thread: suddenly terrified of the cot

Sep 2009
    watsonia north victoria

suddenly terrified of the cot

DD is a week short of 19 months, and in the last few days suddenly become terrified of her cot

We have never had issues with her going to bed in her cot (other than the usual protest at certain ages) but this is weird!

The last few nights when we have taken her into her room to put her to bed she has gone stiff and started screaming and gets really upset. So we take her out of her room calm her down, give her a cuddle and go to try again, until we get to her bedroom door and she starts all over again.

We have tried trying to calm her down in her cot but she gets even more hysterical DH put her in our bed to calm down last night and as soon as she layed down she was happy, but wouldnt go to sleep.

I set her porta cot up in her room last night and managed to get her to sleep in that.

She has a night light on her monitor that goes on every night too.

We are going to take the sides off the cot tonight to see if that helps because at child care she is on a matress and after she puts up her usual protest with them goes to sleep happily.
    I tried her matress on the floor last night and it was a no go, once she realized she was in her room she lost it.

Cosleeping is not a option, we are not comfortable with it.

Has anyone elses bub of this age had similar issues?

Anyone have tips to get past this?

Thanks crumpet

2014 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.

Aug 2010
    Over the hills and far away

I don't have any advice. But thought id give you a hug. I'm sure someone will have some tricks. All these different stages can be sooo difficult, until you know how to fix them. Good luck.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.

Rach83 Guest

My dd went off the cot at 21 months after being sick with gastro and sleeping on a matress on the floor with me.

We bought a king single and a bed rail. Never had major problems and it's big enough for me to lay on the bed too if she is unsettled.
    If she was unsettled I would lay with her til she was asleep and I would then sneak out. Sometimes it was a few times a night.

She is now 2 years 4 months and I took the bed rail off last week.

Feb 2010
    on a big patch of paradise.

My only suggestion would be what you have already said you are going to do. DD2 suddenly hated her cot and would not settle in in and was waking about 20 times a night. I changed it to the toddler bed, got her brand new sheets and she was excited and happy and now only wakes a few times but is super easy to settle because I can get to her level and cuddle her.

The other problem though is getting her into her room by the sounds of it. Could you change her room around abit. Sometimes the change is enough excitement for them to be happy in there again.

I hope you get a solution soon

Sep 2009
    watsonia north victoria

I don't have any advice. But thought id give you a hug. I'm sure someone will have some tricks. All these different stages can be sooo difficult, until you know how to fix them. Good luck.

Sent from HTC wildfire using TAPATALK, so forgive any spelling errors its a small keyboard.
    thank you

My dd went off the cot at 21 months after being sick with gastro and sleeping on a matress on the floor with me.

We bought a king single and a bed rail. Never had major problems and it's big enough for me to lay on the bed too if she is unsettled.
    If she was unsettled I would lay with her til she was asleep and I would then sneak out. Sometimes it was a few times a night.

She is now 2 years 4 months and I took the bed rail off last week.
    there is hope yet!

My only suggestion would be what you have already said you are going to do. DD2 suddenly hated her cot and would not settle in in and was waking about 20 times a night. I changed it to the toddler bed, got her brand new sheets and she was excited and happy and now only wakes a few times but is super easy to settle because I can get to her level and cuddle her.

The other problem though is getting her into her room by the sounds of it. Could you change her room around abit. Sometimes the change is enough excitement for them to be happy in there again.

I hope you get a solution soon
    mum has bought her new sheets and big girl bed stuff for when we move her so she is going to bring it down this weekend, and i will rearrange tonight before bed and see if that helps too..

2012 BellyBelly RAK Recipient.
    Add AngelPants on Facebook

Feb 2010
    Under the rock

DS did this at about the same age, just because. We spent a few months of sitting in there next to cot, sometimes holding his hand, until he fell asleep. He's just stopped doing it on a regular basis.

sent from my watzamajig so may not make sense....

BellyBelly Life Subscriber

Jan 2006

Sounds like she just doesn't want to be alone right now It'll pass when she's ready

Dec 2007
    Melbourne

We had the same problem with DD around that age. I tried her on a mattress on the floor and she settled fine. After a month of trying her in her cot then having to use the mattress we just bought her a bed. No problems after that