Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Swimming

Jackie Guest

The other states should really learn from NT, that is just such a great idea.
    I just hate when they show the drowning statistics, so many of them can be avoided, unfortunately not all

I've been taking Emily since she was 6mo, so about 10.5 months. She loves it!! Only thing is she gets used to the warmer water and when I take her to the pool here, which isn't heated, she is reluctant to get in. Also she has gotten to that age where she just want's to swim with either me or her Dad, and has a little sook when the instructor takes her. But she'll get over it.
    She actually likes going under the water, which is cute, 'cause when she comes up from under the water she has a big smile on her face.

Tanya

I took the twins when they were 6 mths, but kept getting ear infections. Left it until they were 2 they are 6 and still having lessons. Little one went for a splash whilst big ones had lesson. She has no fear and loves the water, So now has lessons Since 12 mths coz she just runs into the deep pool, and doesn't even panic. Loves them, flirts with the swimming teacher!!

Fire Fly Guest

I started Claire when she was 18 months old. It goes by the term which lasts 10 weeks and its $11 a lesson. The instructor is fantastic with the kids and its at her house which is indoor with a heated pool. She only allows 4 kids to class which makes it very fair on the littlys. The class runs for 1/2 hour to which is fine by DD. She has a good sleep on the way home.
    It may be costly but i dont care. I think its important that she know how to swim. We dont live near water (yet) but you cant avoid it.
    She is doing so well with it, being nearly 2 she's had a good go. I will certainly keep going with it till she can save herself.

kerrie

I've just booked Yasin in to start swimming lessons with a swim australia center \/. They take them from 6 months on and the new term starts the week he turns 6 months .
    What do they usually do at baby swim lessons? I'm assuming that I'll have to jump in with him. I'm anticipating a few funny looks because my swimsuit makes me look a bit like an alien.
    Because I wanted a saturday morning so DH can come along they've put us in a group with mainly two year olds. Will it be a problem that he's at a really differant developmental stage?

Basically with Matilda swimming was learning to put their heads under and learning to be comfortable with floating and using their arms & legs in the water. And the age group she was in was up to 15 months and the next level up the only difference was using "arms" so instead of them just falling into the water they were lifting their arms up and diving in iykwim? They also were just a bit better at everything but were doing really similar stuff. So he should be fine

And I wouldn't worry too much about what you wear, I wore a t-shirt and shorts as did another mum, one dad wore speedos and one other mum always wore a bikini...LOL so it was up to us what to wear... no one said anything different to us O

Marcia Guest

We started swimming lessons with Hudson at the start of this term when he was 6 months old. Basically you just get in the pool with them and sing songs while doing a range of different things. We lay the babies on our chest/shoulder, front facing and back facing and get them to kick their legs as we move through the water, teach them to hold their breath as we dip them under the water (I think this is a reflex at this age), and after a few lessons we put floaties on them and slowly teach them to kick themself around in the water to get to toys etc. Some babies get the hang of it quicker than others in our group, but they all have fun and splash around a lot. I know it is the one thing guaranteed to have Hudson happy the whole way through the class, and then asleep for a good hour or more afterwards (YAY!). We will definately be doing it again next term.

Dp and FIL have been teaching Nick in the ILS pool since he was 3 months and he absolutley loves it.
    He starts his proffesional lessons in June, so he will be 2 1/2, but he can already swim fine with floaties on and loves going under water and jumping in.

Default Swim School in Hills District

Hi Girls ,

does anyone know of a babies swim school in the Hills district ( Kellyville, Baulkham hills sort of area). Would love one that has Sunday swim school!

Thanks

Have you checked the swim australia website? They have a list of all the swim schools that are austswim accreditted.

Default Swimming Lessons

I just booked Faith in for swimming lessons at our local pool. She is almost 14 months old, I hope this doesn't affect her in anyway, because I didn't start her earlier due to the fact the pool was too far for me to get too.

She seems to enjoy water, but only if I am around her. When it comes to shower time and she goes in with dad, she whines at me and if I then take her in the shower she stops all together.

I know that she can be a bit of a sook, but she is around me pretty much all day. I had a look at the day care centre (right next to the pool centre YEAH), and it seems like an ideal place to send her when I return to the mighty work force. (Doing what? I have no idea but I don't think anyone is gonna throw up on me or bite me!)

I did want DH to take her to the lessons, but he's working 7 days and won't have the time sadly.

I wondered if anyone had been in the similiar situation, as in their baby was older when they started in the water. Did they behave alright?

I've taken her to the pool before, she liked it a bit, but she wasn't loving it.

Kynan was a little younger than Faith when he first started waterbabies classes at 10m old (he'd never been in a pool before). He is quite a sensitive little boy who needs a lot of reassurance so I expected him to have a few issues with such a strange and new situation but he did really well (might help that he loves bath time too!). He had a little sook and clung to me for the first 5-10 mins but got used to things really quickly. I think during the 2nd lesson he had a bit of a cry but we just stood to the side while I reassured him and we joined in again when he was ready. We've just started classes again after about a 5 month break. I thought he would have forgotten it and be scared but he loves it.

Can you take Faith to the pool again before the lesson or get there early so she can spend some time adjusting to the different environment?

my daughter had been in a pool at times but didn't have lessons until the age of 5, when she just took off. She LOVES swimming (shes 8) and is very good at it!! I don't think it matters when you introduce them. xoxo

Olivia started in swimming lessons at 4 months (we were living in Darwin, so the weather encouraged it, as did the government funded lessons!) and she has continued on with lessons and now can swim unassisted, which is great.

Charlie, on the other hand, is a LOT more sooky when it comes to water, and we have had him in and out of lessons as he just doesn't seem to like it. This term however, he is 15 months old, summer is upon is, we have a pool, so I am going to just persevere with him......I know he will get to like it all eventually!!

Oh i'd love to start Ella! I'll have to look into it at my local pool. Thanks for the reminder

Both my DD started swimming at 6 months of age....and if there are anymore i will be doing the same.
    DD#1 has just turned 3 and can swim unassisted. We had the unfortunate incident on sat, where i took my two poppets to my sisters home for a swim. DD had a great time in the pool. THere were adults situated around the pool and 3 adults in the pool. My DD got into some difficulty and began going under, lots of splashing , trying to get herself out. After dropping my DD#2 (not literally, but i didnt care what i lay her on) and almost jumping in, i now realise that her swimming lessons DID save her and had she not been confident in the water, she would have gone under straight away. Theres a lot of 'morals to the story' here, but main one is - persevere .The money you spend on these lessons will pay off....they make kiddies lessons fun these days with props and songs.

My nephew was a late starter (12 months i think). He has just moved to the toddler class (2-3 yrs) and still cries at the beginning of every lesson.

Good luck....she WILL thank you one day.

Kind of funny - over here most kids don't start until they're 3-4 at least! I've been considering giving Elyse lessons, but was worried that she was too young. (she's 3 1/2)

Finished her first lesson this morning!

She hated it at first, was crying and clinging to me, so I comforted her, put her on my shoulder and told her it was okay. Then we did the falling into the water from the ledge thing and she got comfortable and seem to enjoy it.

So, after about 15 minutes (into an half hour lesson mind you) she relaxed and enjoyed it. I was glad because I wanted her to be more water confident. Hopefully, next weeked she will get used to it quicker.

Thanks for all your replies!

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast