Thread: vitamins - pentivite - sorry tad long

Question vitamins - pentivite - sorry tad long

Hey ladies - how are we all?

Well oriniginally Izzy was a breastfed baby, then i was supplying enough for her, so i put her on formula this only lasted a month because she wouldn't drink it - so the doctor recommended at 8 months to put her on full cream milk . . . which she loves and hardly ever leaves a drop in her cup . The only problem with not having the formula is she isnt getting all those added goodies. expeically Iron.

So the doctor and pharmist agreed at 10.5months to put her on pentivite 1-3years stuff. . . which she is taking it wonderfully has it everymorning after her milk / before her breakfast.

My question is though my mum doesnt belive that she should be having vitamins every day, she believes because izzy is eating 3 meals balanced diet aday she should be just getting the goodies from her food now. Now i usually follow my mums advice shes had 6 kids and we are all fine (well for the most part hehe) But the pharmist says to give it to her every day

So my question would be - who do i follow. Do babies need the extra vitamins everyday - or does she just need them every couple of days. can i overload her system with vitamins. What is the pros/cons that you ladies have found whilst using/not using vitamins. Your help is appreaiciate. . .

btw - I am giving her the pentivite every day - - - Is that okay>?

Cass, are you happy to keep giving her the pentavite? It certainly won't harm her. Millions of adults take a multivite 'just in case' every day. I know I do and I'm very particular about my diet.
    The iron is probably useful in keeping her appetite up too.
    All babies are different and what was good 20 years ago, isn't always whats best for one baby right now.
    You are doing a fab job. Trust your gut.

I am with Kim, what was good 20 years ago may not be good right now... I would say that if you trust your Dr & Pharmacist I would probably give it to her everyday - it can't do any harm. But trust your motherly instincts..... and keep up the good work. xxoo

can i overload her system with vitamins.
    In theory yes, BUT Pentavite is proportioned so that it is the only vitamins that are potentially overloaded as a result of the vitamin tablet PLUS a full diet are water soluble ones, meaning that "too much" of anything is expelled through urine.

So you'll be fine.

In her case I would carry on with the multi-vitamin as long as she is happy to take it.

(Just my opinion, obviously!)

she will pee out what she doesn't need!
    I still give my kids a pentavite mulit vitamin most days now- the chewable ones!
    they are great esp when they are growing or a little lethargic
    gives them a bit of the boost and they are not soo grumpy!
    HTH
    odette

Oh lovely! Well i'm going to go with my instincts and continue to use everyday. she seems to like the taste and crys when i take it away lol! weird child!
    hehe
    Thanks heaps.

Oh an last one was 4 1/2 years ago not 20 hehehe! (Mum's youngest is 4 1/2)

Hi Cass
    You do what you thinks right honey.... I have just had this battle in my own head as soooo many people keep saying "oh havent you got him on cows milk yet".......ggrrrr......
    I personally like the idea that Jacob is getting an extra boost of goodies through his formula... there was a study my mum read that cows milk can be hard for the body to digest sometimes... not sure if formula milks would be in the same boat... but i like the idea that my little skinny mini is getting extra goodies... when he pees strong I just back of the snack juice and get the water into him for a couple of days for a system flush of sorts.

Our mums mean well..... but we are the mums now
    xoxoxox

Last edited by River; February 18th, 2008 at 01:18 PM.