Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What does everyone think about those toddler harnesses?

if you have a runner then use them I have been very lucky so far but I have a spirted baby now who may need one, one day the teddy one sounds great! I might have to got and have a look myself soon.

I have never had to use one but going to buy one for Pheen so he can do lots of walking without worrying if he is going to take off on me. If he turns out really hairy, then I might re-concider because then it would look like I am walking the dog and not a human!!! lmao

re: walking a dog comment - why do we want our dogs to be safer than our babies? Not having a go, just a lot of people have made similar comments to me and it really annoys me.

Ryn I was "Joking" you know ha ha ha!!! lmao ,Why do some people think that we walk our dogs? My dog walks me!

not just you, soul, someone earlier made the comment too and I get it a lot IRL.

We bought a monkey back-pack one for DD while we travelled to NYC in May of this year.. DD has never been a runner so i have not needed it before , BUt the thought of going through cutoms and immigration, and looking for bags etc in Los Angeles without knowing i had a firm grip on her - Night mare!
    It was also great for when we were walking around NYC, i hooked her to the pram handle so she just walked along and was safe with us all, she gets bored holding hands all the time and at 3 1/2 she is too old for a stroller and too heavy to carry!

My DD's pram days are coming to end and I will definitely consider using one, particularly if I'm out with the two of them on my own.

Alot of parenting choices come down to the "lesser of two evils" I think and this is definitely one of those decisions. I don't really like them, but I can see that for some children they have their place and I would rather use one than risk my child being hit by a car or abducted, god forbid.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn View Post
    re: walking a dog comment - why do we want our dogs to be safer than our babies? Not having a go, just a lot of people have made similar comments to me and it really annoys me.
    Just reminded me of a doco I saw about BSE once. Pet food companies voluntarily changed thier practices once the first scientists starting predicting problems but the UK government/human food industries didn't change thier processing methods until people had died and there was a massive public outcry/panic.

I don't have to use one yet but I consider my dog my 'first born' and wouldn't walk him without a lead if I thought he was going to suddenly dash out onto the road.
    I think these are great. They allow your child to safely develop independence.

krysalyss so true!!

I think they are a great idea... you would not hesitate to put one on a dog so that it doesn't get hit by a car, so why even think it looks bad if you have it on a child. I would do anything to protect Kiara, I am sure any mother would!

and yeah the wrist ones would come straight off Kiara too...

We have the monkey one, but only ended up using it a few times. One time another family saw it , they asked us about it and 1/2 hour later we saw them with one their kid. Another time, I am not sure what happened, but Maggie fell and it looked like DH had pulled her over (I don't think he did, it was just an accident), the looks we received were just awful, so I have felt uncomfortable using it since then. Maggie does love wearing around the house though.

dd isnt walking yet so i'll have to wait and see if we will need one... but Ryn has won any debate by a landslide with her comment:

re: walking a dog comment - why do we want our dogs to be safer than our babies?

(i realise there is no debate its personal choice, just think ryn made an incredibly good point directed at anyone who turns their nose up or makes unnecessary comments)

I think theyre a great idea. Who cares what other people think.. its you keeping your baby safe while letting them have some free time to walk. Especially if you have another baby to watch, you cant watch both of them at the same time. It only takes 2 seconds for you to turn the other way and for them to disappear or someone grab them.

Nope. Dogs are definitely not human. Doesn't mean you can't love them just as much!
    In fact I think not being human is a big plus sometimes!

LOL

rolymogs Guest

Last edited by rolymogs; March 20th, 2008 at 01:22 PM.

Jodie259 Guest

I wouldn't hesitate to get one.

I was in Ikea once... having lunch in their cafe. I saw two mums with kids... they stopped for a second, and one toddler made a dash... straight through all the chairs & tables & outside into a garden area. The mother was not being neglectful or anything. It happened so quickly! She turned around and had no idea where her child was. You could see the panic on her face. I stood up and got her attention and pointed outside to where her son was.

From that day on (that was about 9 years ago)... I swore that if I ever had children, I wouldn't hesitate to harness them as a small toddler.

Imagine if you child got snatched, or bolted out on to the road into traffic, or simply wandered and got lost & panicked....

It's rare that you can always have another adult with you when you go out... and you can be trapped in your home because you can't go out alone with two kids. Both mothers & kids need to get out and see other environments, do some shopping, go to doctors etc.

I don't care what people think. As far as I'm concerned... a harness is keeping your child as close to you as possible whilst still giving them their independence. They can't get lost or snatched.

Toddlers want to walk - and I don't think it's fair to have them in a pram or trolley all the time. What's the difference there - you're just strapping/restraining them in the pram/trolley?

I was at the baby expo yesterday... and saw those backpacks. For the life of me, I can't find the brochure on it... nor remember the name. But I'm sure it's something like goldbugs? that stock them? If I come across the brochure today - I'll post again with the name.

FOUND IT --- company is called Goldbug. There is a monkey, puppy, bear, unicorn, cow & pony!!!! They are based in Melbourne... but if you were to contact them (by phone or email) they could tell you where to buy them - or maybe sell direct.
    Last edited by {sarah}; October 22nd, 2007 at 02:16 PM. Reason: removing link details

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast