Thread: What do I do with a 7 week old?

Default What do I do with a 7 week old?

I need some advice desperately on what to do with Chloe. She is 7 weeks old, and sleeps well through the night. She wakes at 5am every day, and feeds every 3 hours after that. The problem is I don't know what to do with her between feeds. She doesn't sleep a lot during the day between feeds and when she is awake and not feeding she is usually crying . Is this normal for a baby this young and will she grow out of it? We are trying the feed-play-sleep routine the health nurse suggested, but during play-time she just grizzles and I either have to carry her around with me or give the dummy. I'm starting to feel really down about it. Does anyone have any suggestions?

She could be crying because she is overtired seeing as she doesn't sleep much. Maybe as suggested above try a bouncer. I would sit and rock my DD for quite awhile to get her to sleep. She is very stubborn in the day, we still have trouble with her day sleeps.
    Maybe put her in the pram if she settles in that and push it back and forth to get her to sleep?

Hi Rosy, I know what you are going through. My DS is very similar although not even a great sleeper at night unless co-sleeping.
    I agree with the others that maybe Chloe is overtired and grizzly but maybe she also has something physical upsetting her eg relflux. Have you asked your GP or had her checked?
    if all is ok with her health and it's just her "temperament" then try the bouncers, swings, prams etc. What has been a lifesaver for me is a Hug-a-Bub carrier. Can be a bit tiring to carry bubs all day but even if you use it for a few hrs each day then you can still do things with 2 hands free and quite likely she will sleep.
    My DS will get one good day sleep each day purely because I put him in the HAB - he loves being upright and next to mummy.
    Hope some of the tips help - let us know how you are doing

My Chloe is 5 weeks and doing similar to your Chloe, although she does have a bit of reflux. I am trying to give her a play before feed and then keep her upright for 30mins after feed to avoid the reflux, but this week she squeals and crys when I try and put her in the bouncer. The last two days (including right now) she is getting a good day sleep in the baby bjorn, but other than that she is a daytime grizzler every time I put her in her bed and will only sleep about 10mins unless I pick her up and she sleeps on me. I don't know if its a "phase" or due to the reflux....probably a bit of both .

Thanks for the replies everyone. It makes me feel more confident knowing Chloe's not the only baby who does as she pleases!! We do have a baby bjorn, but Chloe is very tiny still and doesn't fit into it yet.We have been to the doctor and she doesn't have any probs with reflux, so I will just keep the bouncing and rocking going. I have tried a bouncinet but she doesn't seem too keen on that one.

Caleb didn't sleep much between feeds for ages so I can sympathize. Wearing him was the only real way for me to get stuff done as he was quite grizzly too.
    She should fit into the BB. All mine were about 7 1/2 lbs and fitted in fine from birth, maybe you haven't got the adjustment at the bottom pulled through far enough.

I was going to suggest wearing her as well. I wore Zain almost from birth too.

I agree with all the other posts, just want to also add that she will probably grow out of it. At sometime between 8 and 14 weeks depending on the bub, they usually settle down heaps, and bubs who wouldn't lie and play before now will. Good luck.

Angus was like that too and is now much more content. I came across a book called The Wonder Weeks (mentioned by people on here) which talks about fussy periods babies go through as they make developmental leaps. It has made perfect sense each time Angus has gone through one and has good ideas for how to handle it, as well as just reassuring you that all is normal!

I don't think a 7wo really needs play time - and I agree that she sounds like she's overtired.
    Being out of bed for one hour max is more than enough stimulation at that age. Long enough for a feed, burp, change bum and a bit of a chat with mummy - and back to bed. Anything longer and you'll usually have a pretty hard time getting them back down. The bouncer and the HAB both worked for DS at that age, also swaddling is good for getting them to calm down. Have a look at what else is going on the house, try to darken her room and keep things low key while she's settling if you can.
    Day sleeps can really be a battle, hang in there and hopefully she'll get better soon.

Hi Rosy, Natalie isn't very good day sleeper either most days. Sometimes we get it right though, and she has 3 or 4 really good solid naps. To be honest, I don't know why it happens some days and some days not... But I think once you miss the window where they are tired but not overtired, its really hard to get them off to sleep. For Nat will be awake for about an hour before she needs to be put down again. In that time, she'll often want cuddles, but she does enjoy the baby gym. She likes the colours of the hanging toys. In fact, they got the first smile, LOL. Have you got a gym or a mobile for her to look at?
    All the best with it.

Kaitlyn was also a good night sleeper and terrible day sleeper which meant she grizzled alot . The bouncer was the best thing I EVER bought, as she really loved it and it gave me a bit of time to have a cup of tea!.

Dont worry this stage will pass as she settles into life...I remember being stuck in the moment and feeling the sameway you are...just hang in there and do whatever you need to do so you both get through the day happily...every child is different so try and do what is best for the both of you.

My bub is only 10 days old and same, likes to be held. I had my mum come and stay the night the other niht so I could get some sleep and she swaddled DD tightly (which she fights at first) but I have found it does the trick in getting her to sleep now. I hold her quite tight against me and pat her bum or back and it works a treat. I have just bought a sling off ebay too as it will mean I can wear her and have hands free too and she likes being close.
    I also have a battery operated swing and a bouncer but havent used the swing yet and it just seems too upright at themoment even in the laid back postiion. She doesnt mind the bouncer/rocker and it vibrates so we do short periods in there as well. Its a juggling act thats for sure!!

I totally sympathise with you. DS was exactly the same. Most waking moments were grizzle!!! He is now a toddler who wants constant stimulation...Mentally!! Very smart lil fella...Anyway, I do remember the swing that we had was a godsend! There is also a little play mat that you can get that they lay in that has mirrors and toys above where the baby lays. There are little gadgets that you can get that when turned on sound like mums heartbeat. They also have different sounds, like running water, tunes etc...They are great!!! This helped DS to get to sleep. A musical mobile was great for helping him get to sleep too.
    If all else fails, and you really need some quite time, could you take her for a drive in the car, or a walk in the pram to settle?
    We also found that DS didnt like being wraped at all, and was better when we stopped wrapping him also. Just a thought....perhaps you could try to raise the head of the bed a little? May be a more comfy position for bubs.
    I hope I have helped in some way...I know how hard it is trying to settle a grizzly baby all day, and not getting anything else done.
    Good luck

My DS was very similar in that he really wanted to be with people all the time. I used to wear him in my sling most of the day. I found it got much easier when he could sit up/crawl and walk as he could get around himself

Oh hun,, i can really sympathise here, as so far, all three of my first DS's has reflux,, and they never wanted to sleep during the day at all, unless i was holding them,,,,, and that left me so tired and feeling down. This time I have layby'd a swing to use as i have heard great things about them being great for unsettled bubbas.
    Maybe even a hugabub or similar baby wearing sling might be another option?

It will definitely pass. Ella was the same and i was lost as to what to do with a grizzly baby. I think anxiety from being away from mum is part of it as well as the frustration of not being able to sleep.

Ella passed that stage at 2 months. (so not long to go!) Hang in there - it will improve.

Ann

I found that if I put William in the pouch and started my housework he was asleep within 15mins! It was great! I also have the Fisher Price Aquarium Swing and wouldn't have a baby without it!!!