Thread: 11 day old bubba cries cries cries very unsettled

Default 11 day old bubba cries cries cries very unsettled

Hi all

We have a beautiful 11 day old baby girl, who wed adore tremendously, but we seem to be having troubles.

She cries alot, and seems to have alot of wind / gas. She vomits after feeds but i am guessing that is just the wind making that happen??

Our precious also loves to sleep, but only on either my or my husbands chest, or if we are holding her. We get her to sleep, put her in her crib and 5-10 mins later, she starts screaming,.

Are we doing something wrong? or do you have any suggestions re the above.

All answers greatly apprecieated.

she might have reflux, which will explain the unsetteledness and vomiting. Head to your GP and voice your concerns. goood luck and i hope things settle down for you xox

Hi and congrats on your baby girls! It is all a guessing game and I found the best way is to gradually work through any possible causes rather than try them all at once.

In the meantime to help you cope.
    let her sleep on your chest if you can get some peace - I spent a good couple of months with DS sleeping on me and it helps - you get rest, they get rest and it helps everyone cope with the other problems
    have you got a sling that you can use, preferably an upright one like the huga bub to help when bub is awake?
    Have you tried brauers colic relief or stomac calm from the chemist - natural homeopathic solution

next are you BF or formula feeding?
    How is the wet and dirty nappy situation
    is she gaining weight?
    Does she cry at particular times more so than others
    when is she not crying?

Something I found really interesting with DD was to actually write down how much time she did cry it can either make you feel better as you see she isn't crying as much as you thought she was, or if she is crying a lot might help the proessionals find an answer if it gets to that point.

All the best, hope it gets better

Congratulations on the birth of your baby girl!

I slept with DD on my chest for 3 weeks. And then only moved her to her cot at 6 weeks...even now she prefers to sleep in my arms.

Remember your tiny baby has come into a very large, scary world, and the only thing she knows are the loving arms of you and DH.

Its ok to hold your baby close if it feels good to both of you. If, however, you WANT her to go in her cot, you may have to coax her..and sorry, but that may involve crying (my DD still cries when I put her in the cot, so I tend to sleep with her in my bed).

As for the vomiting...it is normal for babies to vomit a bit (remember they have never used their stomachs before) but if it is worrying you and bubs isn't gaining weight, then maybe see your caregiver.

HTH

Aww! how exciting having a new family member home!
    My daughter slept on my chest for probably the first 4 weeks. i used to sit in the recliner with her in my chest and have a nap with her!

People say don't do this, don't do that - but in my opinion do what works. She is your daughter, you know what is best for her!
    Good luck!

Just wanted to say that I hear you! We have an almost 2 week old (tomorrow) and he doesn't like sleeping at night and grunts and whinges and cries all night. He has wind but it's impossible to get rid of. Usually by early a.m. I am so tired I just feed and he falls asleep in my arms (I am lying in bed). Earlier on I sit up and try to feed properly, but for the sake of some shut eye I do whatever it takes later on!
    With my DD2 she acttually didn't sleep until 9 weeks. We'd go 15 hours a day awake and grunting/sooking. DD1 never slept more than 1.5 hours day/night until she was 8 months, so I've been here before!
    Hang in there (see a Doc if you want) and just know I am out there awake with you!! We are trying to space our feeds a bit more (very difficult with hungry growing boy) but I feel if he feeds too often it makes the pain worse. I also had things to do today with the girls and twice he fell asleep after crying for a bit (not long, but normally I would've picked him up and fed) so it's nice to know it's not all pain or hunger, I think he was just tired!
    good luck xxo

Sounds like how my dd was I also let her sleep on me for how long she prefered it. Actually she had a bad dream a while back and the whole of 11kg slept on my chest for 15 minutes JOY!!

And you are doing nothing wrong. All babies are different. DD did not sleep, DS sleep like a charm and we are raising them the same way. It's draining to have a baby that seems to you like it's crying 90% of the time. I hated when ppl told me this, but it's true ... it really does gets better

I have to agree with Hollye .. sounds like reflux and some colic. Try the pharmacy remedies for colic/gas/bloatedness and make an appointment with a dr to let them check out bubba and give her some meds for the reflux. Also if you are at the dr's, let him/her check bubba's ears ... just to be sure they are not sore.

Goodluck, and enjoy her sleeping on you, they grow up so quickly and then you miss that special moments that you had with her. Leave the dishes and the washing and just sit on the sofa and enjoy your baby ... I wish I did that!!!

Quote Originally Posted by anna View Post
    Remember your tiny baby has come into a very large, scary world, and the only thing she knows are the loving arms of you and DH.
    :yeahthat:

Its a big cold world out there, all she wants is you! She is very new and needs to be close to you right now. NO baby comes home from hospy and goes straight into a bassinette alone and goes off to sleep. Keep her head elevated to keep the wind up, rub her back in circles, maybe try a deep bath after the evening feed to relax her (and you!).

xoxoxox

My little guy did the same thing. I was pulling my hair out, I couldn't handle it. On a visit to the Peadiatrician for his enlarged kidney I asked the Dr about the screaming etc. and he witnessed it himself while we were there. Turns out our little guy has reflux. He said try 1mm mylanta (normal) after every feed and if that doesn't improve much then give him Zantac (he gave me a script). Well the mylanta helped a bit but not much of an improvement. We tried the Zantac and although it has made a big difference he still chokes a bit after a feed and often chucks up, but at least he is not in any pain now.
    Where before if he wasn't asleep or feeding he was screaming, it was horrible. Made me think what had I got myself in for.
    I would not wait, see your GP as it could be reflux and the sooner you sort that out the happier everyone will be. Good luck.

My little guy did the same thing. I was pulling my hair out, I couldn't handle it. On a visit to the Peadiatrician for his enlarged kidney I asked the Dr about the screaming etc. and he witnessed it himself while we were there. Turns out our little guy has reflux. He said try 1mm mylanta (normal) after every feed and if that doesn't improve much then give him Zantac (he gave me a script). Well the mylanta helped a bit but not much of an improvement. We tried the Zantac and although it has made a big difference he still chokes a bit after a feed and often chucks up, but at least he is not in any pain now.
    Where before if he wasn't asleep or feeding he was screaming, it was horrible. Made me think what had I got myself in for.
    I would not wait, see your GP as it could be reflux and the sooner you sort that out the happier everyone will be. Good luck.