Thread: Waking at all hours!

Default Waking at all hours!

Claire is nearly 12 months and in january, started sleeping for 8-10 hours at night. She was waking up usually once, but she would just chat to herself then go back to sleep.

In the last 2 weeks, she has stopped doing it. She now wakes at around 12:30 - 1:00 am, and wont go back to sleep for about an hour. She just scream and screams. Wont go back to sleep without having a breastfeed, and wont take a bottle or cup of water.

Last night she woke at 12:30 and didnt go back to sleep until almost 2 am. She just screamed and screamed and wouldnt settle unless she was out of the cot, laying on the floor holding onto a toy that makes lots of noise, with me laying on the floor next to her. She has done this a few times now, so its not just a one-off thing. She'd fall asleep next to me, but wake and scream as soon as I tried getting her into her cot.

I dont understand this behaviour. Is it normal/common behaviour for a 12 month old?

My son did this at the same age and I was told it was night terrors. I could do nothing but comfort him back to sleep. He slowly grew out of it. Sorry, no helpful ideas though....

Thanks for your reply Jodie.

I have never heard of night terrors! No wonder the poor thing didnt want me to leave. She was scared and clutching onto her toy.

How long did he do it for?

sophie was waking at around 11 months, i was feeding but started getting DH to resettle so she knew she wasnt going to get a feed, after only a few nights it worked ans she stopped waking

We did try that, which is how we got her to sleep through the night to start with..

but now she just wont settle with DH at night and she has to have me.