Thread: walking issues and bowed legs

Default walking issues and bowed legs

DS has been crusing furniture confidently for almost 4 months and from about 12.5 months was standing alone and taking the odd tentative step here and there. I've noticed his legs are quite bowed, kind of like a cowboy stance I'm a little worried this is from wearing a bulky cloth nappy all the time (he is a small, skinny baby and wears BBH multi fits most of the time which are pretty wide in the crotch)....will this correct itself when he starts walking properley? Or should I be choosing nappies with a slimmer fit?

What worries me a little is that vitamin D deficiencies run in my side of the family (quite common in darker skinned folk). I am slightly knock kneed and turns out I probably had mild rickets as a child. I don't want the same thing happening to DS.

Also...can MCNs hinder walking?

About a month ago our dryer carked it and we were without one for a few weeks until it got replaced, not ideal in a Melbourne winter! Some days the nappies weren't dry and he wore disposable, he did a fair bit of walking during this time. Mostly just a few steps but on a couple of occasions, several metres. Now he's back in clothies full time and there hasn't been any walking, not even a couple of steps. It is just coincidence? I know around this age there can be alot of a one step forward, two steps back kind of thing.

I'm a big believer in babies doing things when they are good and ready. I'm just worried I'm doing something that is preventing him from walking properley. We had a similar issue with crawling, it took him a bit of time to get used to doing it with a nappy on but he got the hang of it eventually. It'll be the same with walking right? Guess I just need a bit of reassurance...any advice would be much appreciated

My eldest son was very knock kneed once he was walking, and he wore cloth nappies. We have been taking him to a chiro who made a huge difference but his knees only became a problem towards the end of his nappy wearing stage.

My girltwin was very bow legged, to the point that I feared rickets. She wore disposables. Again I took her to a chiro and now her legs are fine, although she is still in nappies and tends to wear MCN's rather than disposables.

If you are worried certainly check out your rickets theory as it is becoming more common now, but if all that checks out perhaps consider a chiropractor just to make sure her hips are doing what they should, as it tends to be the hips that affect the knees.

Quote Originally Posted by allycat06 View Post
    Also...can MCNs hinder walking?
    I doubt it.. flats and pilchers were used in the "olden days" and how many of us are bow-legged? And they were much bulkier than my little MCN's!!

There is no evidence at all that MCNs cause any leg/hip or walking issues - they can often help them. Maz had some great experiences with the MCNs actually helping Tank's hips...
    So I wouldn't stress about that.

What MCNs are you using? They could be too bulky for him, so some trimmer or narrower crotch MCNs like Itti Bittis or BBH Petites could help with his comfort.

Sounds like rickets. DS2 had that as we lived in a townhouse at the time with no yard and no natural light got into the living areas. I look back at the photos now and I simply did not realise how bad it was. Take him out for a daily dose of mild sun without any protection (NOT midday sun - morning or evening sun) and do "cycling" exercises with his legs. Our drive for protection from skin cancer has caused us to completely factor out sun with clothes, shades and lotion to the detriment of our children.

The nappies should be playing no part in this. If you want to see what my DS2s rickets looked like as a baby to compare, just let me know.

It may not be, but its better to be safe than sorry and start doing what you got to do asap. It can't hurt him at all.

My DS1 had bowed legs. The Dr put it down to him being a large-ish baby and him walking rather early (9mths). I was told there was nothing they would do about it as it would most likely correct itself. By the age of 4 his legs were perfectly straight with no sign of them ever being bowed. He is now 16 and close to 6ft tall with perfectly straight legs.

Thanks for all your replies ladies
    Think I'll keep an eye on it and get him out in the sun a bit more (when there is some!)
    In the past few weeks he has taken to shuffling on his knees to get around (today it was with a flower garland around his neck, a hacky sack in one hand, piece of toast in the other) so at least I know his muscles are pretty strong. Might look at getting a few slimmer fitting nappies as well and see if that makes a difference at all.

All babies are born with bowed legs to some degree, and they are very common in infants, babies and children.
    Most will grow out of them.
    Knock knees are also common in kids and again most grow out of it.

Obviously see your Dr if you are worried.