Thread: Sticky Eye help

Default Sticky Eye help

Hey Everyone

Avaleigh has been getting sticky eye on and off for a little while now. Its not as bad as the first time where her eye got a little red and swollen but it just doesnt want to go away. It clears up for a day and then comes back.

What are some things I can do to try and get rid of it? I've been keeping it clean and trying to massage the tear duct but she swirms and cries! I've heard that I saline solution can be used, do I need to go to the doctor to get this or can you get it over the counter at the chemist?

Thanks!

You can use breast milk or a mix of salt and warm water.

Yep if you are bf, breastmilk is the best thing for sticky eye. I would express a tiny bit into a cup & use a medicine dropper to put it in her eyes.

Agree breastmilk works well!!

You should be able to get something from the chemist over the counter or b/m like the other have said.

If it's a blocked tear duct that is the problem then they may have to probe it (will involve a GA)but I'm not sure if that's something they will do in a bub that young. Both Mason & Angus had blocked tear ducts and grew out of it but I can't remember how old they were when.

hehehe I have been using breast milk but was afraid to post it incase I was crazy!!

How often should I use the breast milk and how much? The first time I tried it cleared up right away, second time it cleared for a day and then came back so last night I did the breast milk thing at her last two feeds and am planning to keep doing the same today until its all gone and gone for a few days..

When Natty got sticky eye I made up my own saline solution and bathed her eye every nappy change for 24 hours. (Even when it looked clear, I kept going with it.) I would assume you can do the same with breastmilk (I wish I had've thought of that! Should have posted on here instead of going to the dr ).

Saline is available over the counter although a warm salt water mix works just as well.
    If you think it may be a blocked tear duct you can gently massage under the eye in the direction of the duct to help clear it. Follow up with a saline/BM/salt water was. Always wash from the inside out (nose to cheek) and always use one cotton wool ball (or whatever you're using) per stroke (so as not to re-contaminate).

HTH

MG