View Poll Results: Do You Think Childhood Vaccinations Should Be Compulsory?

Voters
167. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

56 33.53%
  • Undecided

17 10.18%
  • No

94 56.29%
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Do You Think Childhood Vaccinations Should Be Compulsory?

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Do You Think Childhood Vaccinations Should Be Compulsory?

Going by THIS article, apparently 2/3 of Western Australians think so. Comments?

Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

I personally think compulsory vaccination is a huge violation of human rights. We have choice, we deserve them. Who knows what they are going to put in those vaccines, and they already have loads of problems with quality testing and assurance - imagine if that flu vaccine that was giving babies all those convulsions etc happened to all our babies on a mass scale? This is just so so so very wrong. I'll be fighting this one thick and thin.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

NO way, is anyone ever going to make it compulsory to inject harmful toxins into my children and risk advese reactions and an incompromised immune system.

It is so frustrating how many already think that the childhood immunisation schedule is already compulsory. Haven't the government marketing groups done a great job on that one!!

I am personally a little undecided on this issue.
    While I think making this sort of thing compulsory is against human rights, I just can't help shake the niggle that immunisation helps to prevent serious cases of various illnesses, I mean there is a reason why some of the diseases out there are a rare occurance these days .... I would hate to loose a baby to a preventable illness but maybe its because I have already lost a baby that I feel like this

PS. Even if you voted yes, please feel free to share your comments. It's free speech, anyone abusing or flaming others will be dealt with, and if required, banned from the thread/discussion.
    Kelly xx

I see how you can come to that conclusion Nae... I guess we are in a society of things going wrong and being interfered with as well as dealing with loss, that people are now hypervigilant about it and want to do all they can to stop it.
    Kelly xx

I've just watched my mum, who pushing 60, just came down with whooping cough. She wasn't allowed to be around babies under 6 months (for 100 days), so I am selfishly thankful that DD is older and we didn't have to stay away from her. So the diseases are coming back slowly. But I agree with freedom of choice, and I don't believe it should be compulsory, but I get angry when the reason given for not vaccinating is because the diseases aren't there anymore. They aren't there because of the immunisations helping! So that's my standing on the soap box moment!!!

I don't care if they did make them compulsory - I wouldn't do it. What a joke that anyone can think they can tell me what to do with my child.....

Over my dead body would I allow someone to inject that poison into my child's body on mandate.
    The suggestion itself offends me...as does the notion that diseases do not exist simply because the inoculations came about.

Sorry, Lime, didn't mean to offend you or anyone I know that immunisations aren't the sole reason for the diseases going away.

Quote Originally Posted by Corelly View Post
    I've just watched my mum, who pushing 60, just came down with whooping cough. She wasn't allowed to be around babies under 6 months (for 100 days), so I am selfishly thankful that DD is older and we didn't have to stay away from her. So the diseases are coming back slowly. But I agree with freedom of choice, and I don't believe it should be compulsory, but I get angry when the reason given for not vaccinating is because the diseases aren't there anymore. They aren't there because of the immunisations! So that's my standing on the soap box moment!!!
    It could also be argued that the reason why a lot of them aren't around anymore is because we wash our hands more often and have better levels of hygiene, access to health services and better health in general - just food for thought

Nae, I understand what you are saying, but if you feel that way, then you should have the option to use them if you want to kwim - the question isn't about the benefits of vaccination, but rather should people essentially be forced to do it if it were made compulsory. This could be asked about anything - should circumcision be made compulsory because of evidence suggesting it reduces the risk of cancer, or should it be made compulsory that we can't co-sleep because it will reduce the risk of smothering an infant or child - it sets us on a slippery slope towards the Government making all our parenting decisions for us. Heck they have already done it with homebirth haven't they? It is a basic right of being a parent that we are the ones to make the choices about what is the best thing for our children, not the right of the Government. It isn't really about what you would or wouldn't choose (even though I chose NO), but rather having the right to make the decision for yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by Corelly View Post
    I've just watched my mum, who pushing 60, just came down with whooping cough. She wasn't allowed to be around babies under 6 months (for 100 days), so I am selfishly thankful that DD is older and we didn't have to stay away from her. So the diseases are coming back slowly. But I agree with freedom of choice, and I don't believe it should be compulsory, but I get angry when the reason given for not vaccinating is because the diseases aren't there anymore. They aren't there because of the immunisations! So that's my standing on the soap box moment!!!
    So agree with you corelly, I don't want to imagine a world where smallpox is still rife and other killer diseases like diptheria and measles were a scary reality for parents (my grandmother nearly died from diptheria as a child). However I don't think it should be compulsory because once you start forcing people into proceedures, where does that road end? I think the answer is in education from reputable sources and yes there are some very good and very bad ones out there, the hard part is in educating people on what amkes an article a good one.

Trillian - yeah I know thats why I said I was in two minds about it and that I think making this sort of thing compulsory is against human rights. Like most things I do believe in choice but I would also hate to see a child (any child) get sick and die from something that was preventable ITMS??

Nae x x x

I personally believe in the effectiveness of vaccinations and I feel that the benefits of some of them outweighs the levels of toxins they contain... but I am 100% against compulsary vaccinating. I have no qualms what-so-ever with someone else concluding differently to me and choosing not to vax and I also take great offense to the idea that the vax schedule is perfect and would therefore have to be followed to the letter.

I am pro vaccination for my own kids, but a bit mortified at the idea that the choice would be taken away from me. Just as people who don't want to vaccinate their kids want a choice, I want to be the one making the choice to vax my kids because I think it is right not because someone tells me I have to - does that make sense?

I would also consider it a massive violation of human rights for everyone, not just for those that don't want to. We should all be able to make that choice for ourselves doing what we feel is right.

I'm with meow - benefits of some vaccines outweigh the risks.

BUT I do think that vax should be compulsory, because if it's not, a lot of uneducated people would just take the "meh" road. I'm OK with a small percentage of conscientious objection, like many non-vaxers here, but I am not OK with folks like my stepcousininlaw who hasn't vaxed just because she can't be bothered.

Yep Nae, it does make sense I guess I see if from the other side of the fence as well where I would hate to see a child die or get very very ill because of the vaccination - because it has happened - and that's why I think we should never have this decision taken away from us, because sometimes we have to weigh up what the risks are to our children as individuals and not what is for the greater good of the wider community.

*snap* Audax. There will always be people who take that attitude an even if made compulsory, there will still be people who have that attitude and not have it done.

I refused the Hep B vaccine for DD at birth but have followed the schedule since then. This is my choice on her behalf and it's scary to know that taking away that choice is even up for discussion.

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast