Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Nurofen Vs. Panadol

This article may be of interest, is mentions dosage, timing of dosages as well as using paracetamol and ibuprofen together:http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2...07/2026699.htm

I was under the impression you couldn't use nurofen under 6 months?

I've only ever had panadol here, and have only ever used it probably twice with DS. Just recently bought a new bottle because the old one expired and I just know if I don't have any in the house, that will be the time I'll need it! hehe. Panadol comes with the measurement dispenser thingo too now.

Quote Originally Posted by Liz View Post
    I was under the impression you couldn't use nurofen under 6 months?
    It used to be for only 6months & over but when my DS was around 3months they put a new one on the shelf that could be used for younger babies.

I was also told when I first purchased nurofen...not to use if bubs has something that is going to leave them dehydrated, such as gastro or a high fever....so that fits with what was said in previous post - interesting fact to know. I've used panadol to get a fever down (lucky so far only once for us) & that's what the hosp recommended.

In my case, I don't like using Nurofen too much....so I will use nurofen with panadol "yes" Charlie can be in that much pain when cutting 3 teeth at once & up all night. I will give a dose of nurofen and then several hours later if still very upset & not settled or sleeping I will try panadol instead of giving nurofen again.
    Though if I suspect teething I always give teething gel first & see how that goes...I don't like to use drugs very often as I dont want him getting used to them.
    Last edited by Erin_25; February 13th, 2008 at 10:08 PM.

I have found nurofen breaks DS's fevers and lasts longer when he's really sick. I always use Panadol first and if that doesn't work I will switch to Nurofen. I have never double dosed and would not do so unless under specific Dr's instructions.

I am not overly concerned with Nurofen causing ulcers or the like. Mainly because DS doesn't have enough of it to make such an impact like that.

Thank you everyone for your responses! It really helped! I will probably stick to panadol. I haven't actually given her a lot of drugs so far, so I probably shouldn't start now unless she is really needing it.

As for mixing the Nurofen and panadol, I have to admit, it helps a lot. Being from different types of drugs, I've been told it's perfectly safe as long as you don't do it too often. I did it for my DS only a few times when he's been really unwell. Once again thank you for your input!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Erin_25 View Post
    It used to be for only 6months & over but when my DS was around 3months they put a new one on the shelf that could be used for younger babies.
    I just went looking for it coz if DD is a bad teether I'd consider using nurofen.. but I can't find one that's for under 6 months? There's Nurofen Children, and Nurofen Infant Drops, but both are for 6+ months

Melb - where my coolness isn't seen as wierdness

Nurofen shouldn't be used with children who suffer with respiritory illnesses, such as asthma. Many pharmacists don't ask you if your child has asthma, but they should. They should also be used with caution on children with allergies. My mother is allergic to ibuprofen, as am I, but while hers manifests as swelling on her hands and face, mine makes me very woozy and nauseous. Unfortunately young children can't tell you they're suffering those symptoms, and they may seem subdued but are in fact suffering an allergic reaction to the medication.

My MIL is always saying to me "Oh we never had anyhting like that when my kids were little"...her youngest being 31 and her olderst being 39. Sometimes I think it was easier back then without being bombarded with all this info we get today and with drugs like Kids Panadol etc

I think next time Bailey has a fever I will try the old fashioned way ie sponge bathing him first before giving Paracetamol.

Also, I heard someone in the shops discussing stuff like this the other day and they said Tylanol (sp) was better tasting......is that a product ???? Or did I miss-eavesdrop!

Quote Originally Posted by Vixstar View Post
    My MIL is always saying to me "Oh we never had anyhting like that when my kids were little"...her youngest being 31 and her olderst being 39.
    Same here, "oh, I never gave my boys anything for teething" all said with a tone of superiority. Hypocritical as she admitted to putting brandy in the bottles for colic.

Sorry girls, I have been a while due to work (crappy shifts). In regards to giving both neurofen AND panadol, the Royal Children's in Melbourne issued statement (I think 2 years ago) stating that if giving the two, they should be given together (which means they should be given every 6 hours at the appropriate dose). Previously they were advising that you gave one (eg panadol) and then the other two hours later, keeping in that alternating pattern to achieve maximum analgesic relief. However, they have since discovered (hence the statement a couple of years ago) that the two given together achieves a much better (and effective) level of analgesia for a longer period of time.

There is a neurofen for 3 months+ but it is extremely difficult to get as many pharmacists don't condone its use in that age bracket. It is safe in 6 months plus but it is preferred it isn't used (in a domestic setting) for under 12 months.

HTH

MG

Yeh i only use nurofen with Jesse if he's really sick or teething really bad or something where panadol wont work. It is stronger and you have to make sure they have eaten prior.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12