Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what did you say??

Thumbs down what did you say??

grrrr this is doing my head in!!

ds all day long says to me "what did you say" EVERYTIME i say something to him and I mean EVERYTIME!! and then I will repeat to him what I just said and then he says "what did you say" again!!!!

I don't get it, is it some sort of phase they all go thru, plz tell me its a phase and it will be over soon I can't repeat myself anymore, its so damn frustrating.

We even ask him to repeat what we said after he asks "what did you say" just to make sure its not his hearing and he does repeat exactly what we say, so yes he can hear us.

We have tried ignoring it hoping he will just forget about saying it, but he doesn't.

DH had a little chat to him the other day and explained that if he understood what we said, then he doesn't need to say "what did you say". It was about a 10 minute conversation and at the end of it, guess what ds said, "WHAT DID YOU SAY" !! of course we had a little chuckle to ourselves (when ds couldn't see) as it was completely obvious he was going to say it after this big conversation

OMG LORD KILL ME NOW what should i do??

plz help

yep i went through that too, i ended up either ignoring it or just saying you know what i said...its kind of a game i think, but annoying none the less

Aaargh sounds very frustrating!

kirsty_lee Guest

Oh I didnt/dont even get THAT. I get HUH? and she does it on purpose, she heard full well what I said.. but it's huh... i say it again... huh... i say it again.. HUH... you heard me ava.. then she laughs

sweetgloss Guest

Our DS (3) has been saying "huh?" ALOT when we talk to him, at first we thought he had trouble hearing or understanding what we were saying, until we realised he only said it when we said something he didnt like, it's his way of ignoring us grrrrrrr. Our conversations are something like this "Ok mister time for bed" "Huh?" "Time for bed, c'mon!" "Huh?" "Time for bed! Let's go!" "HUH?" AAAARRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

So very irritating, I am hoping for your sake as well as mine that it is a phase!!!

GL! xx

thanks ladies, good to know i'm not alone... still its driving me up the wall !!

Serenity - did the ignoring work? it does for us SOMETIMES, but other times he just keeps saying what did you say until we repeat what we said and then he will say it again grrrr..

sometimes we don't even finish what we are saying before he says what did you say ... just don't know what to do, i can't ignore him forever, somethings gotta give

My DD says exactly the same all the time 'What did you say' a million times a day. I am amazed that someone else has the exact same thing. I even considerded getting her hearing tested!!

I have found listening to myself, that is what I say to her when I don't understand or didn't hear what she said. The other thing is that she used to say "I think" at the end of all her sentences. Something else she picked up from me. That has stopped and been replaced with "what did you say". So I think it is a stage. They just pick up these little quirks in language get fixated with it and then move on to the next thing. So that I don't listen to myself endlessly repeating what I said all day I try to not anwser it, but sometimes its just habit for me that I anwser her.

we have been through this phase (and I wouldn't be surprised if he does it again sometime) and agree that it becomes a game. Depending on the sitaution I usually repeat myself the first time and then might ignore it or say I don't remember or you know what I said etc.... it does pass

Ds was saying huh and i reply with huh then he says paaaaardon!!! so i tell him again and the same process continues now he has stopped..thankfully i just wanted to shout at him YOU HEARD ME THE !ST TIMe..it does pass tho

I get HUH? too. I thought it might be his hearing so I tested it myself. By saying It's time to get dressed. HUH? It's time to get dressed. HUH? In a quieter voice - It's time to have a chocolate. Woohoo.

He can hear me. Its so annoying.

kirsty_lee Guest

hahah Yowie! I did have a giggle at that one!

selective hearing at it's best Yowie

lol yowie i love it just goes to show that yes they do only 'hear' what they want to

today, everytime i have heard him say "what did you say", i have asked him to repeat what I said and he got most of them, but some of them apparantly he heard differently.. should I be worried now ??

I don't mean to worry you but from experience I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss this as just a phase, especially if he is "hearing differently". My daughter used to do the whole "what did you say" thing and we used to get really frustrated, especially when she repeated what we said when we asked her to - it seemed as though she was just being obtuse. Imagine my guilt when I later found out she had Central Auditory Processing Disorder. This is the opposite of being deaf, in that they hear EVERYTHING on the same level. So that bird singing down the street is just as loud in her brain as my voice when I'm standing right next to her. It takes her brain a little longer to process what should be focused on. That is why she could repeat what we said because by the time she had said "what did you say" and we had asked her to repeat her brain had been able to catch up to the conversation. We've since done integrated sound therapy which has really made a big difference. BUT for your DS it could just be a phase... There are other little indicators to look for if it is the same thing as my DD, so if your son is displaying some of these in conjunction to the "what did you say" it might be worth getting him tested for CAPD.
    1. Sensitivity to noise, especially those of higher tone (i.e. birds, squealing kids) often shown by them covering their ears or complaining about things being too loud, especially things that seem fairly benign to us.
    2. Not being able to or having great difficulty in following multiple instructions.
    3. Consistent mispronunciation of letter sounds when repeating despite immediate correction
    4. The need for white noise, or concentration improvement with consistent level background noise as opposed to changing noise situations or silence.
    5. Balance issues/clumsiness - the vestibular system which processes sound is also responsible for balance.
    6. Looking down or away from you when you give an instruction even when you've asked them to look at you. Kids with CAPD need to remove a source of input so they can redirect that focus to process what they hear. This was one of my biggest mistakes. I thought that by making her look me in the face when I gave an instruction and got her to repeat it, it would mean she would understand more, when it in fact made it harder for her.

You'll know if it's worth worrying about if you watch his face as you speak. There will be a difference between a child who wants to understand but can't seem to look you in the face and one who is just distracted.

:yeahthat:
    I was about to jump in and say get an auditory processing assessment done. Sometimes the sound is getting thru but the brains just not processing the meaning.

kirsty_lee Guest

Even if they are giggling while they are doing it?

Quote Originally Posted by kirsty_lee View Post
    Even if they are giggling while they are doing it?
    I don't think it sounds like your DD would have CAPD Kristy_Lee. It just sounds like she knows how to push your buttons and it has become a bit of a game.

It's the fact that sirenz's DS repeats what is said and sometimes still gets it a little off that would make me think CAPD. It sounds like he is trying. It's not so much the need for repetition of an instruction alone but that in conjunction with at least one of the other indicators that would make me investigate it.
    Last edited by Yeddi; September 16th, 2010 at 05:34 PM.

thank you so much for your reply Yeddi.

DS is extremely clumsy and I did often think it had something to do with his hearing and sometimes he is sensitive to noise

Does a GP perform the test or will I need a referral?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast