Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are walkers that bad??

I was one of those kids that toppled in my walker when I was a baby, back in the 70s mind you and safety standards have changed since then, but due to that reason I personally have never used/had one with my kids.

Love

Jordan has a walker and also a toy that is like a waker where the seat swivels and he can play with all different toys.... he loves them
    He gets bored lying down and isnt able to sit up on his own for long so this way he gets to be upright.
    I only leave him in it for 10-20 mins tops at a time.

Everyone has their own thoughts though but in my house, we love them

I think a big problem is as well if there are toys, shoes, handbags or anything in the way that can get lodged, the thing will topple over. That also goes for the little strips between carpetted to tiles areas IYKWIM.

I have also heard about problems with kids becoming bow-legged from using walker, but have never known of any personally.

If you look up baby walkers on the Choice website they have an article about them and there opinion on them.

I used a walker with Nicholas. I just made sure his feet were flat down on the ground and he loved it.

we had a walker handed down to ethan a couple weeks ago and we've only put him in it a few times.. and he loved it! we've got polished timber floors so he doesn't have enough grip to push himself along.. but i've noticed from him pulling himself up on all the furniture that he stands more on his toes than flat on his feet.

i'd heard about walkers creating problems with bone development so i just put his pre-walker shoes on... and problem fixed! that gives him the grip as well as creating a base for his feet. does that sound right?

Hi Alex!,

I think they are ok as long as they are not in them all the time. One of our neighbours used to have her little girl in it the whole time she was up and unfortunately her legs did not delvelop properly and she had to have them put in plaster to stretch her muscles and flatten her feet ...so that was bad ..but she was in it all the time.

I have been told the Jolly Jumpers are bad but Kaitlyn loves her and goes in it everyday for about 20mins!.

Cass

julesr Guest

My dad's DP is a podiatrist and has advised me in the strongest possible terms not to buy a walker. In layman's terms - a walker encourages babies to walk on their toes and this actually delays their progress to walking independently. This can and has caused confusion in diagnosing mild cerebral palsy - children with mild cerebral palsy tend to walk on their toes. It is not good for their feet - the force they use to propel themselves along on their toes is not good for the soft bones in little feet that are not yet strong enough to support the weight of their body. Further, the sitting position in the walker forces their thigh bones further apart than they would sit naturally and can cause an unnatural kind of triangular gap in between the tops of their thighs - once again, soft bones being shaped by having to bear more weight than they are ready for.

My friend's baby loved her walker so I can understand the temptation of them. However this same baby did not walk till she was over 18 months old so I can't help but wonder if the walker was the culprit. I must admit I feel strange posting such a strongly worded opinion here and I know lots of people will probably disagree. However, my dad's DP has sufficiently put the wind up me (and she is far from the alarmist type and she has been practicing podiatry for over ten years) so I won't be taking the risk and I would feel guilty if I didn't pass on this information.

They are fantastic. You just need to supervise them when they are in them, as with most things they touch! My DS is starting to walk now with some help. He does start off tippy toed but then works it out after a few steps and is on his feet properly.
    I know of babies who have never been in walkers, who have walked tippy toed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12