Thread: toddlers and falls

mooshie Guest

Default toddlers and falls

hi there

i guess i am posting for reassurance???????? my 17mth old dd took a bad tumble yesterday (which unfortunately i did not see - we were at a party) but i heard it she fell down only one step but thumped her head on the concrete - she screamed straight away - it was the back of her head, there was no vomiting and she was awake for a few hours afterwards - she was cranky most of the day and also today and also today has had a temp - but she seems to be cutting another eye tooth.

well i guess the reason i am posting is because of my fragile emotional state at the moment, the thump was scary and no i am petrified she has damaged her brain or skull in some way - (first dd passed away from a brain tumour 4yrs ago on friday) and all i can think of now is that lani is bleeding in the brain or something really sinister - i know i am probably being quite silly in thinking this but i guess my mind is just going all over the place, as i said she seems to be in goodish type spirits not really herself and a little cranky but it can't all be related can it.

i know kids do things like this all the time, my ds split the back of his head open when he was 3 yrs old, i guess with lani being so young i keep thinking she has done some damage.

anyway sorry for the silly post, i know i am just being overprotective and i seem to be wrapping her up in cotton wool but i just can't help it, no matter how hard i try not to.

i'm sure she will be fine. i don't know, i think with knocks to the head it is always better to err on the side of caution, maybe just pop down to GP if temps persist?

my nephew had a bad fall at my place last week, fell off couch and smashed head on corner of coffee table, the sound was horrible and he did one of those awful painful cries where no sound comes out, after the initial shock, he settled down and was walking around and still eating etc. he seemed fine, but i still would have had a doc check him out if it had of been Jackson.

Michelle, you poor chook. I totally understand. And I agree with everything Shannon said: take her off to get her checked out for your peace of mind if nothing else.

I know of nothing to stop those thoughts: they are inbuilt into mothers for good reason, and in your case, magnified, which is totally understandable.

(Charlie had a huge fall last week and cracked his head and whilst he appeared fine, I was convinced he was in shock, so we popped to our GP to have him checked, for the reasurrance. As Shannon says, no guilt. I totally admit to our GP I am a "paranoid and protective mother". And I left with releif.)

I agree with the others, if you are worried, get Lani to the Drs. What can it hurt?

Me too, just pop down to DR & that way you can feel better about it...

*I also want to pass on big hugs to yourself & family for the sad anniversary on Friday & hope you are all well....

From what you have posted, all signs indicate that neurologically she appears fine. You said she cried straight away, she didn't sleep and there was no vomiting. These are all signs to look for if you suspect a head injury and she passed with flying colours.

Did you take DD to see the Dr? I hope they laid all of your anxieties to rest. I'm sure you've been told that bumps to the head don't cause tumours, but I can absolutely understand why you would be concerned.

I work in a paed oncology ward, and want to pass on my sympathy for your tragic loss. I know it's hard enough loosing a child I have cared for - I simply cannot imagine the pain you and your family feel. I will keep you in my thoughts :hugs:

mooshie Guest

thank you sooooooo much for your replies.

lani woke this morning still quite irritable however her fever was gone, she was very tired tho, i said to dh i know she is knackered from the weekend but i think i better take her to the docs just to be on the safe side.

the doc wasn't concerned about her fall - as she did not lose consiousness, or vomit or get drowsy the fact that she went to teh beach and was giggling and playing in the water was fine for him. when i mentioned the temp that happened the next day, i sort of said it off handed like btw she had a temp yesterday and was very grizzly but she is cutting some eye teeth - he said michelle you know that teething does not cause a temp and lo and behold she has bloody tonsillitis, now didn't i feel like a bad mum not picking up on that one, no wonder she fell on the saturday she was feeling like ****, i just assumed she was ultra clingy cause of all the little kiddies running around as kids do at a 3rd birthday party lol.

so she is on antibiotics (first time and she is nearly 18mths) doc was quite impressed by that lol, and she is having her normal sleep today and back in her own routine so things are good. thank god i took her to the docs.

once again thanks and yes it has been a tough week bloody hard to tell you the truth but onwards and upwards as they say.