Thread: will i need a new pram?

Default will i need a new pram?

hi i was just hoping to get some advice from those with two young children. i am due in novemeber (so i still have ages) but when i have my bub, my daughter (Jelly) will still be under two years old. now do you think i will be able to get away with letting the baby have the pram and making my daughter walk? or do you think i will need a double pram so my daughter can hop in too?

i am really unsure. most of the double prams are way too big and bulky for me (i catch public transport) but i did see the phil and ted's E3 - which looks alot smaller and perfect - except for the price tag. i don't want to go and make such a big purchase if i don't need it, especially as i have two prams at home already.

Thats a tough one... would your daughter have to walk far??
    Aidyn used to come on short walks with me when he was around 2, (to the bustop etc), but he didn't start walking for longer periods/distances until he was over 2.5.

What about a pram with a toddler seat? Although will you need to fold the pram up when you hop onto public tranport? (cause I dont know how toddler seats fold up with those prams??) Or can you just wheel it on?
    Last edited by Ambah; March 13th, 2007 at 11:04 AM.

I guess it depends on what you're doing.
    My DD was just turning two when her brother was born and letting her walk wasn't really an option. Not because she'd get tired - she's actually pretty good like that -but because I didn't want to have to deal with her running away or wanting to stop every 5 seconds (she's easily distracted LOL).
    I do have a tandem pram but I only use it for shopping - she really needs "restraining" in shopping centres!
    If I'm out doing something that's fairly brief I usually put Toby in the hugabub and Emily can walk, or sometimes I put Toby in the single pram and she walks. This really only works for short outings though.
    If I'm going shopping for the whole morning I couldn't do it without the double pram.

Another option you could think about is getting one of those skateboard things that can clip on the back of most prams, then if she gets tired she can stand on that for a while.

There are 19 months between my boys. I have the phil & teds and it is great. But I rarely have them both in it. Mostly Tom is in the sling. Soon, he will probably start going in the stroller more, but Jack can walk quite reasonable distances now anyway, so I could probably have gotten away with not having two in at once. But having said that, it is often easier to have them both in the pram - if you have a younger one, it is easy to get distracted from the toddler and it doesn't take long for them to run off or break something (this hasn't happened to me yet, but I am sure in time it could). And think about what you would do with the toddler while you are feeding the baby etc.

thanks for the replies. luckily i have a long while to think it over. i am aiming to have my liscence by then, but we will still only have one car. when i do go out it is generally an all day thing (like 9-5). decisions, decisions... the only thing really preventing me from buy the phil and ted's e3 is the cost - it is more money then i spent on the other two prams combined. then again, that and a toddler car seat for jelly will be the only consts this time around as we already have everything else. maybe i could ask my mum and sisters to help put in a little for that, rather then buying other things we don't need?

I think you will need a double pram or a baby carrier - if you plan on taking them both out for any length of time then chances are your DD will get tired or she (being a typical toddler) will want to run off and explore. When I had my second bub my DS was 21 months and I ended up going out and getting a second hand tandem pram as I just found it too hard to go to the shops or anywhere else and not have him restrained.

I'm thinking about the same thing, Misty. Blake will be 2.5 in December and #3 is due in November. I know he's a tear-away and would not walk 'easily' for me. Also DD is at skating lessons at least twice a week so I like to have him strapped in at least some of the time. Sure I can have #3 in my Hugabub but I'm thinking a P&T's E3 is the way to go. Having said that, a g/f had a limo type double pram which she has offered me. Maybe I use that? I think that would be tricky for you on public transport though. I think Fletch's idea of the HAB and a layback stroller would be good. I like the look of the Maclaren Vogue.

I have no choice but to buy a new pram...my 2 bubs will be maximum 10-11 months apart.....i have been looking at the double prams-side by side.....but i think DD would be to big for one...(not to mention would annoy her brother or sister) and then ive nlooked at the long style (no idea wat its called) where newborn is at the back.....and DD at the front.....but i thinjk she might be a tad to young maybe.

So im not sure what im going to do.....

Id say the skateboard idea would be good for you......prams seem to be bulky......how much are these Phil and Ted's prams??

About $700 all set up, from memory.

storm04 Guest

I had a double pram when i had my third, my son was 2 and with a new born i opted for a side by side!
    Whilst it was roomy and great to push with one hand should i have to hold bubs it drove me mad i couldnt even stop for a cuppa in a cafe or walk into a little novelty shop to have a look around! It was too wide!!
    After about a month i sold it and got a stroller with a toddler seat, it cost me about 299 for the whole set up but it was the best!
    I loved the fact i could fold down the toddler seat when i needed to have it there as back up or i could put it underneath
    I just found with a 2 year old is unpredictable, although he was a good kid he had moments and i found he actually enjoyed the pram most of the time after a little walk.
    Even though now the toddler seat is no good to me it was the most practical space saving idea for me and it didnt cost loads!
    with number 4 on the way i know the toddler seat will come out again as my youngeest will nearly be 3 so i am sure she will still use the pram for a while longer!

I'll have an 18m gap and I've just bought a toddler seat for my pram...

in the valley of cuddles with mountains of smiles

sorry to hijack but Kimbaz
    the tandem pram (front/back style ) would be fine for your DD as long as she is sitting and you get one with 'shade'.
    The side by side double would be fine too but has it's disadvantages - can't go down narrow aisles. I see heaps of twin prams with a toddler and baby ...not twins.
    I hear P&T one later becomes a pain as one under can't see well.