Thread: Lavender Oil Bath?

Billy Ocean Guest

Default Lavender Oil Bath?

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if it's ok to put ONE drop of lavender oil in my bub's bath? He's one month old. I told the MCHN I had done it and she didn't say anything except to make sure it's the pure stuff, which I have done.

He sleeps like a log after a lavender bath but maybe too sleepy and not waking properly for the next feed?

I use lavender oil myself, quite a bit, under my pillow and I know even 3 drops makes me quite groggy the next day - a little like a Valium hangover! pmsl

Anyone else using it in their bub's baths?

Kate

I would be putting the 1 drop of lavender oil into about 10mil of a carrier oil (eg sweet almond oil, grapeseed oil etc) and then putting it into the bath. You shouldn't really put an essential oil into a bath (or on skin) just by itself. HTH.

Kate, I use olive oil and lavender oil together for DS's bath. He has beautiful skin

Billy Ocean Guest

Thanks girls! I'll do that tomorrow.

I'm glad you've found something that works so well. The other thing you can use to emulsify the oil (ie make it mix all through the water) is a little bit of milk (a tablespoon or two). Mix the oil into the milk, then add that to the bath.

i use lavender and chamomile in DSs bath.
    If you are going to use a nut oil (apricot kernel, almond etc) just be a bit cautious, for allergies etc.

another thing you can do is to dilute the oil in a carrier oil and rub it on the bottom of his little feet - apparently its a good spot for oils to do their job. I used to do this when dd was little.

Lilyoceanmoon- please dont add the lavender oil by itself, as it is an essential oil and essential oils should be mixed with carrier oils. However I know lavender can be put directly on the skin, but i dont know about putting it on babies skin!
    So just to be safe mix it with some almond oil, or like Janie said olive oil is a good one... Just as some essential oils can burn the skin when used alone..

i too love and rate lavender oil. It is great for relaxing you. I quite often use it on my temples or some drops on my pillow at night.. its a great destresser and is meant to be good for depression

Kate

Lavender oil should be mixed one drop of Lav oil to 5 drops of carrier oil - baby oil is fine or if you want to make a larger amount use 2mls lav oil and 10 mls carrier oil.

I am planning on using 1ml lav oil, 1 ml camomile in 20 mls of carrier and then adding one or two drops to the bath for the baby - it is double dilute but i just want to make sure that there are no reactions.

HTH

Billy Ocean Guest

Thanks heaps everyone. I have some sweet almond oil here but then someone mentioned the allergy - gosh, didn't even cross my mind! I might try the olive oil or something else anyway.

Thanks again, SO MUCH!

Good sleep to all...

Kate
    x