Thread: Rolling over whilst wrapped

Default Rolling over whilst wrapped

My son only really sleeps when he is securely wrapped, or else his arms start flying everywhere and wakes him up. Whilst I am happy with him being wrapped, he is at the age of starting to roll, and I have noticed that he is trying to when he is wrapped.

My question is - if he was to do this when his arms are wrapped to his sides, what are the chances of him suffocating? I ask this because I notice when he its tummy time, when he gets tired, he doesn't put his head down on the side, but puts his head down face on the blanket! He doesn't seem to know yet to turn his head.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I would probably say if he tends to keep his face down forwards when he gets tired, I wouldn't really be comfortable letting him roll while fully wrapped. Have you tried having one arm out? That would help him roll back over but still make him feel secure?

Jacob does the same thing on tummy time and he is wrapped up at bed time also....... hmmmm... interested to see what everyone thinks also....
    I guess when Jacob starts to roll I will be inclined to leave him un wrapped.
    Tucking him in really tight might have to be the new wrap!

Look forward to hearing more.... thanks for starting the thread!! definalty a question I would be asking soon!!!

xo

Hi there

I would try and get him out of wrapping for safty reasons. I only took me 3 days or so to get my son use to being unwrapped.

Good luck!!!

One other thing, Emma used to be tightly wrapped & would roll onto her tummy, but she was much older (almost 12 months I think). I wasn't sure what to do but in the end I felt she was safe & strong enough, so let her do it for a while until we figured out how to get her to sleep unwrapped. That probably doesn't help but I thought I'd mention it...

Great thanks for that. I also wonder if it can be a problem that when he is on his tummy unwrapped, he puts his face straight down when he is tired?? If he rolls in the night unsupervised, could this be a worry?

Awww lovey I think you need to relax or do what I did. I got my DH to go by that monitor that you put the plates under the basinet/cot and if for some reason there is not movement/breathing the alarm goes off in 20sec. Its takes abit getting use to as you have to turn it off or by the time you get out in the kitchen or where ever the alarm is going off...lol...and its loud. Once We got this I put my son in his room and not ours as he was because I was always checking on him cause I was scared of sids. The best thing we ever brought. Its called Angle care or some thing like that. Baby galour has them.

Good luck

Olivia Guest

hi

i started wrapping one arm out at 7/8 weeks after i found Lugh on his tummy with his head only slightly to the side ...also increased tummy time to build up strength.

It must be a tough call because I remember Maddy started rolling at 4 months and once she could roll over she would go to sleep on her tummy no matter how much we tried to get her to sleep on her back.

Have you tried Cooper in a sleeping bag? It won't fix the arms waking him up issue, but perhaps it'll make him feel more secure without being completely binding? I can certainly understand you're concern, if he's lying on his belly and puts his head face down to rest, I too would be concerned about him not turning his head especially when his arms are restrained as such.

I personally would move to a sleeping bag (which is what we did when seth started doing this), or unwrap arms.

Goodluck!

*hugs*
    Cailin

There is a special wrap that you can do, it has to do with arm positioning, so that its very difficult for the baby to roll on to their stomach - just stay on their side. Your MCHN might have an idea - Milo was an arms out baby, so he was in a grobag by 5 months, and he didin't roll til nearly 6 so we didn't have that issue.

NewmumLou Guest

I know it is hard but if he is wrapped tight, i wouldnt let him roll over when asleep. Or if i were you i would try having day sleeps without wrapping so tight, so if he does roll he can support his own hands and neck with his hands. Then hopefully encourage this at night

OK so I am definitely not going to wrap him anymore, because the same day he rolled over wrapped with both arms to his side.

So last night, I only got about 3 hours sleep. I tried not wrapping him and he just thinks its play time. Finally he exhausted himself about 2.30 and fell asleep, but half hour later he was wide awake throwing his arms everywhere and giggling!

All night it was up and down, never lasting more than an hour of sleep, and when he was awake he just wanted to play. Finally I just had to wrap him, but it was much looser than normal, he was so exhausted, just like I was.

It's the arms - they just seem to wake him up if they even move an inch! I also tried just having one arm out.

Kirsty77 Guest

Jasmine does the same thing. She will only sleep tightly wrapped but now rolls onto her tummy. What I use is a anitroll pillow. Its fantastci cause she can't go anywhere she may get as far as her side but thats it. Jasmine is strong enough though to lift her head if she rolls onto her tummy as I've found her just about fully on her tummy a few times now and she seems to prefer it. Typical that they prefer the way that is the unsafest to sleep. Gemma was the same!

Olivia Guest

Go with one arm in, one out, or maybe get a SAFE T Sleep thingo, google it.

Awww mum2boy im sorry you had a bad night...Try one arm. but trust me if you unwrap him during the day, he will get use to it. It didnt take me long to get him out. Try one arm of a night and maybe unwrap him during the day!!! At least he will be tired if he wakes alot during the day for the night..

Good luck and let us know how you went!!!