Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How's this for a woman-friendly Ob... (exaggeration)

I think the page on his website where he writes about the old wives tales makes him sound arrogant and condescending. Makes him sound very blunt. Some of the other information on his website is not so bad though. I think he is just obviously not into the more alternative things to do wihth pregnancy and birth.

dont shoot me but besides his overall stance on water births I see nothing wrong with what he has written *ko ducking for cover now*

I particularly like this comment
    I always prefer delivering the baby you want over the delivery you may have preferred.

Rach, that's what I meant about outcomes. But he confers too much power on himself...I like the midwives who insist that it is the mother who 'delivers' the baby
    However, he negates the goodwill in that gesture by making people like me out to be some sort of misinformed deviant.
    I'm just always glad now that my first experience was one shaped by instinct, and not by a traumatic previous experience, like so many women on here and that I know from elsewhere. Someone like him will, hopefully, never enter the equation in my birthing experiences.
    Geez, I have a morbid curiosity to see what he thinks of my intentions to homebirth the next one...with only a midwife and possibly doula present!

Colleen Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Melbo View Post
    Hmmm ... what stuck out for me was this

I think he made it quite clear that it is his opinion and he is as entitled to express it as much as anyone here is entitled to express theirs. Of course, someone who is a devout believer in non-medicalised birth is not going to agree with what he has written but that doesn't make him arrogant, any more than it makes some of the opinions expressed on here arrogant.

And THAT is just my opinion. =)
    I agree with Melbo.

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

And thats fine... some people like the process controlled and certain. Some like the freedom to be in control . But Obs like that offer no choice, which is not good for the unsuspecting.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!
    Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know

at the risk of feeling v ostracised.. i dont agree with all he says but i also dont feel so comfortable on here stating that i do perhaps want a more medically assisted delivery...labour and birth is not something we all feel so comfortable with (yet) and I must admit I find it hard to tell other women that maybe i will ask for lots of med assistance from my OB... I am really not sure what I want yet, I need to do a lot more research, and I do feel that his tone is not my cup of tea but perhaps all of us could be more open to all the diff perspectives? (ie not just those who are more medically interventionist needing to be open to other methods) - surely we all make the choice that we think is best for us and our baby and we should be supported in that and not judged... (ok guess I have lost a few friends thru that one...)

I dont think anyone is judging at all and don't see that here - I believe 110% that confidence in birth is the difference. It's the confidence women feel that will result in a different outcome. It's sadly society, a lack of good support, good education, and lack of maternity care options. It's not the blame of women AT ALL. So no-one please feel judged - it's not that at all.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

BellyBelly Birth & Early Parenting Immersion - Find out how to have a BETTER, more confident birth experience... guaranteed!

All i can say is that i'm extremely fortunate that my Ob's have been interested in and encouraging of the birthing outcomes i have expressed a desire to achieve. There would be no way in hell that i'd allow a Dr like him to have anything to do with such a special moment in my life. Yes - he is entitled to openly express his opinion just as i am entitled to express my opinion about him. IMO he appears arrogant and ignorant of women's needs and desires, and makes labour and birth sound so technical and cold. Not for me.

I have friends who have used him, and they think he is wonderful. He saw me after the birth of my first child, and he is very friendly, but has a cheeky sense of humour. There are some women out there, and i may be one of them, who actually feel a little guilty because we're not into everything natural. After reading this, i probably would feel very comfortable going to see him. I don't think he is being arrogant at all. Obviously he has lots of experience and is just putting forward what he knows. He also mentions that if you don't like his ideas, you don't have to go to him.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; March 26th, 2007 at 02:36 PM.

I actually don't agree he is putting forward what he knows. I think he is putting forward an opinion.
    Some of what he says flys in the face of fact. By making those statements he is disregarding fact, studies and modern obstetric ideals.

It is so right that every woman should choose what birth they want. Some women for varying reasons will choose a medical birth. Others will choose a natural birth. My passion is that women are making an informed choice.The statements this doctor are making do not encourage informed choice. I don't believe that attitude does anyone any justice - a woman wanting a medical birth included.

Is there any website where you would all say there is good info on both medically assisted and more natural birthing choices? I am looking for a site with facts not opinions and no emotion.... I am not being faceitious, I really want the info!

There are plenty of articles on BB with references to study from around the world and the WHO. Including the recent one about cord clamping which the doctor does not agree with.
    Kelly xx

I guess i just don't see which statements disregard fact, studies and modern obstetric ideals.

Yes but he shouldn't bag other womens choices (waterbirth is rubbish? cutting the cord - for heaven's sake?!). Works both ways. He could have been a lot more professional and mature about it, I know his beliefs are held by many Obs... but to be so rude... and scaremongering about death way back when... it's not an information site, it's a business site - you need me because birth is scary and you or your baby could die.

This thread has reminded me of how far we have to go...
    Kelly xx

I've said all I need to and I have no regrets, because I believe we have can have better outcomes for women (that they want and are happy with - who out there really aims for forceps?) that one day wont be so scary to contemplate. I think the fear factor leading them to this now, can be dissipated. Once giving birth in hospital was scary. I believe change can happen and be embraced. Just takes time.

Ps. I have edited the name out of posts.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; March 26th, 2007 at 02:49 PM.
    Kelly xx

I agree Kelly - perhaps i took his words too personally but the impression i got was almost like he was mocking the natural or alternative practices some women choose. I mean he referred to them as 'wives tales' for goodness sakes! Wives tales are things people don't really take seriously. Like others have stated he only mentions maybe one or two actual wives tales. If i wasn't a stronger, informed woman and saw a Dr like him i think i'd feel quite humiliated and shot down about making any suggestions re cord clamping, waterbirth...
    Last edited by *Rae*; March 26th, 2007 at 02:46 PM.

Colleen Guest

I think its a case of choice, if you dont like what he writes, dont read it. I doubt hes lurking in here reading - because he probably disagrees with the forums views.

I think he possibly has old fashioned ways, and from what i see, its about getting the baby here and not about the how.

If he felt that Belly Belly had views and opinions that he didnt agree with - would we stop saying them? So if we disagree and we are confident in our beliefs, these people shouldnt bother you.

As for him saying re: waterbirth - thats still his opinion, medically - and what causes the cord to pulsate?

I agree with the no difference thing too, my mum had a c-sec because of my club feet, i was bottle fed, my cord was cut straight away , i stayed away from my mum for 2 weeks, because she was ill etc... We get along fine, shes my mum and how i got here made no difference to that.

I dunno, i just dont see the point in being angry or annoyed.. IMO

I think i still have the right to be annoyed by an arrogant man in a position of power making such comments about women's birthing choices.

I applaud him for having an excellent reputation and being responsible for many positive birthing outcomes but i don't have to like his personal opinions about issues i actually find important. And i'm fortunate to be a member of a forum where i'm given the opportunity to express my feelings/opinions.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast