Thread: Up time for 12 week old?

Default Up time for 12 week old?

Hi ladies,

My DS has just turned 12 weeks and I was wondering what is the normal time for a bub that age or around that age for them to stay up. It's just that he can only stay up for 1 hour or 1.5 hours max and is then ready to go back to bed for another sleep. Does this sound about right or am I making him sleep too much? We always have the feed, play, sleep routine during the day and just feed, sleep at night so I do hope he knows the difference there. Was just interested as to how long is about normal for him to be "up".

Nita

morgan78 Guest

I dont know what the "norm" is for this age but my DD is 16 weeks and is exactly the same thru the day & she sleeps from 7.30pm to 5am. My thought is that if they are tired they need to sleep & when they sleep they process everything so developments can be a little easier
    will be interested to see what others have to say

1 - 1 1/2 sounds right to me, my nearly 11 mth old can only stay up for 2 hours most mornings, and afternoons it is roughly 2-3 hours at a max. From memory she was up for about that too at 12 weeks. I would just watch and wait for the very first tired signs and you should be fine!
    Good luck!

I keep my 17 week old up on purpose more during the day or else she is awake at night! Since about 13-14 weeks This is how it goes:
    Wake 7.30am feed
    Sleep 9am-11am
    Wake 11am feed
    Sleep 1pm-3pm
    Feed 3pm
    then generally another 45m to 1 hours sleep between 5 and 6
    Feed 6pm
    Sleep 7pm
    It really does go like this but it has been a stretch keeping her up two hours at a time- the last 20 mins is usually me carrying or holding and doing stuff with one hand. If I only keep her up 1-1.5hrs she wakes around 9pm till about 12!! I have to wake her though after her 2 x 2hr sleeps or else she will sleep and sleep. She is hardly grumpy this way and when I put her down for sleep there is not a peep from her. I have read that 1.5hrs at this age (12w) is good up time. I got this off the Ngala (parenting place) website for a 3-6month (very general though)
    Total sleep
    sleep15 to 16 hours total5 hours during day in 2-3 blocks of sleep.10 hours during nightinterrupted by feeds.
    Sleep patterns
    2 to 3 day sleeps 1 to 2.5 hours each;10 hours sleep overnight – may feed 4 to 6 hourly.
    Awake patterns
    1.5 to 2.5 hours awake time between day sleeps;one period of 2 to 3 hours of awake time.
    HTH

That sounds spot on to me. Until they're about 6 months old, they can usually only handle 2 hrs MAX, so 1.5 hours is good for 12 weeks. My DS is 5.5 months (I can't believe that!! it's going soooo fast!) and he still usually only does 1.5 hours awake, especially in the morning. The middle part of the day he can usually handle 2 hours before he gets tired.

He doesn't sleep through the night, has one or two feeds overnight and does 3 sleeps a day of about 1.5-2 hrs (occasionally on a 'bad' day he'll do some 1 hr sleeps or only have 2 sleeps).

HTH.

Thanks ladies, that has helped heaps and made me feel better. I was thinking that I was putting him to bed "too much" and not giving him enough up time. But sounds like I was doing the right thing.

Willow, your situation sounds the same as mine. In the morning he can only really last the 1.5 hours and in the arvo he tends to stay up longer and only have 45min cat naps. I tend to take him out more at that time of the day as he copes better that way. He doesn't sleep through the night either and I am up 2 times booby feeding him. I am really looking forward to sleeping through but I feel that it could be a lot worse so I don't complain too much.

You have all been a big help
    Nita