Thread: weight gain

Exclamation weight gain

i know there is always talk about weight gains and charts etc..... but would like to know what the average weight gain for a 12+ baby would be!
    in the past 4 months sophie has only gained 600g up from 8.6kg -9.3kg at 16 months she eats heaps but a little concerned that she not gaining enough.
    any advise??

TIA

It was my understanding that so long as they are still growing it is OK. Often at that stage they go from being podgy babies to being skinny toddlers because they are getting so much more exercise.

A friend of mine had a kiddie stay at the same weight for 4 months but grow much taller. Her GP said it wasn't a problem because they were changing shape.

Hey,
    I understand your worries. My DD went from 10.28kg at 12 months to being 10kg at 19months (5ht percentile). I was beginning to worry, went to the hospital, saw my GP, and they both told me that as long as she stays above the 3rd Percentile, she is eating and has energy to run around, there is nothing to worry about.

My DD is very active, and a fussy eater. And she also comes from a petite female family from my DH side, not mine obviously, so I try not to worry anymore. Funny enough, when I stopped, she gained a kg, so finally she is off the 10kg mark and up to the 25th percentile, yey for her.

So as long as your DD is eating happily and active, I would say try not to worry. But if your concerns don't go away I would see your GP.

HTH

Hi AJP. The way I see it, we need the chubby bubbies and the tiny titches and everything inbetween to get what the average toddler should be. When they are babies they can sometimes grow at a rapid pace, but it has to slow down sometime or imagine how big they would get if they kept it up? After a while they start to slow down and genetics takes over and in your case it sounds like she is going to take after the women in your DH's family.

Don't quote me but I *think* the average weight gain for a toddler is only 2kg a year - which is only 166-odd grams a month so if you work it out, she has only put on 16grams less per month than what the average is which is absolutely bugger-all when you think about it. So long as you know she is eating and is a 'well' child then I would say that she is going just fine.

Their weight gain slows dramatically after around 12 months anyway... Jovie is 10.5kg or something like that, my friends 9mth old is the same weight and another friends 7 month old is the same weight!! Jovie and Sophie are a week apart, so I reckon they are pretty good

Matilda was 9kg at 12 months and 10.5kg at 20 months. She's almost 4 now and only 15.5kg.

Its all relative. With Matilda when she turned 2 1/2 she started loosing weight and lost weight over 6 months, and that was when we found she was allergic to milk.

awesome thanks guys!! this is why i love BB so much!!