Thread: rocking to sleep?

Default rocking to sleep?

at about what age to babies just fall asleep by themselves without needing to be rocked? my back is starting to kill me as daughter is about 7 kilos and growing by the day........

I think each bubba is different. Some babies self settle others don't. With DS I found oter ways to sooth him like patting, rubbing, sitting down to rock. it takes a little while to get them out of the habit of rocking but if you rock and then switch to something else eventually they don't need the rocking anymore

I think Jenna started putting herself to sleep from about 8m or so?? But we often still rocked her to sleep. So yeah - it would have been up around the 8kg mark I spose.
    Oh well - she is sleeping pretty well now (FINALLY) so it can't have been too damaging for her.

Im hearing ya on this one!

I rock my son to sleep (well until he is starting to drift off) and he is getting to be one heavy little man . . im guessing he'd be 7kgs by now!

Jesse is around the 7kg mark too and does get heavy. But when i have to rock him if he's in a crabby mood, i just do it for as long as i can, after that i try something else, like just sitting with him and patting him, or sit on the edge of a chair and rock side to side with him resting on your lap so alot of the weights off your arms. You can always start during the day of trying to let them self settle in their bed, that way they get use to it and hopefully will be able to adapt it of a night.
    Last edited by ShootingStar; January 9th, 2007 at 08:22 PM.

If i were to put Zac down when he is ready for his sleep during the day. he would cry.

How long do i let him cry for? How do they "Self sooth"?

Hollo - we have been rocking since birth , Aneta is now nearly 7 months old and wont settle for a nap - or go to sleep for the night unless she is rocked.
    In shopping centre's when she is tired we have to sit down on a bench and rock her to sleep sometimes for 20 minutes.... she now weighs around 9kg so i feel your pain !!

I have a weird feeling that this will go on until she is old enough to be told that she can go to sleep by herself. I would like to help you break the habit but i dont know how to do it myself as controlled crying is not an option for us
    Good luck to us !

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Have you thought about a hammock? You can hire them but not sure what size they go to.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

Hollo we felt the same way with Ella. She is only 5.5kg but would take 30-40mins to get her to sleep originally. It got so bad i saw my GP about wrist and shoulder pains. I was putting heat packs on them during the night.

My GP said i needed to stop rocking. But i couldn't. The same as Zac, Ella would cry if i just put her down. But we couldnt continue the endless rocking so i eventually weaned her off the constant rocking over the course of a week.

There were some tears, but she actually surprised me and did picked it up quickly. Ella is now 2months and we only rock her now if she's very upset. But as everyone tells you the trick is to get them to bed when they just start showing their tired signs.

Ann

Quote Originally Posted by zachriska View Post
    If i were to put Zac down when he is ready for his sleep during the day. he would cry.

How long do i let him cry for? How do they "Self sooth"?
    I started by noting when Jesse was getting his tired signs, like rubbing his eye etc.. or when he was just closing his eyes, then i would put him in bed and he got use to falling asleep in there. Does Zac take dummies? Ive found dummies and soft soothing music a great help. Jesse also has a mobile that spins i found helps too.

thanks guys. i have tried all of those things but the only thing she will go to sleep with is me rocking her in my arms while listening to rock music!!! i don't mind that much as most of the time it doesnt take that long, but i am imagining having to rock a 12 month old or older to sleep and that kinda scares me!!!! :-)

Kynan is 19m old and has only just started not needing me to cradle/rock him to sleep on some days (for his day sleep - he can self settle of a night). Sometimes if I'm thinking about all the stuff I need to do it can be annoying but most of the time I enjoy watching him drift off in my arms and most days it only takes 10-15 minutes anyway. I stopped standing & rocking him a long time ago though, it was too hard on my back & arms! Now I sit on the side of the bed, my feet up on base, with Kynan cradled in my arms but with most of the weight on my legs IYKWIM?

hello!
    i rocked savanna to sleep till about 3 and a half months
    i would wrap her then sit on the couch and rock her with my knees bent up and tap her at the same time. this worked well but when transfering her to the cot she would sometimes wake.
    so then i decided to try wrapping her then placing her in the cot when she is showing tired signs. i place her dummy in her mouth too and turn her mobile on and in about 5 mins she is fast a sleep. i might need to put the dummy back in a couple times but its sooo much better that sitting or standing and rocking for like half an hour to an hour.
    she just automatically turns her head to the side and puts herself to sleep.
    sometimes if she isnt as sleepy she might talk herself to sleep for a bit then be out like a light

you can only try and see if it works

i have the winnie the poo mobile which has a projector light and continuously plays music for 15 mins then shuts off. its fantastic!!!

I have been rocking my bub to sleep for about 4 months now (the first 3 months was because he had major reflux and the doctors kept saying he was okay)...but yesterday I started putting Riley to sleep in his cot (he's just outgrowing his pram/basinette now) and after some/a lot of screaming he finally settled himself and slept. I had to pat, sing and even have my face real close to his before Riley would relax enough to sleep.

I don't think there's any particular age to do stop rocking a bub to sleep, I just think you do what you can to cope...don't let anyone tell you that there is a definite way to do anything.

angelique Guest

Hi There,

I found that this was my downfall. Rocking to sleep leaves some little ones so used to it that they cant go to sleep without it. If the rocking is bothering you my advice is, get into the habbit of getting them off to sleep in their cots. My back was aching for 4 months because of the rocking to sleep I was doing (and she was only about 5kg then!!) I bought myself a cot rocker which makes it easier to rock the cot. It just stops you from picking them up. Hope this helps and saves your back.

Hi, i sometimes rock and Charlotte is nearly 6 months, most of the time she will put her self to sleep, but if she gets over tired she will need me to help put her to sleep, at the moment she wants me to rock as she has a cold.
    As soon as i moved her into her cot there was a change straight away, she would put her self to sleep.