Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When did you start to buy things for your baby?

Smile When did you start to buy things for your baby?

How many weeks pregnant were you?

Did you wait a certain amount of time ?

Just wondering what others do.....

I didn't buy anything until 35 weeks. But I had this totally irrational fear of something going wrong. I'm quite an anxious person at the best of times and pregnancy made me worse! But even buying stuff at 35 weeks made me anxious!

I bought the pram and some little clothes - as the midwives told me to have my bag packed and ready by 30 weeks and to include some clothes for bubby.

Everything else I got when she came along. And we only bought the cot a few weeks ago too!

I just didn't want to be landed with a load of stuff that we didn't need. I watched too many friends around me "kit out" their nurseries and then regret it because they wasted loads of cash.

Sue x

Erm... I'm the opposite end of the spectrum to MummaSue. I started buying little suits and stuff pretty much from the first positive test! First pg I started buying the bigger stuff at around 20 weeks. This time I don't have to buy much as I already have both a boy and a girl... but I've still managed to buy some new clothes and bits!!

Hmmm, I think we bought a couple of little things - one or two outfits/ toy early on but most stuff we waited unti 15 or 20 weeks.

Lol, I started buying baby clothes and blankets before we even conceived our DS! Then bought more when we found out we were pregnant. Then bought even more (in blue!) when we found out he was a little boy.

I think we started buying the big stuff like pram and nursery stuff around 6-7 months.

MummaSue, if I had waited until 35 weeks I would have only had 2 weeks to set it all up because DS was anxious to meet us, hehe.

LOL, Mylitta, I figured if that happened to us then we live in a city so we can pretty much get anything we need quickly. And we ended up going for a mad dash round the shops on the way home from the hospital anyway to get the last few things as I was unexpectedly admitted to hospital for a week before missy was born!

i bought stuff pretty much straight away!!! i was too excited not too lol. but DS decided that he would come early and we still had some things left to get!!

my advice is dont forget socks! i thought of everything else but socks so when DS was born i had none at all MIL and mum had to go out and get him some

First baby - I bought a few tiny things when I first found out I was pregnant - little things like a singlet with a picture on it, a cute little toy, a baby blanket. I didn't really buy anything else until around the 24 week mark, just because we were living in the NT and I knew we were moving so I'd be able to get a bigger choice of things for a lower price if I waited. Financially things were very tight so I prioritised from the most important to the least important and just got a few things at a time.

2nd baby - started shopping well before she was even conceived! LOL Mostly because I kept finding gorgeous little bits at op-shops etc. I used e-bay quite a lot so in a way that determined the order I found the things I wanted. With my DH away for 4 mths in the middle, some of the bigger items had to wait just because I had very bad SPD and I couldn't manage the physicality of collecting things etc.

We bought some little things like stuffed toys before we were even pg. Then we bought our cot from a manufacturers sale when I was about 6 wks pg but we lost that bub. We knew we would need the cot eventually so just packed it away in the back room. Then when we fell pg again we bought our pram, chest of drawers and bookcase from a baby expo when I was 18 weeks pg. And then we just continuously bought things as the pg progressed. DH is as impulsive as me when it comes to shopping!

This time round we bought a new cot set and some stuffed toys at around 12 wks and we have just got back from the USA and spent a lot at the outlets on "neutral" clothes ranging from NB to 6-12 moths sizes! We can't help ourselves

I was 23 weeks when my Dad came to visit and insisted on buying us some of the bigger items (cot, carseat, changetable, pram etc - yes we were very lucky) and he couldn't believe we didn't have anything for the baby yet. I just wasn't comfortable doing so as I was so burnt from our first loss, I had a real fear of jinxing things. I didn't buy anything else till after about 32weeks, but only bought the bare minimum as I didn't want to be stuck with a heap of stuff I didn't need or wanted a different version of iykwim? Plus we didn't know what we were having so didn't buy many clothes until after she arrived. We scored heaps of good quality 2nd hand stuff too so considered ourselves lucky in that respect also.

People always told me to wait until after the 12 week mark. But we didnt start getting things until about the 20 week mark. I had to really know my baby was ok.

But we didnt have everything until about a week before i had her. There was even stuff we didnt have until after she was born

We bought stuff at around 24 weeks for DD, but them like MummaSue I was very anxious and once he had put it in the baby to be's room DH wasn't allowed to touch it until after I was 30weeks. Though saying that I had 3 baby showers and so didn't really need to buy a whole lot.

With baby#2 I started straight away. I wanted to build up my nappy stash (cloth) and get some little bits and pieces early, but that baby left us at 12 weeks.

As a result poor DS hardly had anything until 24 weeks when we thought he was going to deliver and then only very basic stuff until about 34weeks when I found out he was a he.

I usually wait until after the morphology/anatomy scan, so around 21 weeks.

As we'd lost Noah 3 months before conceiving DS2, when pregnant with DS2 I waited until the very last minute to take things off lay bye. I figured it was as good as buying them but not feeling like I was jinxing myself by having them at home. From memory, we set things up at about 37 weeks.

First baby I didn't buy anything ..... I was always at work, my parents collected stuff for me once I told them, which would have been around 2-3 months.

Second after we told everyone, which was about 4-5 months.

Third my parents bought us a basinette, and we picked up 2 or 3 onesies and a box of nappies so that barely counts

First 'earth baby' (had two m/c previously) after 20 weeks

Third & forth pg - ended in m/c but probably would have waited til 20 weeks also.

Fifth - as soon as I fell pg bought a toy monkey for the nursery, sadly ended in m/c

I bought a few thing before I was even pregnant. I was shopping the Christmas craft fairs and could not resist some of the hand made baby blankets, bibs, burp cloths and slippers. When I finally got my positive we were in the process of moving so i held off until we were settled in our new city. Then I bought stuff as it came up. At 2 months I saw a great second hand crib and change table, at 5 months I was in my old town so my friend threw me a baby shower, and by 6 months the nursery was all done and I had everything we needed except the baby I wasa it worried about jinxing myself but I was just too excited to wait.

I've already started to buy things: PumpkinPatch and MillaRuby Designs online; Target during sales; at Aldi I buy things pretty much on a fortnighly basis; I've brought my Slider Chair from Baby Kingdom and books from book club. I just need the elusive bfp to start on the big purchases.
    Oh, I've even brought things from Tupperwear for food storage once we get to solids and I've got the freezer cubes for when I'm super organised and make up a big batch of food.
    Most of the clothing I've brought is for a girl :blush: so here's hoping for a girl.

first time my mum got us a lot of stuff dont remember when but after halfway

this time i bought a nappy when i got my BFP all nappies were organised before 20 weeks rest of stuff we have most of just dont know the sex so clothes will have to wait

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast