Thread: Would you buy a quilt for a toddler?

Question Would you buy a quilt for a toddler?

Hi,

DS (16mths) currently sleeps with us but we're getting him a mattress (to put on the floor) for those times we want to be "alone" and as a long-term option for when we have #2.

Only thing is - should I buy a quilt to keep him warm when he's not in with me? He will end up coming in early in the morning, so layering him in clothing isn't going to work that well (same goes for sleeping bags...).

I've seen a great organic cotton quilt by Organature, but am not sure if it would be warm enough (being cotton).

Eventually I suppose DS will stay in his toddler bed longer in the night - so, having not done this before, I'd love some wise counsel from other mums (or dads) re the use of quilts with toddlers and 2-3yrs.

Also, should I buy a sheet set, or just a fitted sheet?

Thanks
    Last edited by Melody7; March 11th, 2009 at 03:23 PM.

I am also thinking of gettinga quilt for DS. we have just stopped using sleeping bags and are using sheet and blanket but i think a little doona would be more comfy soon.... so sorry no advice but thanks for the thread LOL!

Target have a great size doona - Called My First Doona

My DD would never stay under a sheet so we just have fitted sheet on her bed with a quilt. I got it from Target and it is supposed to match the warmth of a featherdown but is alot lighter and recommended for kids.

Charlottes GM made her a quilt for he first birthday... She loves it. Sleeps under it, plays on it.
    It isn't very heavy and is only about an inch think, so not going to suffocate her or anything.
    I love it! It will do her till about 10 years old

I purchased a target "my 1st quilt" for DD's cot. (more for looking pretty) I havent used in with her in it cos she is only 9 1/2 months. I started using them when DS was old enough to pul up his own blankets and we moved to the toddler bed. He started sleeping better but not sure if it was a combo of new room. bed and things also i like sheet sets. that way you have the top sheet when you want to use them. Also preschools use sheet sets on their beds so now i use all the cot sheets for DS to take to school when he goes.

Not sure about quilts, but I don't see why not. DD has a sheet and blanket atm, but it is going to get colder, so I'm not sure whether we'll get her warmer covers or dress her warmer (she doesn't sleep in our bed though, so I understand your reservations about dressing your DS warmer).
    IRT the sheets though, I'd go a set. Usually you can buy a set more easily than singles, and even if you find he doesn't sleep with the sheet on top of him, it gives you a spare under sheet to use if one is being washed. Gives you more options, IMO.

My mum got my DD1 a comforter set for Christmas. Its like a doona/quilt, but nice and light. Its a single bed size but we use it on her toddler bed and just tuck the rest underneath. Shes the kind of kid who mostly doesnt like stuff on top of her, so I dress her in pjs and pop the comforter over her. I wouldnt bother with the sheet personally but a fitted sheet yes. Hope that helps

When my kids went into their own bed, they had a sheet set and quilt/doona. In winter I also put an extra blanket on top just to keep them extra toasty. Now DD is 7 she chooses not to have a top sheet and just has a doona and I have found DS (3) kicks his sheet to the bottom of the bed. On cold nights they do still like an extra blanket though.