Thread: Suggestions needed re. waking at night

Default Suggestions needed re. waking at night

We have successfully moved Kayla into her cot now and the bassinette is no longer in use. She goes to sleep with minimal fuss during the day and also goes down well for the night.

She still wakes for feeds at night BUT she has taken to waking up in the wee hours of the morning ie between 2am-4am and thinks it is time to play. She just lays there and talks and is VERY noisey.

My question is what do I do so she realises that it is sleep time and not playtime? Do I just leave her in the cot untill she is unsettled and then go and put the dummy in? May she be too cold?

She is sooo noisey (in a happy way) that we can't sleep (and she is at the other end of the house LOL).

Any suggestions appreciated

We have gone through the same thing (still do) some nights it's happy, some not so! What I do with happy sounds is leave her until she puts herself to sleep again!! Probably no point even going in. She woke at 5am today happy and I had to feed her as I knew it was too late in the mornign for resettling.
    good luck xo

Could you pop a soft teddy or toy in there that she could play with & talk too?
    I think I'd just leave her to try & resettle too, coz I know if I had gone in, she'd be so awake & start cryinbg when I left that then we'd have that to go through as well...
    Maybe turn the radio on in your room to block out her happy noises??? Good Luck!

Matilda did this on & off for most of her first year of life. Sometimes she would be awake for 2-3 hours and we would be in bed crying listening to her laughing. We tried going in & giving her a toy but then that would upset her because she would want to get out & play with us, so we would stay in bed until she got a little unsettled & then go in & give her a small feed & resettle her. Good luck!

I can't say this has happened to me - if Emma wakes during the night it is usually not happy LOL. I would probably leave her & see if she eventually resettles herself once she is tired again or if she cries, go & feed & resettle her. I does sound so cute though!

Owen does this during the night sometimes..not for very long now though, he's usually back to sleep in about 15-20 mins(that is if he doesn't crack it and want a feed!!)but this only changed when we gave him a teddy/blankie..it was given to us when we had him (was only from best & less-cost about $10-and has a lion head and blankie body)but i was so paranoid about giving it to him until he was a few months old(thought he could smother himself).
    We have recently been to sleep school, for help with day sleeps and they said not only is it fine for bubs to have a small teddy or such as a comfort, but they had just recieved notification from the sids association that they find it acceptable for bubs to have one small soft toy in bed to cuddle.
    Owen now wakes up, sees 'snuggle' is with him, has a chat and then cuddles into him and goes straight back to sleep..this is an absolute godsend..

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Pinky McKay's new book is out in early July, there is a thread about it in the General Chatter forum - it's a great book, I have a pre-release copy. I think EVERY mum needs one of these as a quick reference for ideas and reassurance too
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Hi Nadine

I had to have a little giggle at her being happy and talking in the middle of the night. Kayla is such a cutie pie!!

Lucy sometimes wakes up and although she isn't happy she only has a little whinge, not really a cry. I'm pretty sure it's because she's cold, she's unwrapped herself by then. I go back in and give her the dummy and re-wrap her (as best as I can without turning any lights on!) and that has sent her back to sleep.

Now I'm putting her in a 'sleeping bag' type suit to go to bed and so far she hasn't woken up with it. So I'm hoping it was cold and that's fixed!

Hope you manage to sleep through the chuckles!!

Thanks everyone for your replies

It seemed to have stopped now (well for now anyway ). May have just been a faze she was going through.

We have bought a grobag and she is in that now, so maybe she was cold. I will definately try the teddy/ blankie thing (we have one of those), if she does it again.

Thanks for letting me know about the book Kelly. Sounds like it's worth buying.

Thats what I was going to suggest too Nadine. Jessica used t wake at about 3am and it was cos she was cold, sleeping bags went on adn we heard not a sound after that.
    Hope it stops for good now!
    hugs Michelle