Thread: routine

maggie Guest

Default routine

hi

DS 14weeks goes to bed more or less same time every night, and we do the bath,feed and then bed and it works quite well. but during the day we have no set routine. he can be up anytime from 6am/to 7am,, then over the course of the day he can have several sleeps being 40min catnaps to the occasional 3hr one. he has no set sleep times though during the day. anyone else just go with the flow. or should i also have a set routine fir the day. ta

Kirsty77 Guest

With Gem I always followed her lead, just went with the flow. I never wanted to force her to go down for naps as I myself would never want to be put down if I'm not tired. With Jasmine we are going to do the same. Even with bed time with Gemma now we follow her lead as some nights obviously shes more tired than others, but at your DS's age we always had a set bedtime as she was so easy to put down!!

I heard I think Lucy call it a rhythm & thats what we go with. Around a certain time of the day certain things may happen... and thats what we do. For Matilda she thrives on strict routine so before bed we have an order of the way we do things, but we always follow the rhythm of whats going on. So if she's not tired at 7pm we wait and read some more stories and have quiet play with her... etc (she's 2 1/2). With Jovie who has just turned 6 weeks, its all on demand, she's tired and we put her to bed. She's hungry & I feed her....

maggie Guest

thanks guys.. i was not keen on doing the strict 3 hr routine which MHN suggested. up 1.5hrs, down 1.5hrs.. wow sometimes DS feeds every 2 hrs, sometimes more often , sometimes less. people who can do this strict routine amaze me

Maggie- my DD will be 14 weeks on mon, she sounds similar to your son. We also have bedtime routine but during the day just go with the flow, if shes hungry I feed her regardless of time of last feed and when shes tired she'll sleep for as long or short as is enough for her.

I agree.. just go with the flow. I did that with Jesse and he's kinda set himself a routine. Whenever he starts to look sleepy during the day ill put him in his cot. He'll then self settle and can sleep for up to 3 hours. If he wakes after only a half hour (which is prob every second day) i just let him try and settle himself again. He can be in there talking his head off and then may get a bit stroppy so ill give him a dummy, play his music and he goes back to sleep. I like the idea of him having that long sleepy during the day... means he's a happy baby in the evening.

i have been told that will not really start to get a routine happening until they start solids and sleep through the night, Charlotte is 5 months old and i still follow her lead, though she is starting to get into a rountine.

Toby is doing pretty much the same during the day.
    I would also like to see a bit more predictability in his day but I'm finding it pretty impossible to get it happening with a toddler demanding my attention as well. It was so much easier for me the first time *sigh*.
    He is sleeping well at night though - wakes to feed once or twice and goes straight back to sleep with no dramas - so I'm trying to be happy with that for now.
    Awake in the day I can cope with, but if he wasn't sleeping at night THEN I would be a mess.