Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are walkers that bad??

Question Are walkers that bad??

I just had Jack's 8 month check up, and mentioned to my MCHN that Jack had been using his walker and she said not to use them, or to take the wheels off, so it can't move. The reason was that they make the child stand on tippie toes and not flat feet, and therefore making problems when it comes to walking later on.

But he loves his walker so much and he is only in it for max 5-10 mins a day. And also I thought if I put the level of the walker down, he might keep his feet flatter??

Just wondering if anyone else has heard this or knows anything more??

Thanks...

Walkers are one of those things that you hear all sorts of conflicting things about

I would probably lower it so his feet are flat on the floor, she probably has a point there.
    People also say they are dangerous because they give the mobility of a 12 month old toddler to a baby who isn't neurologically developed enough to handle it.
    But that said, plenty of babies LOVE their walkers and if he's only in it for very short spurts like that I dont' think I'd get too worked up about it

They can also be dangerous if they walk down stairs. We decided we would not use one for Amy. She has a stationary bouncer which she loves.

I was always one of those mums sprouting information about how dangerous walkers were...until I got one! Sammy just thinks its fantastic and gets all excited about going in it. I think common sense for time limits and the usual safety constraints that you would use for a baby in any situation naturally need to be adhered too.

Jo

Mackenzie loved the walker - as she didn't crawl it allowed her to get around. She walked no problems at 13 months. I've heard about the tippy toe thing too. One girl at mothers group was told by her MCHN to put it away for a little while as her littly wasn't trying to walk. Once it was away he started walking within the week but who knows? I would use it again with our next one as Mackenzie had no side effects from using it and I was always with her to supervise.

As a part of my Biomed degree last year, i had to do a mini thesis on musculoskeltal development in infants. Unfortunately from my observations on the infants, the walker was not doing anything good for their muscular or bone development. One little girl had no control over her legs and it was causing bow leggedness. (Bone formation is affected).
    Admitedly she was using the walker excessively. Several hours per day.
    There is also a psychological dependence on the walker that can make a child feel lazy in trying to gain independent mobility. Why try to walk when you can zip around on wheels?

I used a walker with a couple of my kids, until we got the.... Jolly Jumper!!! I love this fantastic invention, almost as much as my babies, lol!

That's an interesting thought (about the tippy-toe thing)....that's exactly how the Jolly Jumper works too. They're only supposed to be able to reach the ground with the tops of their toes.

I was told by my MCHN that they can cause hip dislocation, and had done so in babies who hadn't shown any previous hip problems.

Bec I have been told that bubs feet are supposed to be able to stand flat on the floor when in the Jolly Jumper, to avoid the tippy toe problem later on when they try to walk.

I never bought a walker for Aidyn because of all of the bad things I had heard...
    but if I did have one I would probably let him use it for a very short period each day.

I was in a walker, as was my sister, and we never crawled. No neurological impairment here! Though I do have a high instep and like to wear heels, not sure if that's related. I only have foot problems because my feet are huge, not because of a walker as my sister's feet are fine.

Also they were fab as you can push the child in the walker out the door and close it to have peaceful time, as I did with my sister.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambah
    Bec I have been told that bubs feet are supposed to be able to stand flat on the floor when in the Jolly Jumper, to avoid the tippy toe problem later on when they try to walk.

I never bought a walker for Aidyn because of all of the bad things I had heard...
    but if I did have one I would probably let him use it for a very short period each day.
    Ambah, I'm fairly sure the instructions for the Jolly Jumper said that they should only be able to touch the ground with their tippy-toes. Either way, I appreciate the heads up...I'm going to be limiting her time in it from now on. A pity as she loves it.... Will go back and check out the instructions... eeek!

Have never heard that about walkers...about them being bad for their hips; but will keep that in mind. Seems like most babies/children's entertainment items have their backers & naysayers.

I had Aleica in a walker and she walked (10months) fine crawled fine (5months)...

I have found the problem with the jolly jumper is that they don't want to walk they want to jump...

anyway... do what ever you want!!

Tanya

With my experience they arn't great. I used one when i was a baby and i still sometimes find myself walking on my tippy toes!

I'd heard it hindered their walking because they are actually sitting while "walking" ? So it's actually an unnatural movement.

I have never taken notice of anything anyone has said about walkers, except for the fact about them being dangerous around stairs!!

I have had all of mine in walkers until the have managed to try and climb out and thats when I put it away.None of my children have any problem walking, and in fact it usually made them walk earlier then normal.As long as the child has their feet flat on the ground then it's ok.
    As for MCHN I tend not to tell them much as they think they now more about your family then you do!
    Not to tell ppl they are wrong about their feelings towards them, but if Jack loves using it then let him use it!

Alex, maddy was in one, Indah has one which my sister uses to feed her in as she doesnt have a highchair at her place yet...
    I had only eaver heard like Bellasmum that they arent safe around stairs... Obviously...
    As with anything there are fore & againsts!!!

A few mins a day wont do him any harm...

Quote Originally Posted by Jillian
    Sammi is that the jolly jumper or the baby walker?
    It was definately the walker Jillian.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast