Thread: Sore, red, sores, peeling thumb from thumb sucking - What can I do?

Question Sore, red, sores, peeling thumb from thumb sucking - What can I do?

My DD sucks her thumb and it's never been a problem before but the other day she must have sucked on it more than usual and now it's red and peeling and has sores on it. She keeps complaining that her thumb is sore. What can I do to help it heal? TIA

If you put something on it will she just suck it off hun? I would be thinking something like paw paw lotion that if she does suck off won't hurt her? or maybe you could pop a bandaid over the top as well?

Quote Originally Posted by Tanstar View Post
    If you put something on it will she just suck it off hun? I would be thinking something like paw paw lotion that if she does suck off won't hurt her? or maybe you could pop a bandaid over the top as well?
    Yeah that's what I was thinking. That's why I am unsure what to put on her thumb. I don't want her ingesting something she shouldn't ingest.

I will ask my aunty, as my cousin had the same problem when she was little and hers got bad to the point of infection.

DD2 just had this!
    I put nipple cream (lasinoh) on it after every nap so it had time to sink into her skin b4 she sucked it off at nap time.
    Took a little while but its all healed now

skybie & Tanstar - I like the suggestion of nipple creams (lansinoh, paw paw) because they are safe for babies to consume.

Pandora - I'd love to hear what you aunt did for your cousin.