Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: Baby Hammocks

Hi there, I use the Baby Hammock Company Hammock for now my 7 month old. I didnt start using it till he was 5 months old. My husband actually won it for me as he knew I really wanted one. I didnt buy one as I never got around to it as my baby was a great day sleeper I didn't think I could get a better day sleeper out of him LOL...but the hammock did it. I like him to be sleeping where I am and not in his own room so for day sleeps it is brilliant. He is in the lounge and when I put him in awake he self settles without a peep, as he watches whats going on around him ( he is my 4th child so there is plenty to see LOL..) I don't wrap him but he does seem to like to hold a wrap and snuggle it into his cheek so thats what I do.

Hi , I started using one at 5 months ( now 7 months) and he only does day sleeps as we co-sleep at night. He took about 4 days to get used to re settling himself and now sleeps over 2 hours each lunch and still has a quick hour in the morning and a quick hour in the afternoon if he needs to catch up. Best part is I can put him in awake and he settles himself, bad part is he prefers that to having a lap nap on mum..

We had an adjustment period ... even though we used it straight home from hospital, I think it took about 2 weeks before DS would settle into it. He was fine for daytime sleeps, but wouldn't sleep in it at nighttime. We just kept persisting, and now he sleeps in it beautifully! Actually, he will rarely sleep in his cot anymore.

We hired one for DS when he was 9 weeks old and he loved it right from the first time we put him in it. I have heard that babies tend to either love them or hate them.

Goodluck i hope you find a way to settle bub soon!

FellowTraveller Guest

Default How old is too old for a Baby Hammock??

Went to buy a AMBY baby Hammock today and the sales lady told me that babies would only use the hammock until they were 2/3months of age. She said that when they start to sit up putting them in a Hammock would be dangerous - as they could fall out. THis was not my understanding - in fact I heard it was up to 12 months. What is the experience of others?

I used mine until Luke could get out of it !
    He would have been over 1 i would say from memory.
    2-3 month blah .. i didnt get mine till he was about 4 months old !

Zander got his at around 6-7 weeks old & stayed in it until he was around 6 months old, he got a bit squishy in there & cranky cos he couldn't roll around.

Claire Guest

Default Does anyone use a baby hammock?

I'm planning on encouraging a more attached relationship with this baby, because I will be a SAHM this time around I feel I can and won't have to impose a sleeping routine as early on as I did with my daughter (as I was going back to work).

I'm thinking of buying a sling to wear baby from day dot - any suggestions? and thought rather than trying to transfer into a cot for when I am feeling tired or need a break or for night sleeps I could use a hammock that will hopefully mimic that snuggly feeling for bubs.

What's your experiences using one? Good and bad.

They are quite expensive and I would like to find out if it's really worth the outlay!

I have been loaned an Amby hammock from a very dear lass, so it's all ready & waiting , just gotta have baby first!!!!!

Claire,

I am a huge fan of hammocks. All 3 of my babies have slept in a hmmock from birth till at least 10 months. Lexie (my youngest) is still in ours.

I have used the hammock for them as their sole bed for day and night sleeps from birth (although the obviously have slept in prams and in slings and wherever they drop off too!)

I have nothing but positive comments about baby hammocks to be honest.....as soon as I saw one when I was pg with my eldest I knew it would suit us, and in my experience they have worked brilliantly.....and I now have 3 champion sleepers!

Let me know if you have any more questions?

Claire Guest

Lucy - that's a great endorsement!

Caro - how much are you selling it for?

I have an Amby hammock, I love it. It did take around a week for Jovie to get used to it, and once she did... it was wonderful. She's outgrown it now & its on loan to a friend.

We use the HAB sling and its been fantastic, I used the same one for Matilda & now am using it with Jovie.

Has she outgrown it Christy? Shame.......we are on numbered days with Lexie too.......sniff. I suspect only a week or two and I will have to give up the hammock for good and pop Lexie into a cot.......which means.......argggggggghhhhhh, Charlie gets to get a big boy bed.............Nooooooooooooooooooooo! LOL!

Caro, mine got sent to me in melb from Sydney & wasnt all that musch postage! Not sure excatly how much as they wouldnt accept money for it, but it may be worth looking at/into???

I would highly recommend an Amby baby hammock, I used one for my DS who would only sleep during the day if I held/wore him. The first time we put him in it he slept for 2 hours and I felt totally liberated! DH & I both think it was the single best item we could have bought.

Of course it doesn't work for everyone and as Caro said, it may be a good idea to hire one first. We bought ours second hand and figured we would get our money back on it if it didn't work. BTW SmartSend are a really cheap courier company who give quotes online.

All the best with your new bub!

Default Baby Hammock for day sleeping

Hi,

I have just bought an Amby Baby Hammock for our baby (due in October) and was wondering if anyone had suggestions about how to move it easily around the house.

I like the idea of my baby sleeping in close proximity to me throughout the day, rather than in their own room of silence. I'll also be using a Hug-a-bub carrier, but got this hammock for the times when I'm not carrying them. (We're planning to bed-share at night).

The frame is quite large and we have wooden floors.

Does anyone have one of these? Do you bother moving it around during the day or do you just leave it in a central place where Bubs can hear you (and feel comforted knowing that you're around).

I'd love any suggestions.

littlelove Guest

Hi sounds like your baby is in for a beautiful start, enjoy every minute...those first few months are so precious! We did exactly the same as you and had our little one out near us for day sleeps in his Amby hammock. We too have timber floors so what I did was just stick some thick felt furniture protectors (think I got them from Bunnings) with adhesive backing onto the metal base of the hammock stand and then I just dragged it around which worked well. You will love the hammock as they are so soothing for bubs and so portable as well, unlike cots which dont fit through doorways! I really think it paid off having our bubs sleep in different places for his day sleeps as his body clock seemed to understand that daytime was for napping and nighttime for sleeping very early on.
    Best wishes & luck,
    Jacqui

Hi Jacqui,

That's a fantastic idea! I think I was dreaming about something like that last night (hence my post today!). We also have carpet in the bedrooms so felt pads may cause the hammock not to slide as easily when it's in there - but well worth a try!

Thanks for the encouragement. When I have my baby shower, I think a lot of women are going to wonder what on earth we're doing! I often have the "so, have you got a cot yet?" question and I say I have a hammock - don't go so far as to tell them about our other night sleeping option - unless I think they'd be open. I don't need anyone's advice on that

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast