Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Need ideas - how to reduce grocery bill

We buy no name brand most things as I mainlycook from scratch so I can add my own flavours etc.

I dont buy no name brand toilet paper, toothpaste, stain removal (for washing), dishwashing detergent or washing powder.

I ususally buy mid price stuff, e.g. Not no name brand but not top gourmet stuff... there's me and DP and I spend about $140 a fortnite and then do a top-up shop of about $40 (for perishables we run out of a few days before big grocery day, like milk bread cheese, we have a tiny fridge/freezer so can't buy bulk of these)...I think that's not too unreasonable.
    I don't cook from scratch, I love continental type packet mixes and jars of bolog/carbonara sauce...not everyones cup of tea but I love them!

Best things I've bought in bulk is washing powder and toilet paper (got 32 rolls of TP from big w for $13, and its actually nice, not 1 ply crappy stuff....DP goes thru TP like its going out of fashion and buying it bulk saves so much money!

My guilty splurges are chocolate (its hardly ever on special so ends up like $4 a block and ill eat one just before DP gets hm that day hehehe) and cheese I buy cracker barrell and bega which are expensive and we have cheese on eevrything!

What an awesome thread!
    One thing I can add Willow is if you guys like yoghurt you can make your own for a fraction of the price of buying it ready made (sooo pricey these days). Either using your own culture (just a dolop of ready made good active yoghurt) or using dried yoghurt packets. Dead easy to make. Saves us at least $20 a week (we love our yoghurt). You can also flavour it yourself or add honey for sweetness if needed. I have two families nearby who we have been sharing an active culture with for 2 years now to ensure it never dies between us. Its good to have back up .

I will try and pop back later and create a thread with directions on how to make.

Shalou Guest

We meal plan to keep our shopping expenses down. Since moving to Adelaide where there is almost no supermarket competition from Aldi, Super IGA, Valuemart etc we've had to re examine our budget to make sure we don't over spend. Our budget is $150 a fortnight which covers all our groceries, nappies and petrol for my car. Sometimes it's a stretch to make ends meet but I've learnt to make cheaper meals, I make everything from scratch and make sure that I only make healthy meals which have enough leftovers for hubby's lunch the following day and to buy only what we need and not what we want.

Check out this thread as well for ideas on cooking from scratch! http://bellybelly.com.au/forums/reci...-habit-10.html

It helps once you get your pantry stocked in keeping the food bill down.

Shalou Guest

Thanks for the link

Dusty - that would be great! We spend at least $10 a f/night on yoghurt...don't even talk to me about cheese!

yep we go thru 2 $9 bags of grated cheese and a $7 block of cheese slices a fortnite...one of the only things i splurge on...id rather spend that than eat crappo tasteless cheese lol

Ah being a dairy free house we don't have that expense either

I do buy large bags of rice etc so I buy in bulk those large items.

Thanks for the link Christy.

I have a calculator in my purse because I 'm not good with maths, I use it to work out which produce is giving the best value. I am having a bit of a change in my shopping habits and reducing the amount of times I go near the shops, I find this cuts down on the amount of impulse buying I do.
    Another thing that I have started doing is checking out the reduced to clear items at my local butcher, he stocks a wide range of things like milk, bread, cereals etc at close to the same prices as coles, when milk for example is marked down it still has a couple of days to go so is fine for my family as we go through about 2lt a day.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123