Thread: she keeps on hitting her head!!!

Default she keeps on hitting her head!!!

i just need to have a little vent here.

well, in the last couple of days jelly has discovered the joy of pulling herslef up on object to try to stand, or even just standing up by herself without anything to hold onto - of course she goes straight back down again. the thing is in the last three days she has hit her head hard at least three times. one of these times was particularly bad - i expected to see her scull crushed in ( as it was, the shape has changed slightly and she is now more pointy on top.) despite all of this she appears to to healthy and happy, without anything seriously worrying.

the thing is i just don't know how i am meant to cope with all of this head banging! it is stressing me out and i feel so guilty and horrible and panicking whenever she takes a spill, like it is all my fault and i am the worst mum in the world.

logically i know this is not true, but i cann't help feeling that it is my job to protect her from everything - but how am i meant to protect her from herself? on one hand i hope she can find her sense of balance and starts walking soon, but then i think of all the other scrapes she can get herself into once she does.

wow - i really wasn't prepared for this side of parenting.

Milo is still only up to pulling up to his knees, so I haven't had to deal with this one too much yet. My girlfriend has though, she drove herself batty running around after her DD dropping pillows and cushions behind her just incase.

So, I'm not sure other than constant supervision what else you can do, but I hope someone else is, cos I'd sure love some ideas

This is a tough one. Jenna was up and walking around furniture before 9m, and then walking at 10m. I think the biggest problem is when they are moving around so early, the really haven't got the understanding that if they aren't careful they may hurt themselves.
    Jenna had lots of bumps and things, it was heartbreaking, but its completely normal I think.
    Just get rid of all the pointy dangerous stuff in the room, and maybe try to limit her play area to where there is soft landings.

A toddler in my MG has just started walking (@18m) and because she is so sure of herself, she isn't falling over or getting any bumps. Its an age thing.

The worst one is where the teeth go through the flesh behind the lips! That is scary.

Matilda was pulling herself up at 6 months. Scary... and yep the worst was the bruises she got from falling over & landing on her head. It was awful. We set up a play pen & lined it with thick quilts and she would still come out bruised.... It is awful to see, but like others have said, try & get rid of pointy objects (put thick wads of blue tac on any table corners that may hurt), set up a padded environment where she can pull herself up in the safest manner... and hold your breath. The helmuts a good idea as well

They are sure to take a few tumbles, and some you cant prevent. I watched over DS like a hawk when he was at this stage, luckily most of the time he landed on his bum. But I was there usually to catch his fall. Even when watching them you cant catch them every time they fall so dont feel bad. They are robust little creatures.
    I moved alot of things out of the family room that he could potentially hurt himself on when he started walking. Manily things he could pull onto himself. We have been lucky, he has had no accidents with the walking stage yet! So it does get easier and you will be able to relax a litte more soon!

It is so hard! I know how you feel, I feel guilty too, often. I don't really have any advice, sorry, but don't feel guilty. She is learning & will learn what will hurt her & learn how to do it in a way that won't hurt her.

I think they are much tougher than we give them credit for...

Yep... try not to stress too much... it's just part of it... I agree with EllyBoo: they are robust. Try to turn it into a positive and consider how it's helping to increase their pain thresh-hold. That might sound mean to some parents but you can't do anything to prevent it other than being as vigilant as you are being. Maybe discuss options and strategies with a MCHN.

Sometimes it's hard to know if a fall/bump is bad or not but the best guide is their behaviour: if they bounce back after a kiss and a cuddle then most likley there's no harm done. Just keep an eye out for drowsiness after a head injury. Maybe do a first aid course... this has helped me feel less stressed out about childhood accidents