Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to Get Ears Pierced

Sorry Barb, have to say I think that sounds a bit harsh. Afterall, how can a baby girl look cheap ??

In talking to professional tatooist & piercers, I've been advised NEVER to use a gun for any form of body piercing as it forms scar tissue because of the trauma of the "shot", whereas the needle slides into the skin and does less damage.

One of my MIL's foster daughters had her ears pierced when she was 6 months old, she looked cute but it isn't a look I really like on kids, I'd rather they get to make their own decision when they're older (like in their teens). What I can't stand is single studs on small boys & those tribal rings on teens (but then again I've got an aversion to anything tribal on people unless they're part of that tribe)

I got mine done for the first time when I was 7 (via gun & had lots of problems), just before we went to Fiji on holidays, I got the 2nd hole in left ear done in Europe when I was 16 (did it myself - was drunk in Venice ), did the 3rd (in left ear again) when I was 17 (same time I got my first tattoo), at 26 got nose done (and 2nd tattoo) & nipple at 28, I now do not wear anything in any of my piercings, haven't done since I was 30, except for earrings on my wedding day.
    Last edited by AngelPunks; January 10th, 2007 at 06:08 PM.

Caro, my girlfriend also did my 3rd hole with a needle and ice. The things we do when we are younger!

Fletch, don't get me started about how some parents dress their babies/kids! I think that is a topic for another thread.

Not sure about babies looking 'cheap' with their ears pierced. Probably not the right words but I understand the intent of the comments if that makes any sense.

I was planning on getting DDs done when she was a baby, I think the younger the better, but didn't end up doing it. I think I was a bit scared of hurting her and DH was dead against it.

I have regretted it a little now, she has just turned 2 and I wouldn't even think of getting it done now. I think she's too well aware of what's going on and I don't want it to be painful for her.

We will now wait until she is old enough to ask for them herself, probably around 4 or 5 I'd say?

I know my friend bought some stuff from the chemist which is numbing cream and applied it before hand when she got her DD done... i thin kshe said it was actually for circumcisions but could be used for other things too. Might help.

I thin kit looks cute on babies

I dont think either of my girls looked cheap or Indah looks cheap now...?

It is a custom in Bali for them to be pierced as babies (girls only) by threading ceremonial string through the ear & ntying it at the back, thread can contain & harbour many bacteria's, I decided it was safer, cleaner & best to have it done properly prior to the in laws coming out here & doing it themselves, which is what I did with Indah & Maddy...

If that cheapens them... ???

Maddy is 8 & loves her earrings & is glad we had them done as she cant remember it, she has probably 30 pairs of earrings, my niece has just spent 3 yrs of going back & fourth about wanting her ears pierced & fear of the pain, infact she has tild her Mum & Dad that they should have gotten it done when she was ababy like Maddy & Indah so she didnt know! She finally got it done 3 wks ago...

I can't believe the debate this has started!!!

I am going to get Kiara's done early so that she doesn't remember the pain, so that it has less chance of infection as she wont play with them, and her hair isn't long enough to get tangled and cause infection.

I will do it at the local hairdresser/beauty salon, so that they are done at the same time, I will be buying the elma cream and applying it before hand.

Thank you to all who replied, I don't think that it will anymore traumatic to her or me than getting imunised is...

Just a thought... What girl doesn't want their ears pierced??? I have not known ANYONE who doesn't have them done and that wishes they weren't. Its a small hole that you can't even notice if there is no earring and it's not a permanent tattoo... Just my thought...

Melissa, I can't wait to see some pretty pictures of Kiara with her new earrings

Just a note 7 a laugh.. i have 3 piercings in one ear & two in the other... i did the 3rd on myself when I was about 16 by just shoving an earing through.... i ended up passing out & waking up on the floor LMAO

Melissa thar's exactly right darl, if for some reason they dont like them they can choose not to wear any...
    Maddy has had hers done for over 7 yrs & has to take them out for Basket Ball, if we forget to put them back in over the course of the weekend they do almost close up!

I cant wear earrings as I work in a food factory, I can wear earrings once a year without having to repierce the hole, but my Dh who has had his ears pierced for years will only wear earrings on various occasions (we tease him & ask if he is in his Pirate phase!) he has trouble repiercing the earring thru???

Anyways each to their own like many things in life!

I think it looks so pretty and feminine. My daughters are both pierced and are gorgeous. Definitely not 'cheap'.

mel i had savannas ears peierced when she was about 6 weeks old.
    she gave no trouble at all and it was over and done in a matter of seconds. she yelled out a little when it went in then forgot it and started smiling away. not one tear in sight!
    her immunisation needles at 8 weeks were so much more painful.

it is custom in my natio to do the babies ears when very young. i had mine done when i was a couple weeks old too.
    its a matter of choice though.
    you will find most people that do the piercings will only do it for children over 2 yrs.
    but if you ring around you will find someone who will do it.

Debbie Lee Guest

Gabby will be getting her's done when she is 5 (if she wants to?).
    Why? Tradition. My sisters and I were all 5 when we had ours done. It was a way of celebrating such a special age.
    I reckon it's completely up to you. It doesn't hurt for long and I doubt it causes any major harm??
    I had my ears peirced again when I was 15?? Something like that. I don't use the second hole anymore. They've healed up but you can still see where the hole was.
    I had my nose pierced when I was 18 but took it out when I started teaching because too many children asked about it and I didn't think I was setting a good example.

Deb, I can just hear that kids "Mrs M.... why do you have an earring in your nose ??" LOL.

Debbie Lee Guest

Hehehe yep... that's exactly what one Prep student asked me (Tho I was Miss P back then!! hahaha). When I told her that it's just something I wanted to do, she said "Wow! I want to get one!".
    I guess as a student teacher I kind of felt uncomfortable influencing a 5yo to want such things, iykwim? So I took it out.

HA HA Flaetch... Maddy is a school kid & yep she's a grot!!! But I reckon you'd hold her hand & let her play with your grotty teacher fingernails!! PMSL.....

The other Mum's already shudder when Maddy goes to school, as she cant wait to get her eyebrow pierced & hair in a mohawk & tattoo's, the other kids tell their Mum they want them too...

I told her if she still wnats it at 16 she can....

We are very open about piercings and tattoo's too. Paris wants to get her naval pierced. Which is pretty tame IMO.

But I have a child that listens to punk rock and alternative music She's grown up in a very open environment... And Seth will be the same...

The thing I'll be sad about is when she decides she wants to dye her hair... and I know it will happen one day. As much as everyone LOVES her hair I'm sure she'll want an identity change at some point or another... You just can't get her hair colour in a bottle... its stunning!

*hugs*
    Cailin

MY LITTLE SISTER PIERCED HER BOTTOM LIP HERSELF WITH A CROCHET NEEDLE! ARG!

My sisters and myself all had to wait until we were 13 to get our ears done. Guess it backfired on my parents though as my sisters are now the queens of peircing! Between us we have three tongue, four lots of ears with multiple holes, three noses, two labrettes (lip) and one nipple done....
    I cut sick around 15 years of age and pierced two holes in each ear by myself using a piercing stud (did it in the school library toilets!).
    Got my nose done when I was 17 but took it out about a year ago. I wish I had have used a needle as it's left a permanent mark there
    Got my tongue done (my mum came with me!) when I was 18 and it's been in and out since then depending on how old and 'uncool' I'm feeling!

I wont be getting Caty done....she can wait until she's 13 then I might do them!!
    Last edited by chocolatecatty; January 10th, 2007 at 03:04 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast