Thread: Up to what age do they stay in toddler beds?

Default Up to what age do they stay in toddler beds?

ATM we live in a 3 bedroom house, so come Nov, Dec when newbubs is a few weeks old we will need to move Sophie into the same room as DD#1. We've decided against bunk beds, but what age do they stay in toddler beds?
    I saw some cute ones at babyco on weekend, they would fit in there room and still be plenty of room for play (whereas 2 x single would be a bit squishy).
    DD#1 will be 4 in Sept.....is it worth buying 2 for the both of them??

I've been wondering the same. I guess it all boils down to a length/height thing. How long is the toddler mattress you're considering? Is it one of the convertible cot type toddler beds? One of my friends has her 23 month old toddler in a toddler bed made from the convertible cot. She says her DD has really only got a couple more months in it before she'll need to shift into a regular single bed - as she's growing quite long. My DS is really small for his age so I guess we'll get away with this for longer than most. They have only a 2bd house and bubba number 3 is on it's way soon. Something they are considering is a single bed that stores beneath another single bed. Not quite a trundle but the same idea. I think the mattress on both beds is the same thickness. Not sure where they've seen them, but they sound like a great space saving idea. Once the kids are awake they can tuck away one of the beds to free up some floor space.

I don't think it would be worth getting a toddler bed for DD #1, as she probably wouldn't get much use out of it before she grows too big for it, then she is going to need a regular single bed anyway.

Thanks Bon. Im thinking i may get a year or two out of the toddler beds with DD#1? (just beds, not the ones that convert from cots to beds). I could use that for #3 when he/she gets old enuf.....mmm what to do. I dont like the trundle ideas.....dont like bunk beds.....DH is just going to have to get a higher mortgage...LOL

I suppose it makes sense to get the toddler beds if baby #3 is going to use it aswell, besides you could always sell one anyway if you no longer need it. Maybe that is the way to go

OK, I am suggesting this without knowing whether double beds are OK for kids - so if there not someone let me know?
    would you consider having them in a low, double bed (since they're boith girls) like a futon?

From what I've gathered from watching my friends kids, they aren't in those little toddler beds for very long at all.

I wouldn't consider buying one, they just don't last long enough for the money you have to pay for them. Most of my friends have moved their kids out of them about 12 months after getting them.

But I guess it depends on whether the money is an issue for you - if not, then go for it.

ashleigh Guest

Question

Hi, my daughter is 13 months and will not sleep in cot. she used to sleep in there all night when she was a baby. i was thinking about putting her in a toddler bed not a cot that converts but i am unsure. i feel she is too young. even though she sleeps perfectly in my bed.. any suggestions????

Ashleigh...it may not be the cot thats the issue...maybe its coz your not there that she's not sleeping....??
    I agree, i feel 13 months is too young for a bed - toddler or otherwise.
    Could you not persevere a bit more with her - maybe lie on the floor in her room for a bit, or introduce a teddy or something for her to cuddle....