Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming

katanya Guest

Our local pool has free lessons in school holidays(Laurie Lawrence Swim Centre) for 5 days in a row, I took Felix when he was 4 months excatly, and even though he loved the water, he took some in on the first day and then got really sick for the rest of the time. So we missed out!
    I took him again recently just for a dip and he just seeemed that bit more excited about the water IYKWIM, I think for Felix 6 months is better.

I am hopefully am going to get him into the free clinic this summer, and then start lessons in the new year

Jackie Guest

Thought this was due for revival, being an ex swimming teacher I have pretty strong views on water safety which of course means teaching kids to swim as early as possible, by either a proffesional or mum/dad. With so many back yard pools etc in Australia it is so important.
    So, who of you take your kiddies to swimming lessons or teach them yourselves?? How old were you when you learnt to swim or did you never get the opportunity to learn??
    I learned to swim when I was about 5, and taught all of my kids from about 3, should probably have started earlier, but them are the breaks..
    I taught for about 4 years, had a realised how much I enjoyed it I would have started teaching so much earlier. There aren't to many things better, than seeing a youngster who was terrified of water hopping in the pool and loving it so much that the parents have trouble getting the little tyke out again

Thanks Jackie on reviving this. I have started Matilda on swimming lessons at 7 months old, and she adores water. She loves playing and splashing & going under...she's not too mad keen on laying on her back, but she will get there!

Shayla will be starting swimming lessons in the next few weeks, once we work out which days are best for us. We will be using State Swim.

I have been taking Shayla to Water World and she loves the water, I put her under and everything, so I thought it was about time for real lessons.

Jackie Guest

It's great that you are introducing your babies to water at such a young age

Took Mitchell for a little paddle today and he loved it (born into a family of fishies). He didn't mind when the younger kids gave him a splash when they ran past.
    It was far too steamy inside, but there were lots of little babies in that pool. I sort of thought it was a bit icky though (public pools sometimes give me the shivers) because they were only very tiny and I worry about the chlorine on such new skin.

Jackie Guest

I know what you mean about the chlorine, some pools seem to be a bit generous with the amount they put in, especially in summer when the pool is busy.
    Winter is always a better time I think, as there are less people swimming and so the chlorine doesn't need to be boosted up as often.

mmm I worry about the chlorine too, I always shower Matilda afterwards with baby soad & moisturise

I have only recently taken Mason back to swimming. I took him every week until I had Angus and then couldn't get organised enough to go back LOL!
    Mason has a ball. I don't get in with him now as he is old enough to just have the instructor but he never does what he is told. But what 3yo does!

I took Angus in last week and he screamed bloody murder. I had scratches on my face and shoulders so we got out and I'll try again in a few months.

We have been in our "family" house for around 18 mos the first summer we barely used the pool and DD was around 18 mos old! The year we put a heater on the pool and started swimming quite a lot. DD was a pighead/stubborn sh#5 and wouldn't use floaties/jaacket we tried everything. So she just paddled around on the steps under constant supervision from one of us.

Then on Xmas day we spent the morning in the pool - she got goggles for xmas (amongst othrethings \/ ). She started swimming under water like a little fish, discovering that she could JUST touch the bottom of the shallow end of the pool. No lessons!

She loves swimming, dives in the deep end, jumps up and tries to touch umbrella, swims to the bottom of the pool to do "hi-5s" with you, does breast stroke and dabbles in freestyle, swims under the pool toys and pops up onto them etc etc A PURE NATURAL!! its quite amazing what she can do at 2 and half!!

She wears sunscreen all over - she starts off in bathers but always ends up a "nudie".

Has discovered the warm water jets that feed the warm water from the solar heater and "backs up to them" :-#

Its funny what you learn about labour that you didn't know when you were a "younger woman"..... I always swore I would be the sort of Mum who had her new born baby in the pool doing the cool floaty thing. This is until I realised about the bleeding afterwards, and how it might not be possible!!
    I'm hoping to teach our baby to be comfortable in water myself as I have done swimming instruction in the past. I figure if my baby is happy in the water getting a bit of splashings on the face, can learn to blow bubbles and use goggles etc, when they are about 5-6 I'll get them into formalised lessons. I'm hoping for a swimming champ!! If nothing else, a child that is comfy in the water as Shane adn I have alot to do with anything watery... Sailing, swimming, fishing, etc.....
    Its one of the best things we can teach our kids!
    Fi

Kaleb loves the water - we've got a pool at home and I take him in most days, only for about 10 mins, and he kicks around like mad. I don't put him under the water though, as I figure he's probably too young yet. The swim school near us starts lessons from 3 months. I am wondering if there is any benefit in starting that young, if he'll actually take anything in? What is a good age to start? Can you experienced ones advise me?

Jackie Guest

The main thing that babies learn, is to put their face in the water, lie on their back (with mum's help) and to find the side of the pool (usualy with use of a toy) on the edge in case they fall in.
    At Kaleb's age, it more getting familiar with the water and not panicking if when his face get's wet. I would probably only start taking him to lessons at about 6 or so months, as you are already getting him used to the water and can start teaching him to lie on his back etc at home.

Not sure if this helps you

Ali Guest

I love swimming with my DD. We had a pool in our old house so I wanted her to learn from a safety perspective and get used to the water. She started at about 18months and has now graduated to swimming lessons in a small group with just the instructor. If anyone saw my recent post on her dangerous fall into a friends pool you will know she got to the side and I think it saved her life! =D>

With my 2nd DD I think I will try and do some swimming practice with mum and dad first. We learnt a lot of tips from taking our first daughter to lessons so we know the songs to sing and the little games to play to practice. The cost is a bit much to bear! My SIL (in Darwin) has 5 lessons per term paid for by the NT govt for children under 5. This initiative has reduced childhood drowning by a HUGE amount. What a fantastic idea, I think all State Governments should implement this.

Jackie Guest

The NT are doing the right thing, even if they just subsidised lessons,just until the kiddies are able to save themselves.

I also think that parents should know basic cpr, you never know when it will come in handy..

Thanks for the advice Jackie. I will wait till he's six months I think.

That is a fantastic initiative by the NT government, what a good idea, because I think the cost of lessons can make it prohibitive for a lot of families, especially if you've got a few kids.

The NT scheme is fantastic.....the NT Government & the Royal Lifesaving Association do it as a joint venture, & bombard all parents with information through the mail and TV advertising, & you just ring up to get 5 free lessons per year, for all kids from 0-5 years. So in total you get 25 free lessons, in blocks of 5 lessons, which make up a course.

The first lesson is CPR & basic water safety, and the subsequesnt lessons are all so much fun, but also so much learning. They really encourage both parents to attend with your child, so that the enjoyment and the learning are all combined for the whole family.

Everyone seems to take advantage of it, rich & poor, which is great. And all of the local council and private pools support the initiative, so you can always get a place on a course without a waiting list, which is a relief.

Olivia has had her first 5 free lessons at 6 months, and we continued on with them at $7 per lesson, and I am hoping to squeeze in her 2nd free course before we move back to Adelaide.

As such, water related infant mortalities in the NT have reduced incredibly, which has got to be a good thing.....

WOW that is fantastic Lucy!! That is such a great thing & to have the mortality rate drop shows what a great incentive that is!!

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast