Thread: I keep waking at 3:30am!!!!

Angry I keep waking at 3:30am!!!!

I'm going to have a vent - because at this time of the day I have a headache and I struggle to get through work.:mad:

I keep waking at 3:30am, no matter what I do! Last night I was soooo tired, I was in a deep sleep on my back, fully dreaming away, and then I woke up. I felt terrible, but had to go and pee.

Then it's starts, the brain starts to chat about everything and nothing and before I know it it's 5am before I'm asleep again! My alarm goes off at 6:15am on the days I work or I have to get up around 6:30am - 7am for my son.

I've tried sleeping down the other end of the bed (yes I'm weird like that). I've tried relaxing and switching off etc. I try not to drink anything before bed, and still I need to go at 3:30am every morning!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Is there anything that you lovely ladies have tried that has worked for you? I'm thinking of Hallics (spelling?) but then I think, that will make me pee as well, so that might not be the answer....

What do you reckon??

I drink a lot during the day and try not to drink anything a couple of hours before going to bed. This seems to work for me and I find myself not having to get up until around 7am which is much better than at 2am just a few weeks ago!! Other than that I have no idea and I don't know what Hallics is??

Can you go to bed earlier to catch up?

Have you tried putting relaxing music on??? I know it may annoy DH but it may work for you.. Maybe DH can get up to DS on the days you dont work? I have not heard of Hallics either what is that??

Isnt hollics or what ever a like drink you mix with milk to help you sleep. Horlics or soemthing.

YEP IT IS JUST GOOGLED IT

www.horlicks.co.uk

The same thing happens to me! It used to be worse in the 1st trimester. I would wake up a couple of times a night. Nowadays it's the 3:40am bathroom run. i wake up on my back too, sometimes with my legs bent and then I have a yucky feeling and then I know I have to go to the bathroom. I don't get the usual I need to pee feeling from before I was pregnant. I gethead aches too now in the middle of the night and it takes me awhile to go back to sleep. I've found the best way is to shut your mind off and focus on going back to sleep and nothing else. Chatting makes the next day worse, I used to do that and it's not worth it

Sorry - no solutions for you, just
    I had to get up in the night no matter how much or when I drank.
    If it's any consolation, I found that in the 2nd tri things got heaps better there - everything moved up and out a bit and that took heaps of pressure off. And you might find that you get a bit more energy to get through the day too. Hang in there!

I had insomnia throughout pg just as you described. Toward the end, I used to listen to relaxation cds or other music cds to switch off my brain. Usually I would fall asleep within a few minutes of starting those. Also hot milk with vanilla was nice. I didn't think of Horlicks. If you think it would add to the problem though, it might not be a good idea for you.

I also have a relaxation exercise I read somewhere when I was about 11 and I still use it now. I think it works because you focus on your breathing and it takes your mind off whatever is worrying you. It sounds a bit stupid when it's written down but it absolutely works for me.

Picture yourself on a swing going slowly back and forth. Say in your head "sleep, two, three, four, back, forth, back, forth" breathe in, breathe out, breathe in, breathe out.

As I said, sounds stupid but it beats counting sheep and it seems to work well.

Fraser Guest

ohmigod the same thing happened to me - and I had just watched the exorcism of Emily Rose (the movie - I didn't actually go to an exorcism) and then I got all paranoid that I was being haunted by the devil...... but don't panic because...... that is the time I ended up going into labour! freaky eh! well for me it was 4am not 3.30am - but still! perhaps that is when you will go into labour!

I wake at 11:30pm, 2:30am and 5:30am everyday!!! It is awful.
    I hope you get some good nights sleeps very soon

I used to wake at 3am every morning - was horrible took me ages to get back to sleep - then as you said the alrm would go off.
    Now i still do the same thing waiting for Charlie to wake up but he doesn't wake anymore - but i still lie there waiting!

I don't have any advice on stopping you from waking up, but my favourite way to get back to sleep quickly is to lie on your back and concentrate on your breathing. You then think really hard about the little toes on each of your feet - tense them up then relax them in time with your breathing- then let them relax as though they are dropping into the mattress. Then do the same with your second smallest toes, third, fourth, then big toes, then feet, then ankles, etc, etc all the way up your body - this way you are keeping your mind busy but with such mundane things that it's not really overactive, and you are relaxing your body at the same time.

Sorry for the long winded description, but you get the idea!

I have had this on and off during my pregnancy. I HATE it! I usually find that after a week or two I am so tired that I crash and sleep the night through. At times I have found that I can't get back to sleep so try and do some guided imagery to get me back to sleep. I also find that if DH gives me a massage before I go to bed I sleep better. I hope your insomnia cures itself soon.

MG

Thanks heaps everyone!!

I know it's common, I was just over it last week. Well, over the weekend I got to 5:30am before waking to pee and then of course, with day light savings it was harder to fall back to sleep, but I didn't mind so much.

Then last night I got up at 11:30pm because DH disturbed me and then I slept right through until my alarm woke me!!!

Yay, maybe I've broken the cycle, only time will tell.

I will try the swing thing though. That could be good for me. Thanks for that suggestion Melbo.

Well, only 10 more sleeps until I see my baby again for the 13 week scan! I can't wait, I just want to know 110% that it's all good so I can tell the world!!!

I've seen bubba at 7 weeks and 10 weeks, so I'm sure it'll be good, but when you've lost one and find out at the 13 week scan, it's a hard time to get through until you've past that mile stone again!!

Take care out there and keep smiling.

Lisa - i am the same 11.30, 2.30 then probably a 4 ish in there and then 5.30 it def makes for one tired little me through the next day thats for sure.