Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: baby showers

That's the thing, when i have parties or etc i dont expect gifts - they make me feel really uneasy and thats mostly why i probably dont do them. Like i really want to invite family and friends to the christening but the christening is in march, a month after bubbys edd... and i dont want people to feel obligated to buy a gift - but even when you say 'strictly no gifts' someone always does and then the next person feels uncomfortable because they didnt iykwim...

Hi,

A blessingway is a lovely event. Sort of a babyshower with more heart and soul. Surrounding yourself with supportive women who will be with you for the journey. You need not have gifts, or just the home-made and heartfelt ones - poems, wishes, offers of genuine help and support.
    If you google "blessingway" I'm sure you'll find some good ideas
    Barb

Barb thats what i wanted to do but ended up running out of time! Its such a beautiful idead

Another gorgeous thing to do is instead of a gift you get all the women to bring a bead( can be new can be old) that can be thread onto a necklace that you can wear whe you give birth! That way you will have all the wonderfull strength from your friends!

Best of luck with your baby shower hope it goes wonderfully!x

My sister threw me a baby shower before DS#1 got heaps of amazing gifts and a really fantastic time, now her bub is due in 8 weeks so I am throwing her a really great day, bring gifts if you want to but come a long for some fun, a chat (and the occasional horror story)!!! LOL. Everyone to their own but give me a baby shower anyday - so not old fashioned but certainly a lot of fun... go for it!

aimes_08 Guest

i have put on the invite Presents are not needed just your presence is perfect

That's sounds lovely - but I am sure that people will bring gifts as well - have a fantastic time.. xxoo

I am having a baby shower in a month and i cant wait. My baby shower will be with both males and females, it will jsut be one big get together to have a bbq and a good time. I think it is great to catch up with all your mates before bubs arrives i am not expecting gifts but i know that alot of my friends cant help themselves just like me I lvoe going to baby showers and i love being able to buy a small gift for the mummy to be i know i am not expected to buy anything but who can help themselves hehehehe i say go for it and have a lovely day enjoy the attention that will be on you because when bub arrives all eyes are going to be on him/her

How many weeks should you be at when you have a baby shower?

My friend was going to throw mine when i was about 5-6 months but i was barely showing, so she waited until now. It probably depends how comfortable you are. I wish i'd had mine earlier i was so not in the mood on Sunday, and there were people everywhere, wanting to touch my tummy and see the baby move and i just wanted to tell them to p**s off!

ETA - That's not to say i wasn't grateful for the effort she put in, but everyone else was just, argh!
    Last edited by The[cookie]Doctor; January 30th, 2008 at 04:47 PM. Reason: eta

I had many offers of a baby shower when I had my twin girls but declined....if anyone wanted to buy them a gift they could when they were born...I never had a kitchen tea or hens night either...these thinks just get out of hand..

I have only ever been too 1 baby shower in my life and it was my best friends back in November..She did'nt really seem too into it and when I commented to her days later that she got some nice things she said..."yeah I was too tired to notice"...looks like that will be the one and only baby shower I will go to. Her SIL when she had hers gave everyone a list of things she wanted including the brand....what a scab..

Sorry must say they are not for me..I had so much fun purchasing things myself for my girls...

I

i had a shower for both of my babies, this time i wasnt planning on having one, we have everything we need and i know alot of people cant afford things, plus i didnt want to come across as someone that wanted pressies. My mum however has insisted on having a shower with family and close friends, so that we can celebrate the new life, this baby is due a year after my granddad passed on the exact day of his passing. My mum and her sisters have lost their mum and dad in a short time, They wanted to finally have a get together and celebrate something positive in their lives, how could i argue with that.
    The birth of this much wanted and longed for baby is truly a blessing in our family at this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12