Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Time Do You Get Up For The Day?

Default What Time Do You Get Up For The Day?

Let me preface this by saying, I have NEVER been a morning person. Ever. I can cope on very little sleep BUT I have always been atrocious in the morning regardless of whether I've had 3 hours sleep or 9 hours sleep.

Now DD went through a stint of waking up really early - for the day I mean, not wake up and go back to sleep. We're talking any time between 4.30 - 5.30am and I think I handled that pretty well.

Now she's much better and generally wakes between 6 -6.30. But I still don't want to get up while it's dark. Obviously I get up to get her a bottle, I wouldn't let her starve. But then I stay in bed and she plays on the floor while I listen to the news until about 7.30. I feel a bit slack. I feel like if she's rearing to go, I shouldn't just be lying in bed.

So ... my question is, what time does your DS/DD wake up for the day and what time do you get up properly to start your day?

My DS 10 months wakes anywhere from 7 to 830am just depending how he sleeps thro the night. Through the week i have to get up as i have to take DD to school but weekends DS is happy to play in his cot for an hour if i cant be bothered getting up when he wakes up, sometimes he happy to play even longer as DD will sit in his room and read to him or play games with him,He starts to sook when he gets hungry or crys out BOT when he wants a bottle....

DS used to get up at about 6.30-7am but in the last week or so he has decided about 5.30am is the time.

He is usually comes into our bed during the night so I give him a bf in bed, open the curtains and watch the news while he crawls around the bed. Give me a chance to wake up and TBH I think he really likes his chance to muck around with the pillows and doona.

I am lucky ... I know it ... DD wakes up at about 7:00. I get up at 7:00, leave her in the cot .. in the dark and finish dressing and brushing teeth. She will just sit and sing and play quietly till I come and fetch her. To dress with her around my legs takes like 30 minutes, while on my own I am ready in half the time. If she is really upset and crying, usually because she has wetted through the diper or she mad a MONSTER poo, she gets dressed first. Usually I go to her at about 7:20 if she is not awake already, I wake her up and dressed and our day begins.

Somedays, like today, the little rascel wakes up at 6:00 (bummer) and on some weekend mornings, she might sleep till 8:00 (break out the bubbly). But on days like today, I do like to try and strech my laying in bed, by bringing her to bed with me. I the stay in bed till she WANTS to go pet the cat and get off the bed. Then I get up, very, very reluctently!!

So no, don't think your are slack ... just normal

Lately we've all been waking around 8:30-9am. Which is just bliss! Before though it was more like 6:30am which i hated. I'm not a morning person either regardless of how much ive slept.

DS usually wakes up about 5;30, but I give him a feed & he goes back to sleep until about 7:30. If your DD is happy playing on the floor, I wouldn't worry about it!

now that dd is a bit older (14 months) i make it a habit never to immediately get her out of the cot when she first wakes... she's usually in there for about half an hour before i get her up... she has toys in there she can play with, but mostly she just shouts or babbles... i usually lay in bed just that extra bit longer and take my time waking up, or if we have somewhere to be that day i run and jump in the shower and get dressed...

she usually wakes anywhere between 6am and 7am... sometimes horrificly earlier, sometimes pleasantly later...

i don't get up before 7am though.... if she wakes early she either needs to amuse herself until its a reasonable hour, or i go lay down in her room with a doona and tell her to go back to sleep, and miraculously sometimes i can get an extra half hour out of her if i lay there with her.

i highly recommend letting your baby learn to amuse themselves in their cot, even for 10 minutes.... its good for them to learn that the cot isn't a scary place they need rescued from, but there own little comfy spot to play or nap. just my opinion anyway.

im not really keen on having a toddler up at the crack of dawn so am wanting to eventually teach her that if she wakes and its still dark she's allowed to play quietly in her room by reading a book, same thing at night, if she's not ready for bed she'll be allowed to read, but not come out of her room... thats how we were all brought up and i think its brilliant... if it will work!! all sounds good in theory.

7am is what i deem reasonable to get up, anything vastly before and it just feels like the middle of the night!! in winter anyway.

ds wakes up everyday, without fail, at 7.40am.
    not too early luckily

pegasus Guest

My DD wakes between 6.30 and 7.30am. But like you Fiona, I am definitely not a morning person. No matter how much sleep I get I'm so tired when my alarm goes off in the morning. She's quite happy to wait for me to get her. Sometimes I'm selfish and ignore her to sleep in a little. She'll play, get insistent, give up, go back to sleep and either wake around 9am or I wake her.

My housemate's kids have two volumes: loud and louder. I don't blame them, they're kids. And they're still learning english (mum's chinese). But unfortunately, they always wake DD. But she never cries awake, just murmurs or talks to her teddy.

Yep i agree with letting them learn to amuse themselves if they wake too early. Although that's stopped for us now as my 20mth old can climb out of his cot!

Oh enjoy it while you can hun! I wish I had spent more days when she was immobile just lying around in bed with her rather than getting up to start the day!

We are lucky at the moment though - she will wake at around 6-630 and I give her a bottle and she will got back to sleep fromanywhere from 730-930! and she goes to bed at 7. It's been bliss! I'm not a morning person either so I have enjoyed it while I can!

Ds wakes between 5.30 and 6.30 I am not a morning person either but DD gets him up changes his nappy and gives him his weetbix and the kids play with him til I get up about 7.30

Lately I've been so lucky with DD waking at about 8:30 but even with that I get up, dress her, give her breakfast & a drink & she'll sit in the lounge room watching Nick jr (dora etc) then I go back to bed until she either comes & gets me up or I'm ready to get up LOL With saying that, the reason she's been getting up late is because she's been sick, going to bed later than usual & usually waking once or twice through the night.

I'm still pretty lucky though, she usually gets up between 7 & 7:30 when she's healthy. Even then I do te same thing with sorting her out & laying in bed to slowly start the day LOL

She did go through a stage for about a month of waking anywhere from 5 to 7 which was awful to get up to, thats when she was around 1 or 2 yrs old.

Dont feel lazy, I think its normal, I definately do it & after reading the other replies in here it looks like there's more of us than I thought

Thanks for starting this thread because I was feeling guilty about not getting up & starting my day at the same time as DD.

I am not a morning person well I can be if for a reason

I am extremely lucky some days I have had to wake Jack as he might sleep in till 10am or longer most days he wakes at 9am he goes down at 9pm though so not sure if thats the difference but even when he started sleeping thru 10 weeks he wouldn't wake till after 8am

We went through a period of 5-5.30 wake ups. I just can't funtion at that time. I would get up and give her a bottle then lay on the lounge and watch tv while she played on the floor for an hour or so. Now she's waking at 6.30-7.30 thankfully. I am better at that time, particularly 7.30. If she wakes at 6.30, I will watch tv for a bit, though it can't be too long these days, she's demanding 'num,num,num' (breaky) about half an hour after she wakes up.
    I am so not a morning person either.

Ash will wake between 7:45- 8am but will happily play in the cot for awhile so I can wake up properly.

Yep, Lucky mumma here too...
    Most mornings are between 8.30 - 9am!! Both boys!!

I am jealous of you late risers lol... 5-6am is a normal morning here.. I am fine with the early morning though IF I get at least 4-5 hours sleep the night before

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast