Thread: Vomiting & Controlled Crying

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Vomiting & Controlled Crying

This is on the government's new 'Raising Children' website - I don't like this one in relation to vomiting & controlled crying

What if my baby vomits?
    Up to 20% of babies may vomit during controlled comforting. These are often the more feisty babies. If this happens, quietly and calmly clean up any vomit from the bed and put a clean nappy wrap under the baby’s head. Avoid making a big fuss, turning on lights, or completely changing the baby unless absolutely necessary. Otherwise, some babies learn to vomit each time they are put into the cot.
    They have a feedback system on the website if you want to let them know what you think. How sad...
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    Follow me in 2015 as I go Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team and many wonderful members who have been so supportive since 2003.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

OMG I could not even imagine doing that. How cruel and uncaring would you have to be to do that? I certainly hope that they take that information off there, children want and need cuddling and comforting when they are sick not just to be left in their beds to cry and vomit. How disgraceful.

That goes against every mothers instinct to sooth her baby when they are sick. I also don't think that babies will 'learn' to vomit in their beds - it's not something they can just do, it comes from being so worked up about not being comforted.

I have had Lindsay be sick because he was so worked up and upset (not because of CC) and it is the worst thing in the world.

That has brought tears to my eyes. Shannon controlled torturing says it well. I have left feedback. I have never had any of my kids sleep through the night and there is no way on this earth that I would treat my baby so horribly.

Jo

I read another website that say babies poo their nappies in the same way to get out of their beds

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Freaking hell, babies are smart and clever but they're not that smart and clever, what the hell is wrong with these people???

No wonder our Govt is up Sh*t creek...

WTF is this world coming too??

Hmmm, Think if I vomit & poo my pants it will get me out of housework, work in general & having to sleep with DH if he wants to be frisky???

OOOh, Maybe I can vomit & poo my pants if I get a bill so I will never have to pay that too, also if being pulled over for speeding, I'll just have a quick dump & smile... bound to be waved off I'm sure!!!

Man this is just insane, I think the person who wrote that needs to be burnt at the stake!!!

I think I'd rather be called a bad Mummy & simply pick up my poppet & give her a snuggle!!!!

I just sent them some not so nice feedback!

Same Tracey

This bit annoyed me as well

Is controlled comforting harmful?
    Despite concerns about potential harms to the baby, no studies have shown any psychological or physical harm from using controlled comforting or other behaviour management techniques described on this site. In fact, follow-up studies have shown that babies who have undergone controlled comforting are more likely to sleep better in the short term and are as well adjusted as their peers in terms of behaviour and sleep in the long term.
    Kelly - don't you have info to the contrary?

That is absolutly disgusting. Obviously the baby would have to be extremely distressed if vomiting. Talk about learned helplessness/hopelessness.
    I'd say that if a child had to purposefully vomit to get attention then they must be absolutly DESPERATE for attention - and abviously not getting enough.
    It feel like they want us to start treating our baby's like robots or animal - next they'll tell us to rub our childs nose in their poo if they don't toilet train quick enough!

That is so so bad. :mad:

That's dreadful advice! As for the more "feisty" babies - you mean the ones that aren't the "cute accessories" that you can take everywhere in the day and everyone coos over, then you can put away for your night out? For pity's sake, these are BABIES, not toys, you can't just ignore them when you feel like it!

How can a baby 'learn' to vomit??? I don't think I can make myself vomit just lying down and getting upset!!!

No wonder some poor parents out there are tearing their hair out with this kind of advice being offered!

I just have no words at all. How very sad