Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Swimming

Default Swimming Lessons

We have just enrolled Chloe in swimming lessons, and I have a very silly sounding question to ask! What do they wear? I have some huggies swimmer nappies, is that enough?

If you are doing lessons, it will worth spending the money on swim nappies that are washable. You can get them at Kmart for about $10, or you can get Aqua Nappies which are about $15-20, or the Eenee type which I've seen range in price from $20-25. Cheaper than buying sposie ones. At some stage you might also need to get a 'bum pack', and they require two pairs of nappies, but it's still cheaper to get two washable ones! They last for ages, too, as DS has been using his for 6 months and is only just now about to grow out of them. We have the Aqua Nappy Floatie and it fits from 9-11kg. DS must be just over 11kg now, so we're looking at a new pair soon. I have a pair of Zoggs for him, too, but I had to sew up one side because the velcro doesn't always hold, and even though the back up stud button holds, if there is a poo situation, it will leak from the leg because the undone velcro has loosened the snug fit.
    It's a pity they didn't advise you what swim nappy they prefer you use - my swim school was very thorough and even has an introductory lecture every few months for the new parents to understand the concepts, the aims, and the props used. It also goes through the nappy preference. But my school is a bit moer serious about it's baby swim, being that it is specifically about babies and toddlers!
    Most of all, have lots and lots of fun! And plenty of swims outside of class time - baby has to learn that swimming is fun, not just a Sat morning chore

i was wondering what age you start taking them swimming at?? is six months a sort of good age?? my dd is 4.5 months so am thinking it might be a bit early just yet...

and my main question is: how do you co-ordinate getting them dry and dressed as well as yourself.... how does it work?

Many schools start at 6 months. My school prefers to start them right from the word go. In fact, in a perfect world, they'd get you before the birth and help you with a waterbirth! Babies know how to swim from the womb and continue to have the dive reflex, which starts to diminish from about 6 months.
    In Aust, the sooner babies get used to floating in water and going under water, the better for survival and just plain enjoyment of water
    A buggy/pram is very handy for afterwards, if you're going to have a shower at the pool (many people just towel off, put on trackies and shower at home after rinsing off baby). I find it just as easy to use my Ergo, now that Oscar is mobile. From when he was crawling I'd let him go in the showers, I'd shower myself, get some undies on, then wash him under the shower, dry and change him, quickly put on my clothes and get Oscar into the sling. Otherwise, similar tactic, but strap him into the buggy whilst getting dressed. You definitely work out your own plan of action once you get into the rhythm!

Jodie259 Guest

Most schools won't take kids less then 6 months. But there are some special schools that do.

I think 6 months+ is fine. Shaun has been swimming since he was 6 months and loves it. I had to stop for a while when I got pregnant again because I had such bad morning sickness. But he's back at it. They don't really learn to swim at that age - more just having fun in the water, and learning to hold onto things and not be scared.

I put swim nappies on Shaun - with bathers over the top of them. He has little shorts... but I was able to pick up an all-in-one suit (looks like a wetsuit although it's just lycra fabric). It keeps him a bit warmer.
    The water temperature should be warm enough... but it varies at our pool. Sometimes it's warm, sometimes it does feel a bit cooler. and if they stay still too long - they start to shiver.

So if you are able to find a little bathing suit that covers her chest & tummy - that would be advisable. But it's not totally necessary.

I also have the 'washable' bathers... but I don't use them. I find it easy to use the huggies swimmers and just throw them away after his swim. But they aren't really cheap... just convenient.

It's up to you how you feel about adding to landfill, but the washable bathers are not any harder than rinsing your own swimsuit Unless of course you find it a drag to wash your own and you've found some nifty throw away swimsuit for yourself If you stick to the rule of not feeding within an hour of entering the pool, you'll avoid any soiling of the swim nappy anyway - never had a mishap sticking to this rule of thumb!
    I liked the idea of having just the bottoms on DS from the start because I wanted him to know what water feels like on his skin, rather than having a rashie on. That's cos I'm totally a water baby and want him to love the feel of water as much as I do.
    Babies should be taught in a pool that is as close to body temp as possible. That way they are totally comfortable to learn what is being taught without being distracted by cooling. Nothing words than getting into a supposedly heated pool to find that the pump isn't working properly or that an unfamiliar pool is not as warm as the staff say it is!
    The babies may not be learning strokes at this age, but they are learning very important building blocks to get to that stage, which is why people who have researched baby swimming consider early swimming lessons to be so critical, especially in a country where pools, beaches and dams are part of our lives. Kids will learn to swim and have fun anyway, but if you have a swim school nearby that has a particular interest in baby swimming, then it's worth it.
    I guess my swim school teaches more than just holding on to things. DS knows how to go under and stay under. He knows to twist around under water and climb the pool wall, and, importantly, he knows to get into the water feet first, on all fours. Soon, my class will be teaching our kids to swim between two parents under water. That's a lot more than mere water familiarisation. For us, it's about learning to be safe in the water whilst concurrently having lots of fun.
    Sounds like I take it seriously...I do! Then again, just about everything I do I can't help but get right into and know about a whole range of benefits for it...I think it's the student in me!

NewmumLou Guest

Yeah swimming nappies is definatly something you need, but i also placed a cossie over the top of him, all the other babies in the class had something on also, even if it was just boardies. It is true i bought Joshuas swimmers so cheap from Kmart or Target. Have fun, Josh had a ball at the classes.

Moving to baby & toddler general discussion forum.

Jack started just after his 4 month bday and he wore huggies, a swim top and little pants over the nappy

can't wait for OCT when we start again

Hi!

Yep - Louis where's swim nappies boardies and rashie - he's my little trendy boy! hehehe. Also I find sometimes when he doesn't have much on he can be a bit slippery to hold onto.

He started at around 11 months or so and that was fine - he can now swim on his own with a swim ring. We started off at one place and now were at another so don't be afraid to try different places. This second place is heaps better. A lot more relaxed and fun. I think it's much better for kids not to be pushed and to really feel comfortable so they don't develop any fears of the water.

I'm going to start Dylan with lessons probably term 1 next year...but remember - you don't need to do a lesson to take them to the pools! I find when they're really little you can get them familiar with the water just by taking them yourself! When they're a bit bigger and can interact a little more the lessons are great!

Just my thoughts...

Default Swimming attire attire for a 1 year old

Hi everyone,

I hope I've posted this in the right place - BellyBelly has had a re-vamp since the last time I hopped on!

Anyway, I just wanted to hear of anyone's suggestions/experiences in regards to swimming with a 1 year old. I am hoping to take my son to the beach and/or local pool, but I am not sure whether he needs to wear a regular nappy, wear a special nappy for swimming, to wear a swim suite, or to just go butt naked?!

I would also appreciate any suggestions/experiences on how you had introduced your little one to the water. My son loves his baths and showers, and he's at an age where he wants to explore, but is not able to walk yet.

Thanks everyone in advance))

Well, for me at the swimming pool I always had the kids in swimmer nappies but at the beach I wasn't so strict. If we they were regular "poo-ers" and I knew they had already done them that day then I would let them be naked on the beach (a bit of wee in the sand can't hurt) and put little trunks on to go in the water.

I wouldn't bother with swimmer nappy AND swim suit unless it's hot in which case the all-in-one one's are good to protect their little skin.

HTH! Have fun swimming - and don't forget the 5 seperate bags full of everything else that goes with the beach lol...towels, sunscreen, change of clothes, floaties, buckets, spades, rakes etc etc!!!

Make sure you don't use regular disposables as I have seen one EXPLODE with little micro beads all over the surface of the pool. I imagine this could happen at the beach as well.

Yep regular disposals and pool filters definatley don't agree... and they cause bubs to be much heavier in the water.

I always used a disposable swim nappy which I reused quite a few times in the pool, and sun suit on the beach. 1 yr old skin is very, very sensitive, so I always covered them up as much as I could outside. (swim hats, suit, sunscreen etc)

Our DS wears a swimming nappy and a pair of bordies for the indoor heated pool and an additional sun shirt for outside swimming.

I like the washable/reuseable nappies.

I have had bad experiences with kids being naked at the beach, the sand sticks to their bits and pieces and when you try to get it off it is like wiping sandpaper over their skin. Even in the bath it doesn't wash off or brushing it off hurts too. Its just easier and more comfortable for them to have some type of swimmers or nappy.

Also watch he doesn't eat any sand as when it comes out the other end ouch!!! seen that happen too.

He will love it. Have fun!!

I bought those little swimmer nappies and then I found these little pants. They work the same but you reuse them.. Kmart has them. I don't think I have seen them anywhere else. And they also wore a rash shirt and a hat and sunscreen

Oh and the pants are around $16 and I bought them for my 2nd son when he was 10 months old and my 3rd son is now 2 and ghey are just coming to end of thier life, great value if yoiu ask me if you look at the price of the dipoasbles ones

shar Guest

Hi , I'm a swimming teacher and agree with the advise given so far. Definetly not naked at the swimming pool - a poo results in everyone being moved, a long time scooping and then a longer time adding more chemicals to the pool Huggies Little Swimmers are a good choice and what we used to hand out to parents.

If you want any advise with the actual "swimming" stuff let me know

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast