Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to get a newborn

*TamaraP* Guest

Default What to get a newborn

My workmate and his wife are due anyday now for the arrival of their first bub together (they have two daughters each from previous relationships).

I am putting together a money pool at work to get the something for the little one, but have no idea what to get!!

I don't want to get the usual things and I want to get something that they will all remember as, "this came from Bakers Delight"

If everyone pitches in 10 bucks, I should get max 140... but I will make it a min 100 (so if it falls short I make up the rest)...

Any ideas would be great!!

You could buy them a photography voucher. That would be special & they would have them forever!

I like to make up a huge hamper. Buy a cheap basket and fill it with baby related items and wrap it in cellophane. Its easy and you can make it as cheap or expensive as you like.

What about a voucher to have the babies hands or feet moulded? not sure that is the right word. I know that a lot of hospitals have them up on the walls, they are really cute in frames and all! Not sure about the cost though, but I am sure you could search on the net!

I think you can buy kits too that you can do yourself for the feet moulds. Thats a good one!

We did this when I was working and alway managed to fill the basket with Nappies, a really good teddy bear (for keep sakes), baby bath thermoetor and things like wipes and baby sorbolene cream. It's hard when they probably already have a heap of stuff. You could also go down the track of maybe the leapfrog baby kick thing that plays music. It would certainly fill your basket and I'm sure I've seen them for about $70 recently. Then you could fluff it up with the extra wipes nappies etc.

*TamaraP* Guest

Thanks girls... I love the idea for the photos Linda... that really grabbed my eye.

The moulding stuff, I was thinking about that... but don't know where to get the moulds from or I could ring up the hospital they are having the bubs at and ask them there.

A time capsule is a great idea, or you could just add the front page of the newspaper (or whole newspaper) on the day bubs is born...

Colleen Guest

or the sterling silver birth certificate holders with room for babys name to be engraved , thats one of the best sentimental gifts Ive recieved and it had two little round silver containers that had "first curl" and "first tooth" on them with space to engrave the date.

Its all mounted / presented in a timber glass top box that plays music when you open it...

*TamaraP* Guest

Oh girls all these pressies are just sounding gorgeous... I have looked into photography and looking at about 140 for a session for them.

On Thursday I am going to go searching for the moulds and capsules...

Colleen - I was thinking of one of those, do you have any idea where they got it for you??

From my work I got a gift voucher for a baby shop & it was fantastic. I got around $160 and was able to get some really nice things that I wouldn't have otherwise gotten because I couldn't figure out what I wanted or needed.... but having said that I love the idea of the photography sessions.

Colleen Guest

Im not sure where mine came from but I have seen one very similar at Frankston in the jewellery shop near coles (kinda opposite the bakers delight there) i guess those sorts of shops are your best bet.

*TamaraP* Guest

Thanks chickies...!!

Well if I can't make up the difference his mum is willing to make up the rest.... so I am hoping that 140 should get them something nice.

tam: with those silver baby things- certifiicate, first tooth etc, you can get them from like "mr minute" or from gift shops. it would be cheaper than at the jewellers and then you will have xtra money for other things too

That sounds really cool! What a great job!

Dont get a floor activity thing ..that seems to be what everyone gives ( I got 6 of these ..no joke). I like the idea of a gift box made up of things they will use for the bubs.

You're so lovely doing this Tam!

I'm in charge of this stuff at work (and we have a LOT of people having babies all year - just had 5 women go on ML!) and have always had good feedback about Coles/Myer vouchers - means they can spend it on whatever they want - nappies, food, nursery gear they didn't get gifted.... booze But I've recently been looking into nappy cakes. There is a place listed in the BB directory for Vic that seems pretty good. They can do something just for bubs or something for Mum too.
    Good luck!

Gigi is offline BellyBelly Life Member - Love all your MCN friends
    Add Gigi on Facebook

what about services?

things the new family won't have time to do themselves, but still need doing
    (nappy cleaning service voucher, cleaning the house vouchers, garden tidyup voucher e.g Mr Clip or dial a hubby, takeaway voucher for their fave thai or whatever takeaway)

and things that would be nice for some r and r.
    (a gift of babysitting vouchers, massage voucher, haircut voucher)

for keepsakes, i thought of a set of coins from the Australian Mint in the year the baby was born.

I love the photographic session voucher idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast