Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When you go shopping....

Your definately not a mean mummy!!! I have to agree with what everyone else has said.

As an extra note though - An employee can be sacked for opening something BEFORE they pay for it. Just thought that was an interesting point lol.

Oh Lea, yes I remember that now - Aaron was nearly sacked when he worked in Franklins for doing that. I wish I remembered that today!

I usually have treats in my bag with me, but didn't today :S I must be more careful to do that as well.

I dont think youa re mean at all.
    Thats the manners you are trying to install into your children, thats fine.
    We do it a different way - if I buy something that is for Jenna, I will let her carry it around until we get to the counter, and then she has to give it to the checkout person and then get it back.
    This way of doing things is making life sooooo mcuh easier at the library!! And I let herhave pens at counters, but then she is learning to give those back to without any tantrums.

With the supermarket I always take something for her to eat before hand. Usually I go into Bakers Delight and get a apricot delight roll, and that does her around the whole supermarket! If I haven't - I will get her grapes to munch on as we go around. I weigh them before she starts eating, and then I tell the operator how much it weighed, and we usually find a carrot or something to weigh in their place.
    I am fine with her having the grapes around the market - its a hell of alot better than chocolate as a reward! (In my eyes)

As for sampling - I always sample grapes and cherries before buying them. I worked in fruit and veg for a long time, and I'm not prepared to buy these things unless I have tried them first. You only need one to tell you if they are good or not

Hehe sampling is a different matter altogether Fi! I've been caught out to many times with sour grapse and bitter cherries and have learnt my lesson LOL!

I say well done Sarah! I wish more parents did that. When I worked in shops I'd often be handed a half-eaten, gummy, dribbly packet of sweets to scan that the child had been at: I hated it! For a small general shop, the child can wait the 10-15mins it takes to get the groceries (or the 3 seconds it takes to pick up the sweets and pay for them). I'll be doing the same as you with my children because if it's not paid for, it's not yours. And if it's not yours, then it's stealing and stealing is naughty.

what a rude person to make that comment!

I would do the same thing as you ....

Cass

Sarah,
    Probably the same sort of interfering checkout chick that would roll her eyes & make faces to other shoppers & co workers about a child being rude as they get older! Soooo pfffffttttt to her!

We do the same Sarah.. Matty knows to wait until mummy or daddy have paid for it. I think (and I hope!) teaching this from now helps him later...

Quote Originally Posted by Ryn
    if it's not paid for, it's not yours. And if it's not yours, then it's stealing and stealing is naughty.
    ah, I believe stealing would be leaving the store without paying for it....Giving my child a biscuit out of the packet I am buying does not make me a thief

That's a distinction we're old enough to make - I'm not calling you a thief at all, Min, just that is what I'm going to teach my children so they don't grab things off shelves and eat them without paying for them. Even though one hasn't not left the shop, one can't give them the biscuit back so I'd rather pay for it first: but that's me.

My child already knows that he can't grap stuff off the shelf and eat it, if I give him something he will eat it, he doesn't just help himself, he knows full well that I am the boss and what I say goes.

I totally support Sarah's decision because that was her decision and she is Zander's mother. And I admire her for not being as confronting as me and ignoring the checkout lady's comment, I would've had to have bit back - Nice patience sarah!!

I don't like it when people get all haughty taughty about their decisions and make ridiculous generalisations, I am old enough to make that distinction.

muma Guest

No not at all, he has to learn to wait, maybe if next time you go out take his own drink so when he gets hot and thirsty he can have a drink when he pleases.
    i think making him wait till you had pain is good, will teach him to be good with manners and learn he has to wait sometimes.

muma Guest

min is right, there your kids or kid so the people in the street or check out should learn to keep there mouth shut, if you say something and then someone else says no no he can do it, his going to get confused in whos the boss. And we are were the parents so i think its your choice if you dont want him to have it he shouldnt have it.

but i still think maybe takes his own drink next time. i always take 2milk formula bottles and a water one just incase its hot or something. lachlan never has the watter one but its just incase his only 10weeks so yeah

LOL Min, I am definately not the confronting type. And I don't qeustion your decision either. If you decide to give Jackson something while in the supermarket, so be it, it's entirely up to you. As I said in my first post this is what I did & asked what others do, I didn't expect everyone to say they did the same as me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12