Thread: Sheepskin to keep baby warm at night?

Question Sheepskin to keep baby warm at night?

I have an 8mth old and he has been waking at night and screaming while he cries when I put him back to bed (normally after a feed and a cuddle). Putting aside that he's fed and cuddled... We may have figured out he's cold in his cot.

I have a sheepskin and an acrylic "wool" underlay thing. Is it safe to put his sheepskin under his flannelette fitted sheet to keep him warm? I think the SIDS guidelines say don't put baby to sleep on a sheepskin (or something), but I also don't think the acrylic thing will be warm enough.

What should I do?

I personally wouldn't use the sheepskin as I would worry about overheating. What about flannelette sheets, baby sleeping bags and/or an oil column heater (mini one)? Acrylic would be uncomfortable to lie one I would imagine...

We just bought our DD a sheepskin on the weekend and the lady at the ABA said it was fine above or belw the sheet. She's been sleeping on it since and it's lovely and wamr without being too hot - we don't like to keep the house too hot at night and so we figured it was better to have the sheepskin. DD only wear a grobag at night though - no blankets. I asked about SIDS and the lady said it was safe so I'm not sure!

Not sure about the sheepskin, but with Charlie we are now using a winter sheet & we have some of that foam eggshell mattress below the sheet....that is soooo much warmer & fits the length of the cot as he always sleeps in a funny position.

I have no idea if a sheepskin is safe or not, but have you tried warming his bed before putting him down? You could put a hot water bottle or wheat bag in just before he goes down. Probably won't help if he is waking up cold though.

on a journey called life, finding our way home

We used a sheepskin under the sheet for our last DS and he slept much better because we had the same problem, Im not sure if this is the right thing to do or not!! but i was told that sheepskins do breath through the skin so it was ok, If you dont feel ok using that a nice breathable blanket under the sheet will also work but not the polerfleece ones I heard that they dont let air flow through.

I am all for the sheepskin as I have used a sheepskin from the moment my DD was born and she is now 2. I know that babies/children cannot over heat with a sheepskin as it keeps them cool in summer and warm in winter. I have put our sheepskin under her fitted cot sheet and it has worked wonders. Although when she was a baby baby, we used a 'wedge' to keep her from rolling onto her stomach for SIDS reasons and that worked well, but we stopped using that when she could roll herself.

Just thought I'd add- If you want some more info, go to the ABA website/products and services/looking back...Tarweena Lambskins. According to the ABA Lambskins are fine to use directly under the bub, it keeps them cool in summer and warm in winter as wool allows the air to circulate through the fibres.

As long as they are actually lambskin or sheepskin they will be fine, I don't think the brand matters... we have a fitted seepskin mattress underlay and she has had it on her bed over winter and summer. Do you use a sleeping bag?? We have bought a Snugtime sleeping bag just recently that is a 2.5 TOG and it is fantastic - it is soooo warm and even though at times we still have to put extra blankets on the sleeping bag keeps her legs, chest and back warm.
    Good luck tih ti