Thread: Vomiting, diahorrea and dehydration

Default Vomiting, diahorrea and dehydration

How long does it take to get dehydrated?

Milo's had the runs for about 24 hours now, and been vomiting for 19 - he hasn't kept a feed down since 11:30am yesterday.

He was taking sips of pedialyte yesterday afternoon, but this morning he won';t drink anything at all.

I rang the doctors, who said I couldn't see out doctor for 3 days, so I demanded to see someone else and told them what was happening, so DH has taken him down to see another doctor who wors there. She's new and its like a registrar/placement program, so I don't know anything about her and she's never seen Milo before!

I told him to take him somewhere else if he doesn't agree with what she says, or failing that to go to the hospital. I don't know what to do.

I really don't know what to do. I'm at work, Neil is at home with him. I relaly feel like I should be there, but I don't think work are too happy that I've been taking time off when he's sick, so if I went home today I don't know what will happen!

Ray,

I think your DH taking him to the local hospital isn't a bad idea if you are worried.

William had this a few weeks ago (picked it up from his grandfather). We had the same problems with him being unable to keep anything down and I was also worried that he was getting dehydrated. We called the locum out during the night. He was a nice young guy. He said William was doing well, considering as his fontanelle wasn't sunken or anything. We also used the Paedialyte. If he was a bit older, I might have tried him with the ice block version as I've heard that is very good with the older babies and toddlers. Easier for them to keep down.

I can understand why you would want to be at home with him. I would feel the same.

Let us know how they go at the doctor's.

Mel

Ray if you are really worried I'd take him to the hospital.

How does Milo seem in himself ?

If he's not like he normally is then take him straight to the hospital they shouldn't leave you waiting long and they will start to get fluids in to him straight away.
    The last time i took Kimberley i had to syringe (sp?) water in to her every 5 mins but if they doesn't work they will add a drip.
    That's nothing to be scared of Kimberley has had that done before and they only keep it in for as long as possinble.

I hope Milo starts to feel better soon.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

The hospital sounds like a good idea to me too. Especially if you cannot get any fluids into him at all. I'm so sorry you are stuck at work, I'm sure Neil will take very good care of him though and I'm sure you know that, it sucks that your work is p!ssy at you for taking time off when Milo has been sick and that nowadays you have to worry about losing your job because of it, makes me sooooooooooo angry.

Anyway, I hope Milo is seen to and that he feels better very soon. Big for the 2 of you.

Charlie had this a few weeks back and his fontantalle sank REALLY quickly which totally freaked me out.

Get to a Dr or the local hospital if you are in the least bit worried.

Another option to get fluid into them in the meantime is watermelon (to suck on, or mashed, if he'll take it) or simply a clean washcloth soaked in cold water and let him suck on it time and time again......this worked for Charlie, even when he wouldn't take any water or anything else from a cup or bottle.......I also put Charlie in the bath a few times as I know he always sips water from their bath cups!

GOOD LUCK

Neil took him to the doctors.
    She told him that milko didn't look or seem dehydrated, and that if he hadn't told her that he has gastro symptoms, she wouldn't have thought it...then she said to keep his fluids up and try giving him solids if formula won't stay down!!? WTF?

So I had to try to stay calm and tell Neil that giving solids is the opposite to all advice I've ever been given. But if he wanted to try to just give him potato or rice ceral, mixed to very thin. And to keep trying to give the pedialyte every 10-15 mins.

I told him if he thinks hes getting worse to take him to the hospital, but werribee are shockers for just sending you home and refusing to treat at emergency. The one time I rang really freaked out, I got as far as 'I think I need to bring my son in ', and they transferred my to nurse-on-call! They wouldn't even talk to me.

anyway, I'm going home from work now, cos DH has just rung hystercial because milo's crying. Hello! he's sick, hungry and can't keep food down. Of course he's crying. sorry..I probably should out this in the boohoo room! grrr.

Will keep you updated.

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Awwwwwwwwww Rachael Good luck with Milo, I hope he comes good without having to go to the what sounds like the useless hospital.

Is he doing good wet nappies? If not, he's dehydrated and he needs rehydration. Take him to the emergency department and make them look at him. He may need an IV or a nasogastric tube to replace his fluids. If he stays dehydrated his electrolytes in his blood can go a bit out of whack, and he can get pretty sick.

Make them listen to you!! You're his mummy, you know him better than anyone else!! Don't take no for an answer. I know it's hard to think about them doing that stuff to your little one, but it's better to do it now than to do it later.

Make sure you also take care of yourself. Its obviously really important to wash your hands VERY well EVERY time you change his nappy, or wipe his mouth after he vomits.

Gastro is going around on my ward at the moment, and we have some pretty sick little kiddos in. Let us know how you go.

he's retaining some fluid, but not heaps.
    Yesterday his nappies were not dry, but not normal

This morning it was slightly wet, but he'd been asleep for 8 hours and not had much food the night before. The doctor who saw him worked in ED at RCH, so presumably knows what she is doing. If his nappies aren't wet when I get home I will take him to the hospital.

Neil said he's now taking the pedialyte OK and has had 20ml each 10 mins.

Rachael -That's great that he's now drinking a bit, just keep that up if you can. Don't worry about formula too much if you are FF, I think breast milk is ok though. When Lucie was really sick with gastro she actually wanted some rice cereal with water, which I mixed really thin. But the doc said not to worry about solids for a few days anyway. Just keep an eye on the nappies - sounds like you are doing all the right things. It's so scarey when the little ones are so sick, but your doing an excellent job. Just trust your instincts, and go to hospital if you feel you need to.

Matilda's had gastro a bit & like the others have said keep it up you are doing a great job. Our GP had excellant advice, what ever you can get in that stays in!! She said to give a 50ml diluted bottle everytime I changed a nappy so make it up to be half strength or something because all Matilda would do was have a bottle, wouldn't take anything else. The other thing that she said to try was jelly. Even though its full of sugar, thats exactly what they need to rehydrate... so I gave her jelly. She only gets it when she has gastro, but now whenever she vomits she calls out "Jelly!!!". Paedalyte is great and 20mls every 10 minutes is fantastic!! I mean we were working on 50mls diluted formula every 1-2 hours and that was it for 24 hours for Matilda. Goodluck, you are doing a great job!

My dr said to me when we all had gastro not to worry about getting anything specific in - just get some sugary water in. so if its lemonade icypoles - so be it. She gives her kids diluted ribena.
    There is a really nasty gastro going around. Bec and Eliza have been in hospital for 3 days now as Eliza lost 2kg in about 2-3 days. She was even put on an NGT for a couple of days.
    Try to keep away from dairy products and meat cause they can cause tummy cramps, and really just work on sugar and water.
    Hope you gusy dont catch it too

Tigergirl1980 Guest

How is he this afternoon Rachael?

DH rang me at work at 2pm, demanding I come home (this is the first time he's been alone with Milo where he hasn't been perfect or sleeping) becuase he was hysterical and getting worse. So I arrive home about an hour anf a half later - Milo is grinning at me, looking a helluva lot better than this morning. DH says that he's not vomited since I left for work, and has been having the pedialyte fine, and some formula (he gave him 30-40ml)

So why the urgent rush home (not that I mind - I'm happy to leave work if Milo is sick)?
    "He was crying, it gave me a headache!" hmmm men... :grrr:

Anyway other than being grumpy with neil, I'm thrilled that Milo, so far, is doing a lot better. We'll see how he goes this evening.

Apparently the doctor told Neil not to hold back on any of his food or drink, even if he's still vomiting?

Tigergirl1980 Guest

Oh that's wonderful to hear Grrrrr at Neil, what is it with men today?

Oh Rachel its hard enough being at work and worrying about them, let alone flying home...