Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: why are they saying he is FAT

Oh Hon, I totally sympathise. My "Hefalefalump" is constantly commented on - yet she is perfectly in proportion for her height and weight... she is just taller than average for her age.
    If it makes you feel any better, a friend from Mother's Group has a boy the same age as my DD (who is a little over 10 months) and he weights apporox 13Kg already - and he is mostly BB fed. He has always been a big boy and started solids late. He is just meant to be that way.
    If you feel the need to retaliate, an old high school comment pops to mind "Yes, but he can do something about his weight, what can you do about your ugliness?"

MG

I believe every child is different. My baby is 15 weeks and is over 7.5kgs. He is fully breastfed and is a healthy happy little man.

You little man is not fat at all lea! Dont listen to them.

First of all, my niece is easily 12 kg and is 13 months old - she weighs about as much, or a bit more, than my DS who is 18 months. They are such different kids - she's not walking yet and DS was walking at 10 months. DS still has breastmilk as a large part of his diet, she doesn't, but still is BF'd. Neither of us care where our kids sit on the charts!
    Really, you know your child is doing well, so it's a matter of training yourself to deflect the comments of these eejits

Hun, don't worry about it - Nixon is adorable and looks like a healthy bubba! The kids at your mothers' group are probably all malnourished from all of the crap that they eat LOL!

I have been getting the opposite - in that Euan's apparently not putting on enough weight. One MCHN will say it's fine, the next will say 'you've got to build up your supply'. Can't win, can you...

Your little man is gorgeous, and is fine.

Some people just can't live without commenting on something.... You're doing a great job, and he's certainly not fat.

Nixon is just gorgeous, and he's obviously having a healthy, varied diet. Anyone who says he is fat needs to mind their own business.

Jambin was 10kgs at 8 months old. He is sitting pretty much on the 75th percentile, same as Nixon. Those charts represent NORMAL children. Someone has to make up the top and bottom percentiles. Not everybody can sit cleanly on the 50th percentile.

My friend has a "fat" lad, he's 11m now and eats everything. He's the same size as his big brother, 18m older than him. But he's developmentally fine, he's not so fat he can't crawl or cruise (a worry before he did start crawling!), he's just hungry. But he sleeps through, so you can't complain!

DS is on the skinny side, he is a picky eater though, doesn't sleep well and is always on the go. Even jumping about in the baby carrier or my arms. Both boys are fine. Some babies are just bigger than others. You'd get comments the other way if he lost weight.

There is nothing wrong with Nixon if he's developmentally fine (which I believe he is). The time to worry about weight gain is when you have finished growing (generally, there are execptions) but not as a baby or a toddler. What crazy society thinks we should put a baby on a diet?

Very well said there Caryn!

um thats what my first son weighed at 1... they lose the weight when they start shooting up

by the way my first son is now 50% for weight and 75 for height now

I don't get why people would even comment on such a young childs weight..

nixon was crawling at 5.5 months and when he was 10 mths ppl said hes not walking coz hes too big !! but he walked at 13mths and is very mentally sharp .... in my eyes (with out the doubts) there is nothing wrong with nixon ... and i feel for anyone who has a fat or skinny baby ... it is a sad world when women (and men) are extremly image concious that we have to bring the purely innocent in to it ... and then play on mothers minds an evil game that we can never be good enough if they are too fat or too thin !

Quote Originally Posted by aussienic View Post

I don't get why people would even comment on such a young childs weight..
    Because people today are so obsessed with weight that they will even make perfectly normal and healthy children out to be fat!!

DD1 was in a similar weight range at that age and DD2 is looking to be even bigger, she is just on 4 months and only fits into size 0!! (and she is exclusively breastfed - and i am sick to death of hearing "isn't she big!!")

Ask them how much they weigh - I find it usually shuts them up!!

*puts on helmet*

But I love fat babies soooooo much! I love those rolls, I love it when it looks like they have little rubber bands all the way down their little arms, and of course chunky cheeks!
    Belle's nickname at one stage was Sarah Lee (layer upon layer upon layer) and Beth had such cankles she needed wider socks.
    I love watching babies stuffing food into their little mouths and getting it everywhere, I usually comment when I see another little one earnestly attacking their lunch or if they are a boom-ba. I never mean it negatively, and when I say "wow you sure feed him well" it's a compliment, and it's always taken as such.

So please think of chubba-bubba lovers like me when you hear a comment like that, but if you really think they mean it in some sort of weird, sick, baby needs a DIET rubbish - get the stick out, I'll back you up.

totalfrog: Do you get the... what do you feed him/her bricks?? Gawd that drove me nuts

Quote Originally Posted by aussienic View Post
    totalfrog: Do you get the... what do you feed him/her bricks?? Gawd that drove me nuts
    Yep I am starting to loathe that one. I am also constantly amazed that people do not believe me when I tell them that she is 100% BF'd. I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the population, present company excluded (of course), are morons .

I get similar commetns about Sari. She is 10.5 months and weight 10.5 kgs ha ha plus she is in size 1. I think she is beautiful as is all healthy chubby yummy babies, its how they should be!

Quote Originally Posted by totalfrog View Post
    Yep I am starting to loathe that one. I am also constantly amazed that people do not believe me when I tell them that she is 100% BF'd. I have come to the conclusion that the majority of the population, present company excluded (of course), are morons .
    I think I agree

Lea, a mummy in my mothers group has an 10 month old boy who is 12 kg. Nixon looks like a healthy happy boy and he doesnt look overly big at all - he looks just right. I dont think you have anything to worry about, and as you said it is all healthy foods that he eats. People just like to make dumb comments. Remember too that boys tend to be bigger than girls anyway. Theyre probably just comparing Nixon to their own or other babies. Or they just dont know anything at all about babies so they are just talking out of their bums trying to make themselves look like they know heaps.

Claire is 10 months and weighs just on 7 kg, and I get the opposite from people: "oh she's very small for her age isnt she? Does she eat? You need to feed her more!" and some lovely person had the nerve to say: "Oh, she looks underweight. You shouldnt starve her." People keep telling me to put her on formula to fatten her up. Something they dont consider is that I am also small, so I guess she just takes after me. BUT I know she is healthy, she eats only healthy natural foods and she just doesnt stop moving so I suppose she burns alot of energy. She isnt developmentally delayed in any way that we've noticed... I know she is on the other end of the scale, but I do know wht you mean and how frustrating it is when people mke comments abouts bubs size.

I always tell people just what Cherie said - you need big and small to make an average.

seriously, he looks great so dont stress out.

Don't listen to these people, they obviously have nothing better to talk about.

My DD3 was a chubba bubba just like some are meant to be, and she is now quite muscular with hardly any fat on her. You would rather him eat anything than be fussy like my DD2 and hardly eat a thing.

You are doing a great job and just ignore them.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast