Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming

Default Swimming

So how many of the kidlets have been swimming yet? Or go on a regular basis? Lessons?

We took Paris to the local pool last night for the first time. She had a ball...regular little fish. She has been in a backyard blow up pool before but this was different. I can't believe I actually went LOL! I have been putting it off for so long, but I finally got some swimwear & shorts I can be modest in and I actually didn't feel too self conscious, so I had a great time. She's going to be doing swimming lessons at my gym, so that when she's old enough to do it on her own, I can use that time to have a workout...good plan I thought She also needs to get a new swimsuit, as the one she wore last night is a size 0 :shock: but she actually fit into it fine.

It was so great last night to see all the little ones swimming...I remember when I was a kid and I don't think there were as many little ones who could actually swim. I think its really great and shows how things have changed...for the better.

Anyway rambled long enough LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

I keep thinking about taking kameron to weekly lessons but one indoor pool close to us was a bit pricey I thought. Lady next door used to take her daughter there and told me.

We have outdoor pools not far the other way but I Have never seen them advertise for lessons. So for now he is stuck with his Clam Shaped pool.

Love

Does your council or local pool offer membership or any type of discount service? We are looking into buying booklets of entry coupons as it works out cheaper then paying for normal entry each time. I love how most of the pools in Vic are indoors. I am terrified of the sun, literally I have the fairest skin imaginable (next to albino I am sure LOL) I burn in 5 mins even burn with sunscreen. When I was a kid I was hospitalised many times with severe sunburn :evil:

I am super paranoid about paris' skin I don't think I could take her if it was outside unless it was at night maybe...goodness knows what I am going to do when she's older LOL!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Hey Cailin

Have you tried paris in one of those full bodied swim suits ?? Like what Ian Thorpe wears LOL.

I have seen them about on occasions but not often. I saw the short arm short leg variety the other day for $40 for a size 2, but decided I'd wait a bit LOL.

Might be able to get the full ones in a surf shop or something.

Love

I have but they are a bit ewwww iykwim. But I WILL have to invest in something like that when she's older. I just don't want to risk it. Hopefully she has marc's skin but seeing how fair she is I don't know if thats the case.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Karyne Guest

I think Jeremy will start lessons next year. I would have started him with gymnastics but our centre arent having the younger classes next year so swimming it will be.

All my kids have the shorts and tshirt style bathers with the UV protection. The best places I have found for this style are Pumpkin Patch and Target. We had a full piece long pair once but they outgrew them quicker because they werent separates. IFYWIM.

Default Swimming?

Hi all,

We have taken Olivia into the pool with us a few times and she was OK with it, but we didn't actually do much, just held her and bobbed her up and down a bit.

However, the NT Government are starting a Babies Water Program (for free, god love'em!) at my local pool, for babies of 6 - 8 months. I am really keen, as I would love her to be a water baby, but wondered what others experiences were of babies in the water so young?

Does anyone else attend this type of session with their baby? What are your experiences?

I always said I was going to get Kameron into swimming right at a young age, but then i heard the price of our local indoor pool ($11 a session) at it was too steep a price for me so he never went. I don't think there is any free ones here.

Love :smt049

Lucy,
    Here in Melbourne there is a woman who starts babies swimming basically from birth. She advocates starting them very early as you can easily teach them to take a breath before they go under the water, whereas once they get to about 10 months it is difficult to teach them that again. (apparetnly they have it naturally when really young) I tried my dd at 5 months and she hated it and screamed the whole time but the other 7 babies there loved it. They can be very confident and in theory, can get themselves out of the water if they fall in by the time they are 2.
    I think it is a great idea especially in a warm climate where you are.

Our local swim centre starts with 3mths... my close friend started her little one at 6mths and she only waited that long because it was midwinter at 3mths and Mum didn't want to be too cold...

nops Guest

I am also in Adelaide, I wish there were cheaper and earlier classes here. We have to wait until bubs is 6mths to start and then they are very expensive. It is such a shame.

Nops. Come and join the girls in the SA Forum You can find it HERE

Love :smt049

Anney,

Where is that? And is it expensive?

I want to start Brandon learning to swim, but with his excezma, the doctor doesn't think the chlorine would be great for him. She said short periods in the sea is ok, but fresh water would be best. Guess there's not much chance of getting lessons like that though.

layla Guest

Hi Lucy,
    I started taking Kate to Stateswim ($11 a lesson) when she was 4 months old, she loved it and learned to take a breath before going under.
    It was a really nice experience for both of us to get in the pool together and have fun with the other bubs and mums.
    We stopped going when I broke my foot when she was about 10 months old and I didn't put her back in lessons 'til she was 2 and a half and she hated it then. #-o I wish I had kept it going right through.
    I say give it a try and see how you and Olivia like it.

Emma started swimming at 6 months ... and loved it. We went to State Swim as well and I prepaid for the lessons. We moved when Emma was 10 mths old to a small country town in Victoria and there were no swimming lessons. When I moved back to Adelaide she went back! She was 4 then and loved all over again!!!

Jack has never had a lesson but is reasonably confident in the water as everything I learnt taking Emma, I used with Jack in the bath and whenever we went swimming. Jack has had HUGE ear problems hence the no lessons for him. He will have his first lot of swimming lessons during the summer holidays (hopefully).

I want to take Asha soon as long as I can go on a Thurs or Fri as Emma & Jack have tee ball on Saturdays.

Cheers

I think swimming at an early age is good for them. Emily has been swimming for over 6months now (but I first took her into the pool when she was three months), and she LOOOVES it! I would definately recommed it.

Tanya

We are lucky and have a pool and Kimberley loves to go in it when it is warm. She screams when you take her out.
    I would have started her swimming when she was younger but i choose a day at day care instead of swimming.

Nathan&Alexmum Guest

Hi there we started taking Alex at 6 months he loves it so much and i wish i did the same with my first , as he was scared of the water until he was 3 years old!
    But every baby is different and you do what you think is best for them when!

Take Care!
    Kylie

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast