Thread: Time out/naughty spot?

Default Time out/naughty spot?

Hi all

Looking for some advice on how to start either a time out or naughty spot as a discipline measure for DD. She is behaving inappropriately (hitting, biting) at playgroup and at my sister's house when playing with my niece and saying "No" just isn't working.

I'd like to try either a naughty spot or a time out but not sure how to go about it...

How did you start it? Did it work for you?

What are your rules? How long do you leave them?

Is 18mths too young to start? I tried it a few weeks ago and it didn't really work but don't think I went about it the right way...

I'm really at my wits' end with her and need an effective discipline technique...

We were told not to start until they were 2 years old, as before that they wont really grasp the concept.

Time out here is a minute for each year of life, they are given a warning (I count to three) If I reach three then they get time out. However there are no warnings for violence, otherwise they will just hit, bite etc cause they know they are just going to get free shots anyway right? Our time out area is on the bottom step away from toys and anything fun. Explaination for time out is given when they go there, they can move around on the step but if they move off from it I put them back without a word or eye contact, nothing for them to get attention on. Once time out is finished we carry on as normal.

We've only just started putting it into full effect, we havent really needed it before then, and it works really well thus far *touch wood*.

I use the naughty spot for dd2, she is 17 months she responds to it and goes and sits in her spot when she has done something wrong now. We didn't start with dd1 until she was two as she didn't understand I think dd2 does because she watches and learns so much.

i'll bbl when i'm done feeding

I like Supernanny's (Jo Frost) time out strategy and when DD is old enough will probably use that. Similar to BlackCat- a warning to stop the naughty behaviour they are doing or they will go into time out/naughty spot. if they do it again take them to the designated spot, get down to their level and look them in the eye. Explain they have been put on the naughty spot for doing xyz and will stay there for one minute per their age (so 2 years old = 2 minutes). if they get up from the spot, don't speak to them or make eye contact, just get them and put them back on the spot and the time starts again. Once the time is up go to them and explain again why they were put there, then ask them for an apology and hug/kiss.

Don't know if it would turn out to be that simple IRL but it seems to work for Jo! Lol

It depends on the child as to the age - DD1 was fine starting at 18 months and would stand in the corner until I told her she could come back. I tried with DD2 a couple of days ago (when she bit me on the finger!) and it was a huge failure. They are 2 very different personalities and I think I might be more like J in this instance and it will be harder work getting it to work. I will let you know if we do have any success!

We do supernanny style.

Here are the steps we do:
    1. Give 1 warning - if they do it again they will go on the naughty chair
    2. They do it again, put them on the chair
    3. Get down to their level and explain why they are on the naughty chair.
    4. They spend on the chair one min for each year of their age eg. 2 years old = 2mins on the chair
    5. If they get off it, place them back on the chair without talking to them and remain consistant with this.
    6. When they have done their time, again come down to their level and explain again why they were put on the chair
    7. Apology. I get DD to say sorry for what she's done so the word sorry doesn't become an empty word. Eg. Sorry for hitting S.
    8. Kisses and Cuddles.

We have been doing this since Miss J was about 14months. We have a chair that is ONLY used for naughty chair. She knows when she's placed there she has to stay there. It is REALLY tiring at times, but the longer you remain consistent the better result you will gain. Obviously the age that each child begins to understand will be different, but I found by then they are beginning to understand right and wrong.

If i'm out at the shops/playgroup I still do naughty spot. I've been known to sit her next to the wheel of my car in a car park also!

HTH - let me know if you want more info. xxx

We do the naughty corner here - cos no matter where we go, there are always corners to be used (friends house, supermarket etc)

It works well, usually we just have to threaten with the "do you want to go into the corner?" and they stop the behaviour. However, if it is hitting, pushing, bullying of any type - no warning, straight in the corner. This behaviour is not tolerated in our house whatsoever. Both kids hate being stuck in the corner, so they are generally well behaved most of the time.

And sometimes they don't want to stand in the corner, so I hold them there. May seem a bit cruel to others, but if they've punched a sibling or something, they have to do the time for their behaviour. I usually hold their head in place for about 10 seconds and then they get the point that they HAVE to stay there. That rarely happens though, they pretty much know what to do when it comes to corner time.

But like I said - they aren't sent there that often because the threat usually works