Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jolly jumper?

Default Jolly jumper?

How "good" are these for babies?

My friend has one for her little girl and my little one had a go in it the other day. She seemed to enjoy it but I just wonder how good is it for them? Their little hips, their legs etc?

Does anyone else have one for their babies?
    Thanks
    Sue x

hi,im not sure how good or bad,i always thought they were good for them, but my DD loved it from ever such a young age,nothing to do with the jolly jumper but she was late crawling and things so had to go to physio and i asked her aabout it and she said there ok for short periods of time,i couldnt see any harm and my DD just had a ball in it and shes fine walking etc.I got one second hand and it worked fine!

As a baby, my brother didn't sleep, from 3 months to 2.5 years, all he gave mum was 20 minutes each day/night. To keep her sanity, she would put him in the jolly jumper for ages and ages, trying to wear him out. He's now nearly 30 and has no effects from it.

We put DD in hers, after she got the all clear from hip dysplacia, for short amounts of time, and she loved it. Even when she was in her brace, we would pop her in it, she wouldn't bounce but she liked turning around in it and being upright.

The midwife at our birth classes told us they were fine as long as bubba doesn't spend all day in there that's when they can get problems with their hips and also their feet because they use the tips of their toes to bounce so can cause problems with getting them to flatten their feet out. I think its like all things just use it in moderation, Nath has a Jumperoo and he loves it he has a little bit of reflux so its great for him to go in there after a feed to keep him upright of half an hour or so after his feed

Jolly Jumpers are great for small amounts of time . I think the problems only occur if you leave your bub in there for long periods.

Both my boys loved the Jolly Jumper . I couldn't use it for DD because it wasn't safe with her two brothers around wanting to "help" her bounce .

Trish, that's funny! I can just imagine the little rascals sending your DD flying!!!!

Thanks guys, that is all really helpful.

Sue xx

both my girls loved it
    DD2 is out of it now as DD1 would pull her down and sling shot her lol.

we would have them in it for 10-20 min at a time

also tying a balloon to their backs on string long enough to dangle helps them form coordination and keeps them entertained and very entertaining to watch as they try to get it and turn them selves around lol

Baaahhahaahaaa, that sounds like a really funny thing to watch!!

I think that I must invest in a Jolly Jumper!

Yep as everyone else has said they are safe for short amounts of time, you also need to make sure your LO is in it correctly and it's the right height.
    There was some concern a while back about it being bad for baby's backs but I think it was a case of people not following the instructions. I would recommend getting one of the newer ones as they have changed the design a bit to make it safer.
    Hope that makes sense. Cant think straight today.

Hehe, thanks Heather, that does make sense.

I had a look in Big W but didn't see them, not altogether sure where to get one now that I have asked the question. LOL

Sue x

DD1 absolutely loooovved hers and was in it from about 5 months till she could walk. DD2 hates it though so we havent really used it much lately!!!
    DD1 also loved her walker, which is a no no according to some ppl, but she started walking at 12 months and has no issues with her legs.

I think if your baby enjoys it then definetly let her go in it, its so good to see theyre little faces light up when they first work out how to make it work! we also had a music mat that would make different sounds depending on where they land, which DD1thought was pretty cool

Big W do sell them. Maybe they'd run out? They're in a light blue rectangular box and cost about $50 I think, maybe $40. Where do you live? If your near-ish to me you can borrow ours if you like.
    ETA- just noticed you in Bris we got ours at Carindale Big W (at westfield)

Our DD LOVED hers! She thought she was such a big girl being upright on her own and being able to bounce herself (and I'm sure it contributed to her love of all things bouncy now! lol) And all the girls on here have covered anything I could tell you so I won't repeat it
    I know Target have them currently, and it's their big toy sale so they're quite cheap

A friend of a friend's daughter has problems flattening her feet. She's over 2 now and walks on the tips of her toes. But as everyone has said, as long as they aren't in it for long periods of time it should be fine.

My own DD loved hers. It was great through the worst of her reflux to keep her upright after feeds. Although, I haven't used it much since she's been able to sit unassisted.

Quote Originally Posted by Kel001
    (and I'm sure it contributed to her love of all things bouncy now! lol)
    yep here too.

Ooohhh, I got one!!
    They are in Big W after all - totally don't know how I missed them!

just need to get DH to get it all set up for us!

Thanks guys
    Sue xx

YAY! Enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by MummaSue View Post
    I think that I must invest in a Jolly Jumper!
    I highly recommend a Jumperoo over a Jolly Jumper any day. We have both and they are both awesome but the Jolly Jumper needs a doorway to hang it from (difficult in open plan houses!) or an aditional frame. They are also quite small so although my DD is not chubby (at all!), she outgrew it around 7 months (we couldn't do the harness up).

Her Jumperoo on the other hand is still going strong! It has lots of fun things for them to play with on it and they still get to bounce around like a maniac It has been a saviour on many occassions as even now that DD is crawling and cruising, she is more than happy to have a bounce and we know she is safe and happy. The seat is nice and wide, the straps for the bouncing bit are adjustable so it grown with them and it's easy enough to move it to another room or outside.

DD has been loving it since she was 4 months old and she has no problems with walking (with her walkers), cruising the furniture and crawling.

Google Fisher Price for a look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast