Thread: Shopping List

Default Shopping List

I wasnt really sure where to put this so sorry if its in the wrong place.

I have a million and one questions leading up the birth of our baby and everyone seems to find it funny that none of them are related to the birth but of whats to come after. So anyway to the point......

I am running out of things to buy the baby before her arrival and I just can't seem to kick the feeling that I have forgotten something that I am going to have to rush out for as soon as we get home.

If you were to write a shopping list of baby things what would be on it. By this I don't mean big ticket items I mean supermarket type items.

So we have Nappies (3 boxes so far but too scared to buy more out of fear she will grow out of them before she uses them)
    Baby powder
    BABY NAIL CLIPPERS - I can't believe I actually remembered that one. I've seen some newborns with longer nails then me.

Anyway you get the jist......

TIA

DoubleK Guest

umm wipes, baby bath/shampoo.. im not too sure, its been so long!

re the nappies, if you are buying them on special, why not buy the next size up. one of the mums in our mums group bougth 5 boxes of huggies newborns... and had 3 boxes left over... it wont hurt to have the next size nappies..

umm maybe you could stock up on some baby food (if you plan to use this type) pureed fruit, maybe even teething rusks.

thats all i can think of really. i still have bottles of baby oil, heaps of baby powder.. that we never even used!

Don't forget the nappy rash cream (just in case!)

Are you planning on breast feeding if so, put Lanosh(? to spelling)purple tube safe for bub, on the list can be a life saver if you get a cracked nipple.
    Bibs
    Wipes
    Nappies(you have already)
    Baby wash
    Baby brush(incase of lots of hair)
    Nappy bags
    nappy cream (paw paw cream lucus is good for newborns)
    nappy bag
    change mat
    Singlet
    jumpsuit
    change of clothes
    socks
    sick cloth for burping
    baby wrap
    baby blanket
    breast pads
    maternity pads

hope this helps!

snoopea has pretty much everything covered.

It might pay to buy a pack of terry toweling nappies to use while feeding bub, in case he/she has a little spew.
    Buy cheap undies for after the birth. You bleed quite heavy, and you'll probably just chuck them out anyway. Preferably dark ones.
    Definitely stock up on the nipple cream in case of cracked nipples, and plenty of breast pads just in case.
    You can never have enough wraps.
    Good idea about buying next size up nappies.

don't forget with the nappies, to tuck the receipt inside the top of the box. That way if they outgrow before the box is open you can take them back and swap without any fuss.

Be careful on the creams/lotions/soaps etc. I only used water with Darcy for months because everything else gave her a rash. i had so many lotions and potions that i just gave away becasue that's what everyone seems to buy you when the baby arrives.

Off the top of my head, I'd say:
    Wipes, wipes and more wipes
    nappy sacks (Big W has them really cheap)
    baby cotton buds
    nappies in the next size up
    nappy-san
    extra laundry detergent
    dummies (if you plan to use them)
    baby panadol - good to have ready just in case
    extra batteries for all those cute toys and gadgets you've gone and bought. Better still get rechargables as you go through so many batteries.

Also stock up on some household basics like toilet paper, coffee/tea, long life milk, biscuits or snacky sort of things for unexpected guests or just for your snacking. You may not feel like going shopping in the early days.

HTH

DoubleK Guest

oh i forgot about the undies for yourself, i bought a 6 pack of cheap knickers, and i think i went through about 4 packets of maternity pads.
    also, breast pads - i used the homebrand sposie's.. they worked perfect for me. i think by the time she was 6 months old, i didnt need to use them anymore..

and the terry towelling nappies come in very handy, i still use about 3 a day!

baby thermometer - can be expensive, but try getting the one you just press on the forehead and it takes the temp in like 5 seconds. As bubba gets older it's a struggle to get them to stay still with the thingy under the arm for the minute that it takes. Especialy when they are a bit wriggly, because they are not feeling well.

Some gripe water (if you are going to use that) just in case. Better to have than to look for it at a 24 hour chemist at 3am

Waterproof matress covers Yes, even if they don't pee it wet, they can vomit ... You will need about three. One in the wash, one on the matress and one for that 2am emergency ... they do happen. I once had to change the bedding FOUR times in one night

Did someone say spitrags yet?? I had like 10 toweling nappies that I used for spitrags. Lifesavers, always have one at arms-length.

Can't really think of anything else ... a fan heater to keep bubba's room nice and toasty? Could be a lifesaver when breastfeeding at night.

PHONENUMBERS!!! Write down the numbers of the hospital, ABA, a midwife, the pead sel number .. anyone that you can call at night and stick it near the phone. You will notice that I put a lot of emphasis on nighttime, but that is when things get really out of hand sometimes.

Goodluck and ENJOY your bundel!!

Thanks guys, this has all been really helpful.

We bought a thermometer a little while back because I couldnt imagine using one under the arm on a baby.
    Didn't think to buy nipple cream or breast pads though so they can go on my list and will definately have to start a stock of nappy san.
    Baby Panadol is something I wouldn't have thought of either and I am having trouble finding the nappy sacks (you do mean those nice smelling bags that you put dirty nappies in right??) but will def have a look in Big W now.

You just don't don't realise how much there is to get and I didn't want to get stuck having to take a 3 day old baby shopping for all the things I forgot. You are all absolute angels THANKS

What's Gripe water???

curl Guest

Everyone else seems to have everything covered but just one other thing.... do you have plenty of wash cloths/face washers? We only had 4 when our first was born and DH had to do a shop and bought some more.

And yes nappy sacks or stink pretty bags are for the used nappies so your bin doesn't stink as much.

Good luck with everything I'm sure you'll be fine. As for grocery shopping, can you get it delivered from your local Coles or Woolworths. They do charge a small fee for delivery but I've found them invaluable in the early days as sleep for you and bub is vital without having to worry about groceries.

I thought i was very prepared but here are some things i learnt.
    1. If you are breastfeeding expect alot of breast pad usage!!!!
    2. Wipes - you go through sooo many
    3. Face wash towels - useful for bathing baby, used as a wipe, stopping breast milk from dripping. Endless uses.
    4. As everyone said, do not over stock on nappy newborn sizes and plus your friends might buy some for you so keeping the receipt is a very good idea
    5. Yup some lotions, baby powder, baby wash arent required at all

someone on freebay gave me a really good tip - using flannel-backed plastic tablecloths as waterproof sheets. buy them at $2 shops, they would be good for use in bassinet, cot or single bed. even if u already have a waterp[roof sheet u could use these for spares/emergencies!

Curl - we have SOOOOOOOO many facewashers!! We were given 3 sets of 8 facewashers that came with hooded towels at our baby shower, I'm glad we got so many though because like you said they have so many uses. Some of them are thick and some are quite thin which I was also happy about, especially if bubs is anything like me and has quite sensitive skin, they could come in handy as replacements for baby wipes for the first bit until her skin settles a little.

Gripe water is something that I used for baby when they get colicy. I have no idea what they call it where you guys are, sorry. Google it. Don't you call it baby's friend or something??

Oh yes - a dropper or syringe!! Does not help you have baby panadol and no way to get it in bubba's mouth!! Ask at the pharmacy!
    Last edited by Nadine216; April 23rd, 2008 at 11:46 PM.