Thread: Third Baby

Arrow Third Baby

Hi Guys,

I have recently seen a lot of discussion on having a second child and what is the right gap between first and second. This lead me to start thinking about the gap I want for number three. Do you think it is different for the third baby, in that number one looks after/plays with number two and so the gap between two and three isn't quite so important?

If you've got three or more kids (or have some thoughts about this also) can you please let me know how the gaps you have have worked for you? My little DS2 will be 1 in February and DS1 was 3 last October. They get on really well and adore each other, and we were thinking of trying for number 3 soon but I don't want to ruin the closeness that the two of them already have by introducing another sibling too early. I also don't want them to think that the next sibling is intruding on their friendship.

Let me know your thoughts

hi sorka, i don't have an answer to your post but am very interested to see what suggestions you get from experienced mums. we are about to start ttc#2, i would love three but would have no clue what age gap to have. goodluck ttc#3!

Sorka, I have found that having Paige just worked so well for our family. From the newborn stage right through to now, she has just fitted in. All three play really well together and even though they do fight, they are really good companions for one another. Especially with Lindsay now at school, the girls play different games to when he is around - more girly things, but when Lindsay is home quite often they will all be in the sandpit together. There are 20mths between the three of them and even though there will be a bigger gap between Paige and this baby, I still feel that our timing for them was right for us.

In regards to the older two being company while you are feeding a baby etc, that does work really well too, but sometimes it can be disastorous LOL - double the trouble! but overall it is great.

Lexie is our "number 3" and she wasn't planned.......there is only 14 months between her and Charlie......she is now 4 months and Charlie 18 months.

Whilst it is chaos, with a nearly 3 year old as well, the gap works for us. I am in full baby mode, the elder 2 adore little Lexie and none of them will ever remember a time when there wasn't 3.........

However, it is "too close" in some respects.....hard on me in terms of sleep etc, and as I have had mine so close together I have had very little "me time" in the past 3 years, even less sleep and of course havn't had the opportunity to return to work in between.......

But I still wouldn't have it any other way.........

Hi, I would like a 3rd some day, we have 20 months age gap between the girls and its great, but i think i could not do it again, I would be pregnant again by june and it would be too soon, However i think by june next year i would like to fall pregnant so there would be 2 1/2 years between 2 and 3. My MIL had her first 2 with a 20 month gap and then my DH was 4 years later, she said that was far too long.

Sorka, our children are about the same ages....my DD was born in Sep 03 and my DD#2 is 1 in a few weeks time.....im currently expecting #3 (unplanned). So there will be 19mths b/w #2 and #3. Im petrified......the feelings of guilt and worry and slowly dying down, but initially when i got my BFP i was horrified !!!! . Im beginning to bond (i think) with this little stroodle, and im beginning to get excited, but if i could turn back time, i would have liked to have waited till maybe june/july, when Sophie would be 18 months or so.....i really enjoy the 29 mth age diff b/w #1 and #2.....i find #1 helps, was at that age (29 months) when Sophie was born that she could entertain herself for a short time, and i really believe she understood what was going on.....

Good luck in yr decision.

Between my first 2, i have a 21month age gap, but #3 came early, and there ended up only being 14 months between my 2nd and 3rd. But i love it. Although its always hectic, the kids get on pretty well (except when Xander, my 3yo picks on his little brother) but they both adore their little sister. i think maybe a little more age gap would've been easier (there was meant to be 17 months between #2 and #3) as my 2nd son wasnt walking when my daughter was born.