Thread: Gas Bill

Default Gas Bill

Hi All,

What is your avg gas bill? This is the first time im with Origin and my gas bill is $129!!!!!!!!!!!!!! for the quarter

We only use gas for cooking (rarely) and showering. We are a 2 adult and 1 child household.

Is this correct???

Thanks!

we're on bottled gas - ours is higher than that each fortnight! it's horrible!

my mum was saying she pays 40 per fn on her gas bill - they have gas heating, cooking and hot water - and she is JUST in credit after each quarter, so i'm guessing she is using a bit over 220 per quarter...

ETA - your gas hot water is your killer there hun - it keeps the water hot all the time - so as soon as it cools a bit, it kicks in again and has to reheat the whole lot. takes a lot of gas over the period of a day to do that!

Default Gas Bill

I pay more than that per month for gas in winter for cooking and heating only

Ah damn!

We have never had gas before so i didnt expect it to be that much. I thought i would have saved with gas rather than electricity. Will need to save up for the solar heating one thats for sure.

We had gas hot water at our old house. Can you turn down the thermostat on the water heater a bit? It might decrease the usage a little bit if it doesn't have to heat it up to a higher temperature, and it won't cool down quite so fast.

Ours is about the same per quarter for hot water and cooking only. We're also a 2 adult one kid family, so it sounds about right to me.

Default Gas Bill

I wanted to add, we are with origin.
    In summer when we don't use the heater and it's only cooking, our gas bill is around $30 a quarter because we have solar hot water. It's gas boosted but obviously not a lot.

So it's def the water heating. I think there's still a govt rebate for solar hot water...

We are with AGL and in the summer its about $40 and in the winter about $150? maybe a little more. We only use gas for central heating

sounds pretty good to me.
    Our hot water was only set at about 40degrees. Ours was probably 115 a quarter?

Thanks for clearing that up ladies!
    Dreading my electricity bill now, as we have central heating and apparently that could eat up ALOT!!!! We dont turn it on often but Sydney has had a few very very cold mornings!!!

Our gas bill per quarter is around $150 ... and our electricity bill per quarter (wait for it!) $600-$700 !!!!!! Our gas is hot water and cooking only. But I live in North Qld where we live with the a/c on 24/7 during summer. During winter our electricity bill drops down about half.

I didnt think there was gas in Cairns? MIL uses bottles I think

Our house is about 15 years old and we have a 100lt bottle, but I know my parents (around the corner) have a new house and they have a different set up though.

Im in WA and ours is about $180 a quarter, thats 2 adults, no kids.

Ok, I know this is not strictly what this thread is asking but....

TRU send out a gas bill every 2 months and ours is usually between $120 and $200. Opened the bill a couple of days ago... $489!!!! Huh??? Then I noticed it says 'this account is based on an estimated meter reading'. So I rang TRU, who said that access at our property is difficult (it is) and that they have been estimating our bill since OCTOBER 2009!!! She couldn't explain why they had suddenly estimated that our bill was three times the usual cost, or what method they use for estimation. Anyway, I have refused to pay it until they come out and read the meter... a bit worried that we will get a bill for thousands of $$$ BUT told DH that I would rather pay more for the gas we have actually used than less for someone's random guesstimate.

Anyway... anyone else had trouble with the gas supplier 'estimating' usage??

I'm in Vic and ours is billed every 2mths, I just got a bill for $690 ahhhhh and it's not an estimate, need to be a bit more strict on when we use the heater. Electricity, Gas, Water it's all getting sooo expensive.

we're with AGL and only have 1 gas heater, in winter its between $50-$130 and other quaters are under $50.

i guess it depends on what you use the gas for and how frequently