Thread: When to resort to panadol?

Default When to resort to panadol?

Tallon has had a cold for about a week now. Nights haven't been toooo bad, perhaps waking a bit more frequently in order to sneeze and clear his nose. But the last 2 nights he's been very unsettled and today I just cannot put him down! The only place he will sleep is on me! I gave him some demazin last night, it cleared his nose, but it didn't help him sleep. Today he squirms and whimpers/cries in his sleep until he wakes himself up. When I'm holding him, he buries his head into my chest and rubs his face on me.

How do I know if he's in pain? Is it possible he has a headache or something? how do you ever know??

When do you make the decision to try panadol? I cant work out if its my frustration that makes me want to try it so I can get something done today, or if he really could need it?? I dont want to give it to him if its just me that needs the relief!

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by Liz; May 15th, 2006 at 03:14 PM.

I'm not sure Ivana... I give it to Kynan if he seems really unsettled or in pain or he's had a really high temp for a while but that hasn't been often at all. If you are reluctant to try panadol maybe you could try something else first... I know Brauers does a cough & cold relief thing. I haven't tried it but the teething one works well for Kynan so it might help?

Thanks Angel. Trouble is he's sleeping quite soundly on me, so i'm no longer sure he's in pain, which makes me think I'm wanting to use the panadol to give ME a break I just spoke to my mum, and we've thought maybe if I put my top in the cot he'll settle better. Worth a try i guess. Pity I cant sleep him on his tummy, coz he loves it on me.

Its just hard not knowing what's wrong.. and frustrating not getting anything else done. My DH was very sweet when I rang and whinged that I havent acheived anything.. he said I've acheived giving Tallon some sleep and comfort so not to worry.

Might just leave the medication and just go with it for a while. Perhaps use some more demazin tonight if his nose is still stuffy.

Hi Ivana - I think the fact that you question when to give panadol to Tallon is a good thing, so don't beat yourself up if you feel that he needs it.

I also have trouble working out when to give it. Normally it is for when she is very cranky and difficult to settle (in comparision to normal). I gave her some today for this reason, she must have needed it as she was happier for a while and played quietly.

Milo does the head burrowing and rubs his face up against me when he's tired, regardless of whether he has a cold etc.

I give him panadol if he has a high fever or if I think he's in pain.

Like, last thursday night he was crying way more then normal at bedtime and really unsettled. I tried offering him a feed but he wanted none of it. I ended up giving him panadol.
    On friday, he got weighed and had not put on much weight at all, and that night I gave him a formula feed and he went off to bed with no probs, so I spend all of that night and saturday feeling like I'd given him panadol when all the time he was just hungry...

Then on Sunday morning I find out that he's just cut his third tooth, so now I feel less guilty. I think we just need to elarn to trust ourselves.

I wouldn't hesitate to give him panadol in the prescribed doses. It will help him AND YOU get some proper sleep, and helpefully along the road to recovery.

Quote Originally Posted by Magic
    I wouldn't hesitate to give him panadol in the prescribed doses. It will help him AND YOU get some proper sleep, and helpefully along the road to recovery.
    I agree. There is no need to feel guilty or beat yourself up over giving Panadol.

Yeah I agree with Shannon, especially after what was on the news recenlty! HOWEVER, if you think Tallon is in pain hon go for it I just wouldn't be using it as a sleep tonic, but it seems you have the same sentiments as me anyway Your mum sounds great btw!

*hugs*
    Cailin

Shannon - I agree.. that's why I'm trying to work out the signs that might mean he needs it. Deep down I think I knew it was ME that wanted some relief, so I didnt give it to him. Turns out his cold is settling right down, so we didn't give him anything last night afterall. Must've just needed a day of cuddles to get rid of the last of it Still had a bit of a restless night (almost resorted to a dummy! LOL. Trying to prolong that one still ) Just need to work on keeping him asleep now, as he wakes up soon after putting him down.

Thanks everyone for you replies.

I wasn't advocating excessive use of panadol. I'm fairly conservative. But sometimes a good night sleep can "break" the back of the illness, and return some sanity to a sleep deprived mother. Obviously you need to watch it with fevers and ensure that other avenues have been explored in terms of determining what is causing bubs' discomfort etc. If you feel uncomfortable or just don't know what to do there is a free govt service who have nurses that will talk you through your situation it's called Health Direct, and there is always your child health nurse and your gp.

It sounds like you are doing a great job, sometimes the hardest thing is putting your hand up for help.

Quote Originally Posted by *Shannon*
    and I'm not too sure general crankiness.
    Wouldn't crankiness be a sign of being in pain?? Especially excessive, as opposed to general? As far as I was aware Panadol was a not a sedative, so if the baby is less cranky (happie) after taking it, then one must assume that the baby must have been in some form of pain.

Not trying to turn this into a debate, but like Ivana I do struggle with when to give it. I have seen people just touch a baby on the forehead, scream "he has a fever!!" and shove panadol down their throat on a regular basis. So since seeing that I have been very careful when deciding to give it to Maggie and of course that has been reinforced since that article came out.

Yeah the cranky stages suck. But like you said it can be just a stage they go through.